Author Topic: Let's see your bicycle tools!  (Read 34263 times)

Offline bonneyman

Let's see your bicycle tools!
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
I've been finding alot of bike tools lately, figured we could re-boot the old thread.

In the mean-time, post up your cycling implements! Home-made tools especially welcome.

Here are some of my recent grabs:

A Spin Doctor chain stretch measuring tool, a Campagnolo pedal nut wrench, a Park offset brake wrench, and a Sugino chainring nut wrench.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/spin-doctor-400625#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:6&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

https://www.parktool.com/category/tools
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:19:23 PM by bonneyman »

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Let's see your bicycle tools!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »
Dupe...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:15:06 PM by strik9 »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
I have pared back to what keeps up our stuff and sold off most of the bling. 

Maybe some is crappy looking but it is more than adequate.  Three other bike shops have gotten most of the pro and semi pro tools.

Pics coming..  be calm...

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »
More basics

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
Freewheel disassembly tools and my cheapi allens

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »
A Schwinn-approved tire pressure gauge I no longer have. Very finely made, had a valve core remover in the butt end.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
Bottom bracket tools and crank arm remover.

Various pin spanners. Got an old Williams in there!

My container of freewheel removers. A few old and NLA ones, plus a cassette tool or two.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 04:01:18 PM »
Chain de-riveters and spoke wrenches, along with some schrader core removal tools and thread chasers. Plus an assortment of stubby and mini screwdrivers for all the tiny adjustment screws one finds on a bike.
The Park CT-5 chain tool and the RavX 4-in-1 spoke tightener are by far the best at their jobs.

https://www.parktool.com/product/mini-chain-brute-chain-tool-ct-5

https://www.amazon.com/RavX-TX2-Hook-Spoke-Wrench/dp/B0060ZCN40/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1539378408&sr=1-14&keywords=spoke+wrench+bicycle
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:09:13 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »
Wrenches for cones, axle nuts, jam nuts, and the like. A pair of Heyco's in metric, and some older American DOE's and tappet wrenches pulling cone adjustment duty. Plus an old Williams engineers wrench in 19/32" which will work on 15mm.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
I sold near all the bottom bracket hook wrenches after I tried that HDX plumbing wrench.  Seems many guys here just used whatever as few knew about those marvels.

I only deal in cheapo bikes so the two freewheel sockets are cheap generic Shimano style.  One is welded to a bar of steel.  Quite handy.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 04:12:11 PM »
Brake tools. Two "third hand" tools (they hold the caliper with the pads against the rim to free up your hands). And Park's Fourth Hand tool that grabs the end of the cable, tightens it, and holds it taught while you tighten the holding nuts.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:22:54 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
I sold near all the bottom bracket hook wrenches after I tried that HDX plumbing wrench.  Seems many guys here just used whatever as few knew about those marvels.

I only deal in cheapo bikes so the two freewheel sockets are cheap generic Shimano style.  One is welded to a bar of steel.  Quite handy.

I've done that with a pipe wrench or Knipex. You do what you gotta do!  :D

And I'd say 90% of most freewheel bikes use either the Shimano or Falcon tools. Since I work on older bikes for friends I never know what I'll have to remove, (so when a local bike shop closed up 3 months ago I raided their tool bin and snagged some really nice vintage freewheel tools). But then I push real hard to have them replace their original with a newer freewheel that uses one of the two common tools.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »
When I was 13 I got a Raliegh 3 speed "English Racer". Rode it until I got my license at 16 and never rode it again. Kind of wish I had it now. I fixed everything on it but never had any bike tools just whatever general tools I had - I couldn't afford the specialty tools. Never really needed any aside from marring stuff with the wrong tools and I don't think I cared. It had the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and the only time I came close to needing anything specialty was when I broke the little chain on the shifter coupling link that goes into the hub to change gears but there was JUST enough I was able to get it out without having to open the hub.

Oddly, I have a couple specialty tools now and I'll take a pic and post them when I have a chance.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
When I was 13 I got a Raliegh 3 speed "English Racer". Rode it until I got my license at 16 and never rode it again. Kind of wish I had it now. I fixed everything on it but never had any bike tools just whatever general tools I had - I couldn't afford the specialty tools. Never really needed any aside from marring stuff with the wrong tools and I don't think I cared. It had the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and the only time I came close to needing anything specialty was when I broke the little chain on the shifter coupling link that goes into the hub to change gears but there was JUST enough I was able to get it out without having to open the hub.

Oddly, I have a couple specialty tools now and I'll take a pic and post them when I have a chance.

