Author Topic: Any cigar smokers on the GG?  (Read 138967 times)

Offline highland512

Re: Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 10:04:40 PM »
I guess I’m much less fancy than you guys. My taste are simple cheep but it suits me just fine.

Offline muddy

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 10:09:02 PM »
My indulgence for tonight....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
Wow Muddy, drinking a Coors.  I used to be a Coors drinker.  I quit for a while then started drinking Yuengling.  I tried a Coors and really didn't like it.  All a mute point now but I am surprised you like Coors

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »
Wow Muddy, drinking a Coors.  I used to be a Coors drinker.  I quit for a while then started drinking Yuengling.  I tried a Coors and really didn't like it.  All a mute point now but I am surprised you like Coors

LOL -- Remember back in the day Phil when Coors was as rare as "Hen's Teeth" here on the east coast? At that time (in the 1970s) it was considered a Deluxe beer in my neck of the woods because it wasn't sold here. Now it seems like our western brethren have the same qualms about Yuengling. Very hard to get in the western part of the country --

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »
I remember a guy spending $6 a 6 pack in the mid to late 70's for it when other good beer was under $2 or so.  Thought he was crazy

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
Funny about Coors growing up in the east I recall it being kind of exotic mostly I guess because you couldn't get it. I, like almost everyone else I knew, drank Iron City. That you couldn't get out here but at the time I could get Lone Star which I liked.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
Funny about Coors growing up in the east I recall it being kind of exotic mostly I guess because you couldn't get it. I, like almost everyone else I knew, drank Iron City. That you couldn't get out here but at the time I could get Lone Star which I liked.

Beers used to be very regional at one time. Another thing that makes a huge difference in taste is the alcohol content. I grew up in SoCal and all beer sold was 3.2%. Coors in 3.2% tastes like crap to me but when I got some 6% in Colorado it wasn't bad. My relatives in the Midwest thought we were nuts for liking Grain Belt but it had far more flavor than CA beer. I used to bring cases of 6% beer back from states that sold it.

A good friend ran a beer distributor out in the CA desert. He told me that Coors was only 2.7% and Bud was 3.999999% as it had to be less than 4% which explains Bud popularity in CA at the time. One day our friend showed up at my folks house with a pallet of Heineken 6% cans. He had been sent them by mistake in a shipment and was told don't send them back but dispose of them as they couldn't be sold in CA. It was a lot of work but we disposed of them. ;D   

Offline highland512

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »
Lone Star and fajitas   >:D >:D That lands close to the top of best meals in my book.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 04:44:38 PM »

Lone Star and fajitas   >:D >:D That lands close to the top of best meals in my book.

Don't forget the Bob Wills music...

EDIT: Not sure why the title doesn't show - "Lone Star Beer and Bob Wills Music" by Red Steagall
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:21:27 PM by J.A.F.E. »
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »
Yeah only Banquet though no light for me.

My brother in law drinks it so I've gotten used to it. I'll buy a 12 pack of it every now and then.

Yuengling is still my favorite, more then likely always will be.

Ever hear the song Colorado Cool Aid? :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »
Like Waylon says, Bob Wills is still the king!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »
Only time I ever drank lite beer is when it was the only beer available.

Offline muddy

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »
Only time I ever drank lite beer is when it was the only beer available.
Same here

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »
Bought an early Christmas present. I hate having to maintain humidors -- the fluid and temps are never really right. So I spent $180 and bought a temp controlled thermoelectric refrigerated cigar humidor. It keeps the temps optimal between 54 and 72 for cigar aging and maturing using a thermoelectric heat exchanger rather than a conventional compressor. It's very quiet and energy efficient.

To humidify it comes with a water tray, or as an alternative, I use cigar specific Boveda humidity packs that are designed to provide humidity/moisture in pre-selected humidity ranges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boveda-62-Small-8-Gram-2-PACKS-2-WAY-Humidity-Control-2-Way-Humidor-Cigar/192512674049?hash=item2cd2a64901:rk:1:pf:0

Cedar trays and shelves provide storage for about 300 cigars -- and they will stay in perfect condition in this manner for many years. I change the Boveda bag once every three-four months to keep the humidity in the 72% range.

The reason I bought this little unit was this --- a box of  true Cuban Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure cigars. Bought them on a trip overseas and wasn't going to spoil them in a cheap wooden humidor. Yes, US Customs allows you can bring in a limited supply for your own consumption when coming back from overseas.

Beautiful -- and the smell is downright intoxicating. For my taste, nothing beats a true Cuban cigar. Unfortunately there are so many counterfeits out there that it's hard to find them. The tobacconist in Switzerland, where I got these said that in industry circles the consensus is that pretty much any Cuban cigar sold in discount on-line stores, or in the Caribbean tourist destinations, are most likely counterfeit. Not just counterfeit, but in some recent cases full of diseased and moldy floor sweepings. It occurs so often that it has literally become a significant health hazard.

These babies are the real deal -- They'll sit in this humidor to age for a year and then get smoked starting in mid-2020.

I have a few more boxes coming, but this is the start of a good cigar aging system --

Cheers --

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:26:47 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
Wow, didn't know cigar buying, keeping and smoking was such an art. 

Would love a cigar but won't take the chance of getting hooked on cigarettes again.  Smoked them for 25 years and have been off of them for 18.  And am fortunate to not have any cravings, never really did after the first 6 months or so