Author Topic: Continental F227 rear main seal  (Read 8597 times)

Snaparxon

Continental F227 rear main seal
« on: September 14, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »
Had a for forklift with a small leak on the rear main. Unknowingly I figured the rear main would be typical 2 piece rubber seal, pull the pan and replace re-install pan and I'm done. WRONG!  Had to totally disassemble the bottom end and remove the crank. 4 months later after the shop has slowed down, it is time to reassemble. The service manual is very vague so I'm hoping someone here has experience with these engines and has tips on installing the 2 piece rope seal.

Offline oldnslo

Re: Continental F227 rear main seal
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:24:33 AM »
I've replaced a few rope style rear mains, and it typically can be done with the crank in place. Regardless, your crank is out.

Place the rope seal in the upper location, trim edge just slightly proud of the casting (journal).
Do the same on the lower journal. Typically, there is a small "prick" in the rope seal well.
Lubricate seal with oil
Torque to specs

There is a tool for replacing in situ. Here is one example: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769205

Snaparxon

Re: Continental F227 rear main seal
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:21:09 PM »
I've replaced a few rope style rear mains, and it typically can be done with the crank in place. Regardless, your crank is out.

Place the rope seal in the upper location, trim edge just slightly proud of the casting (journal).
Do the same on the lower journal. Typically, there is a small "prick" in the rope seal well.
Lubricate seal with oil
Torque to specs

There is a tool for replacing in situ. Here is one example: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769205

Thanks for replying. The mains and rod bearings were marginal so I tore it down left the pistons in place and pulled the crank. Takes 3 people to put the crank in and hold all 6 rods in place :).

The groove for the seal is like 3/16" wide and maybe that deep plus it has small ridges to bite in to the seal so I don't think I would have been able to pull it out and pull or roll another one in. In hindsight I may have been able to roll the part that the rope fits in to out since it is not part of the block  and then install the rope and roll in both pieces together IDK.