Author Topic: Thorson Action 1/4" set box  (Read 9247 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Thorson Action 1/4" set box
« on: September 13, 2018, 09:04:33 PM »
This is what became of the Action 1/4" box J.A.F.E. generously sent me.

Sorry no before pictures.

I removed as much of the paint as possible which was pretty much coming off the outside by itself, not so much on the inside though.
Because I knew it was going to have Craftsman tools inside it and because the little divider bar was already red, I decided to go for a bit of the old Craftsman grey and red style.

My ultimate goal was function, so I decided to do a quick but effective job using what I had.

In using what I have at hand I decided to try a clear coated grey primer to see how it looks, and it's not too bad.
Now my goal was pure function, but the primer grey with the one red part was just too plan.
To me comical stickers and toolboxes are just a classic match, and I just so happened to have the perfect one.
The only problem was that it was old and no longer very sticky, I had the idea to spray down a coat of clear and place the sticker while it was tacky then clear over it afterwards.
We'll see how it hold up.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Thorson Action 1/4" set box
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »
Forgot the last picture.
hd image upload
It seemed a bit empty with just the ratchet extension and sockets, so I included the craftsman ignition wrenches which just happen to match every socket size.

I've gotta say, this thing may have been an inexpensive economy set when it was made ( the label in the lid said $13.28 ) but the case is solid and well made.
As a kid I had an import Western Auto set that couldn't have costed more than $15 and the case which I still have is the flimsiest thing you've ever seen. Cookies come in a sturdier box than that WA 1/4" set came in.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:15:02 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
Came out really nice.

I like the little wrench holder.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »
Came out really nice.

I like the little wrench holder.
Thanks, I believe the piece of wire I had made a from was a bycicle spoke.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 10:03:45 PM »
I think a 1/4" drive spinner handle and fingertip bit driver would be nice additions for that set.

I find 1/4" sockets really handy, and thus get as many accessories as I can that fit them to make the most of 'em.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:13:55 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »
I think a 1/4" drive spinner handle and finger ratchet would be nice additions for that set.

I find 1/4" sockets really handy, and thus get as many accessories as I can that fit them to make the most of 'em.
I'll have to get or make another spinner handle.

At the local hardware they have a box / display of NOS Craftsman finger bit drivers and I may have to get a green one and put a 1/4 adapter in it.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:17:08 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:15 PM »
I think a 1/4" drive spinner handle and fingertip bit driver would be nice additions for that set.

Exactly what I was contemplating finally picking up from the local hardware, they've had a box of them for years.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 10:42:49 PM »
I really like those bit drivers. Quite handy.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

Exactly what I was contemplating finally picking up from the local hardware, they've had a box of them for years.

Yeah, the hardware store had a box of them in different colors. Most probably Chinese-made.

This one I picked up probably 7 years ago, and it was the first I'd seen. Being US-made didn't hurt. And being Craftsman had a lifetime warranty, FWIW

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 10:59:19 PM »
I went ahead and made something.

I took a Craftsman 1/4 adapter bit that came with the old light driver ( of you don't know what it is consider yourself lucky ), and pressed it into of all things a stripped adjustment " wingnut " ? That came from my Craftsman router.
It would be cool if it said Craftsman on it, but I don't mind because it happens to work great and looks cool too.

I like it enough that it'll probably be the winning ticket for the set, while I think the little Craftsmans are cool and I still plant to pick one up it won't likely be for this set.

This will be my garage set, so I really don't need this one little box to be super inclusive all by itself.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:08:08 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »

I took a Craftsman 1/4 adapter bit that came with the old light driver ( of you don't know what it is consider yourself lucky ), and pressed it into of all things a stripped adjustment " wingnut " ? That came from my Craftsman router.
It would be cool if it said Craftsman on it, but I don't mind because it happens to work great and looks cool too.

I like it enough that it'll probably be the winning ticket for the set, while I think the little Craftsmans are cool and I still plant to pick one up it won't likely be for this set.

This will be my garage set, so I really don't need this one little box to be super inclusive all by itself.

Shoot, if it work's who cares?    8)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »

Shoot, if it work's who cares?    8)
Should be a decent set if it sees much use.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
I had some minor work to do on the vacuum cleaner so I figured I'd give this set a try.
The little driver tool works really well, it just needed a bit of gripping area down at the end so I can spin it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 03:59:31 PM »
You are just a regular MacGyver aren't you. I really like the way you come up with solutions to your ideas. 8)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 06:10:58 PM »
You are just a regular MacGyver aren't you. I really like the way you come up with solutions to your ideas. 8)
Thanks.
I really like to be able to throw together my own version of something, Its not identical to anything you can buy but does the same thing and allows me to try out a form of tool for free.
Always lookin' to learn