As with virtually every other old time bike maker Sturmey-Archer got bought out. Good news is the sale was by a Taiwanese company that kept the old parts in production and actually made improvements to the line.  They even came out with new products. At least one old time bike manufacturer saved! 8)

http://www.sturmey-archer.com

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
Sorry for taking this a little OT I have been considering getting a bike. I was familiar with the three speed and as a kid rode it all over Pittsburgh (which is pretty hilly) but not sure if a five (or 10) speed would be a smarter choice. Not very hilly around here and it would be more for exercise than transportation and I'm a lot older now.

I was glad to see SA is still around in some form, thanks Bonneyman!
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Chain de-riveters and spoke wrenches, along with some schrader core removal tools and thread chasers. Plus an assortment of stubby and mini screwdrivers for all the tiny adjustment screws one finds on a bike.
The Park CT-5 chain tool and the RavX 4-in-1 spoke tightener are by far the best at their jobs.

https://www.amazon.com/RavX-TX2-Hook-Spoke-Wrench/dp/B0060ZCN40/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1539378408&sr=1-14&keywords=spoke+wrench+bicycle
I really love that last loop handle screwdriver.

Btw do you have any clue on the MFG for that little yellow spiral handled standard driver ?
I've got one and I really love it, and it seems to be of good quality.
The tips remind me of a partial set of Rosco's I've got from my grandfather.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »
Here's most of what's in my bike tool kit

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
Sorry for taking this a little OT I have been considering getting a bike. I was familiar with the three speed and as a kid rode it all over Pittsburgh (which is pretty hilly) but not sure if a five (or 10) speed would be a smarter choice. Not very hilly around here and it would be more for exercise than transportation and I'm a lot older now.

I was glad to see SA is still around in some form, thanks Bonneyman!

My hybrid that I pictured in the bike thread is a 14 speed (2 in front, 7 in back). No need for more gears and complexity. The best of both worlds.
It's a mountain bike aluminum frame and fork, but with mostly road components. Since I don't do downhill racing I don't need a full-tilt off-road setup - road parts are just fine. Plus I picked older "obsolete" parts and they were had cheap because everyone wants the latest and greatest.
And though I have wider mountain bike rims - being 700c - I run narrower hybrid tires. Less weight than full MTB tires, thicker and more comfy than narrow racing slicks. Overall work great, my paint job, but nothing anybody would want to steal.

Most important recommendation - get Schwalbe tires. Not cheap, but right near the top and the customer service is top notch. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »

Btw do you have any clue on the MFG for that little yellow spiral handled standard driver ?

Couldn't say offhand. I could dig it back out and see if there's a mfg name on it.
To be brutally honest for the longest time whenever I came across some off beat tool I'd toss it in the bike box. It just became the residence of everything I couldn't fit in another box. Then I open it up to do an adjustment and scratch my head saying, "Where the heck did this stuff come from"?  :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:25:06 PM by bonneyman »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »
Hick, that looks more than enough to keep up s bike or two.  I had less a long time and never noted anything I could not fix.

They are simple machines and unless you run exotic Italian parts or build custom wheels it will hold a long time. 

Years ago I needed a flat driver and quickly beat a loop handle driver out of mild steel rod.  Used it on one job and forgot about it.  I recently refound it down at the burn pit and cannot recall if I saved it. 

Wasn't worth a mouse turd then and less now. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 09:04:33 PM »
Hick, that looks more than enough to keep up s bike or two.  I had less a long time and never noted anything I could not fix.

They are simple machines and unless you run exotic Italian parts or build custom wheels it will hold a long time. 

Years ago I needed a flat driver and quickly beat a loop handle driver out of mild steel rod.  Used it on one job and forgot about it.  I recently refound it down at the burn pit and cannot recall if I saved it. 

Wasn't worth a mouse turd then and less now.
Minus the place tool that's misplaced at the moment I think a chain breaker is all I might need if that, I've got along without it long enough.

These tools are definitely more than enough for the old Dahon Stowaway there and for my grandfather's beach cruiser for sure.
Of course a 15mm socket is often handy for the wheels.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
Still have the bloody thing....  why?   

Lol!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:44 PM »

Couldn't say offhand. I could dig it back out and see if there's a mfg name on it.
To be brutally honest for the longest time whenever I came across some off beat tool I'd toss it in the bike box. It just became the residence of everything I couldn't fit in another box. then i open it up to do an adjustment and scratch my head saying, "Where the heck did this stuff come from"?  :D
Thanks anyway.
I'm sure like mine it's probably not marked, beyond looking cool I just found it really handy of an overall size and functional grip. I wouldn't mind finding a Phillips counterpart one day if they exist.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 09:08:49 PM »
Still have the bloody thing....  why?   

Lol!
I've got something along these lines I made from a hex key, but I can't find it atm.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
Thank you for that advise Bonneyman!

I think the small screwdriver with Al handle and the small loop handle are for sewing machines.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 10:40:36 PM »
Thank you for that advise Bonneyman!

I think the small screwdriver with Al handle and the small loop handle are for sewing machines.
Could be, I've also seen very similar bent loop handle screwdrivers in maintainence kits for Underwood typewriters.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 11:02:59 PM »
My wife had a sewing machine handed down to her by her mother that had a loop handle screw driver with it. If it was original to the machine I have no way of knowing. Something I bought once came with one but I no longer recall what it was.

Probably came with a lot of things. Come to think of it I believe Erector Sets came with one.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 11:59:04 PM »
All I know is that it's just perfect for derailler adjustment screws.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 12:20:12 AM »
I got one I'll have to see where I put the other. I know it was put where it would be easy to find. Found the patent was pretty easy to find.

[/url]

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2018, 12:57:41 AM »
I got one I'll have to see where I put the other. I know it was put where it would be easy to find. Found the patent was pretty easy to find.

[/url]

That's a real interesting tool there, if I saw one somewhere I'd probably think it was a handheld jewlers vice or something
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2018, 01:10:06 AM »
It probably could be used for that if the captured piece was small.

This one is unusual as it is smaller than most.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 06:55:00 PM »
Some old carry on tools

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
More...

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 06:57:53 PM »
Some dogbones...

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 12:52:12 PM »
Some dogbones...
I've got one or those top style ones that I got somewhere i don't remember.
A couple months ago I attempted to use it for the first time and it just busted open on me, it was so easy that you might think it was pot metal.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
Because most are pot metal.  Pure junk.

Three of those are bronze.  None fit modern bikes...

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 06:29:08 PM »
Because most are pot metal.  Pure junk.

Three of those are bronze.  None fit modern bikes...
Makes perfect sense.
A 6" adjustable would probably he a much better choice, hell some Oxwall wrenches would even be a better choice  ;D
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »
That sounds like a really good topic for a doctoral thesis for some student in metallurgy. "Pot metal dogbone wneches vs Oxwall Quality stamped steel wrenches to repair a modern bicycle".

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2018, 07:24:22 PM »
Lol!

One of the potmetal dogbones is an Oxwall.

The bigger sized stamped Oxwall are good cone wrenches.  I have and use some.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »

... One of the potmetal dogbones is an Oxwall. ...

That really throws a curve in that thesis doesn't it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2018, 10:54:22 PM »
Lol!

One of the potmetal dogbones is an Oxwall.

The bigger sized stamped Oxwall are good cone wrenches.  I have and use some.
They are definitely thin enough, I actually need a new cone nut wrench because my current one is soft and deforming from minor use.
  I'm probably just gonna take a cheap wrench and thin it down.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 11:34:18 PM »
Just grab every cheap stamped wrench between 8-17mm you can for a while.  I guarantee in the pile there will be five so perfect as cone wrenches.

I just used a 17 and a quad sized doe to adjust on my junker and a beer cost more than all the tools involved.  The best multi wrench in useful factor was found in a hole in the street near my home. 
     It took a bit of effort to beat back the rust but the silly thing has been nothing but useful.  Every other like it since has not been.  And I paid for them!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 11:55:05 PM »
I'm not much of a rider so this may a pretty basic question but is it common to adjust the cone bearings during normal riding or is that more the type of maintenance done at home/shop?

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2018, 12:35:56 AM »
The quality of bike parts is not improving on the low end stuff and sadly bearing or race failure is common.  I have had too many bearing failures with this last junker and most times it barely got me to home or the shop. 

A good bike with good hubs will go years between services.  Its just a good idea to clean and lube yearly if it sees heavy seasonal use.  Adjust properly and its good to go.

I have all my parts at home so I try to get there to do major repairs.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2018, 02:26:27 AM »
My last bike was a Raleigh 3 speed that looked pretty much like the one in the picture when I got it except for some minor details. I last rode it when I got my permit to drive and haven't seen it since. Not sure what happened to it.

I had to do very few repairs to it really aside from tires and brakes. Especially brakes - they were kind of crappy truth be told.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »
Jafe,

I think I had that same Raleigh bike in the early-to-mid 1960's.  It replaced my Western Flyer coaster brake bike.  I think the Raleigh actually outweighed the WF bike if memory serves.  I always assumed the British skinny-wheeled & tired bikes would be lighter... but not so :-\ 
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »
It was kinda heavy but I didn't know any better. The chain guard came off first, then the fenders. First time I rode on a wet road I discovered why the fenders had been put on but by then who knows where they were. My mother was not happy with the mud racing stripe down my back that much I do recall. Then I put on the lowered racing style handle bars. I really liked those but I never put on the hand brakes with the extra lever so I could only use the brakes in the lowered stance.

It was a nice bike though and I wouldn't mind still having it. It also replaced a coaster brake bike but I don't recall what kind.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Bman & other bikers,

Do you know what a Parks Tool BT3 is?  I can't seem to find this tool in the current Parks catalog and I don't have any older Parks catalogs.

Any help appreciated...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
BT is brake tool.  Its for brakes but I have no idea what it looks like.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
10-4 It's a brake tool.

Probably meant for cold-bending the pad calipers to get them perpendicular to the rime. Most people use Crescent wrenches for this job, but Park used to make the tool to do that without marring and with more control. Here's one for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-Discontinued-But-INVALUABLE-BT-3/223204603410?hash=item33f807f612:g:vGAAAOSwHctburR2:rk:1:pf:0

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
Bman & Strik,

Thanks for the quick reply.  You've confirmed my guess.

I doubt I will use it for a brake tool... more likely as a light duty body tool for straightening sheet metal brackets and flanges.

Here's a quick pic:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:10:19 AM by lauver »

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 12:51:04 AM »
Not sure of the time line, but I think this is a pretty old bicycle wrench.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:29 AM »
That is Siriusly cool.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 02:31:44 AM »
Orville and Wilbur Wright would have known that wrench with a new bike.  Its quite old.

Nice find.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »
That is a pretty rare wrench. Back in the analog days, you would need that to tune your rabbit ears to gain the best reception. With the advent of Sirius digital streaming XM radio, those wrenches have been replaced by credit car swipers and Facebook logons.

Offline CRTDI

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »

Interesting, looks like it might be Siriusly French..

And Siriusly old.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
This cable cutter was a sweet deal at the dirt market a few weeks ago. Sadly, I knew it was missing the expansion spring. Park tools no longer makes this version of the tool, and the spring is not available. A standard expansion spring didn't quite scratch the itch and would bend over and kink the spring because of the long length needed.

Fast forward to me spotting a vintage pair of rusty gardening clippers that had the correct spring at a swap. After an EvapoRust bath, my 50c investment has brought these back to life.

These cable cutters have a wider width cutting edge for support, and do a great job making a crisp cut. I had been using side cutters for-ev-ah with decent, but not perfect results.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2018, 08:26:12 AM »
My last bike was a Raleigh 3 speed that looked pretty much like the one in the picture when I got it except for some minor details. I last rode it when I got my permit to drive and haven't seen it since. Not sure what happened to it.

I had to do very few repairs to it really aside from tires and brakes. Especially brakes - they were kind of crappy truth be told.

I have one of those, sans mudguards and chainguard, in the shed. It doesn't get ridden very often, but it is a favorite. It is also a pretty early one, as they changed the brake cables in '65 and mine are the older ones. Makes part hunting difficult. I will put up a pic later.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »
Latest addition: a cone wrench made by Park Tool. 13mm x 14 mm
Retail is $5 and change - I paid 50 cents.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
The latest addition to the fold.  A bike repair stsnd I made on a whim.  Solid and this 2nd version looks good

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »
Well, I found a steel tool at a rummage sale, and the ends look eerily similar to a park brake tool that is no longer available.

The BT3 brake bending tool is for the older aluminum brake arms. They need to have a slight toe-in on the front edge of the pad to brake properly. Being aluminum the arms are easily twisted out of whack by any number of things. While many mechanics use an adjustable wrench to re-bend the brake arms Park came up with a nicely made wrench to do the job. Since it's been discontinued, I've tried to find one reasonable and haven't been able to.

Enter my piece of steel. 11 1/4" long and 3/8" thick. The two end openings are 9mm and a tad over 5.5mm. Asked on the bike forum if anyone with the BT3 tool if they could measure the opening. A member responded and said he measured 5.6mm. So I'm in business.

I think the chunk of steel was worth $1. Can't figure out who made it or what's its OEM purpose was. Though I suspect it had an auto brake function. Say a disc brake rotor straigtener?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 08:23:30 AM by bonneyman »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2021, 09:48:47 PM »
Recent additions to the Park tool box. L to R are:

Third hand brake tool - holds calipers shut (or close to) in order to snug the brake cable.

Campagnolo specific bottom bracket wrench - wont mar your aluminum bearing cups

Headset race removal tool - folks often use long punches or screwdrivers to accomplish the same thing, but do mar the races

Spoke tension gauge. Yes truing your wheel also means correctly tensioning the spokes.