Author Topic: warrenty  (Read 14919 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: warrenty
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »
There is always someone willing to abuse the system no matter which system it is. I was in Costco one day a few years back waiting to renew my membership and in this store that line is next to the return line. A guy in the return line had what looked like a 10 year old printer he was trying to return. No cords, no software, no box and of course no receipt. The return clerk was saying Costco never sold that printer and this moron is insisting he did. Naturally he had kids with him teaching them honesty and integrity. I don't know what the outcome was they were still discussing the situation when I was done but no wonder Costco changed it's return policy.

Companies must be aware of the abuse and find some level where the losses from abuse and customer considerations balance. Some, like Costco, seem to find a reasonable balance.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
I went into Lowes today to exchange a Craftsman Philips screwdriver. I was told they only carry Craftsman tool sets  and can't warranty screwdrivers at this time. Maybe in the future. I will see what Ace Hardware  has to say.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
As a young man just starting out I abused the system a lot on Craftsman tools. They were my go to tools. Crafty 1/2er ratchets were gold back then. Beat on them, cheater pipe, submerge them in whatever. they were garanteed ;D I recall taking one to get rebuilt just about everyday on one project in east Texas.

I would be too embarrassed to do that today, but back then that was it was. we was too poor to buy another one.

I don't recall getting many new ratchets, mostly rebuild kits. and a few that were rebuilt and just traded out.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »
I've never had to warranty a CM tool and have been using them for well over 40 years. I have found or ended up with buying used tools several 3/8dr 5/8 deep sockets that were cracked. I didn't buy them new or break them so I threw them in the scrap and would never warranty them. I just don't have it in me to do that.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »
I've only seen Craftsman sockets cracked - never had one do that during use. I had had one or two strip out after many years, but heck - I've seen stripped out Bonney sockets! If a fastener gets worn or damaged and it's in a high torque situation I think sockets are going to strip out, regardless of the brand.
I've seen more flare fittings buggared than regular hex bolts - I guess most flare wrenches run a bit big on tolerance or they start spreading under load and slip.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
Yesterday I took my mother to the only Sears store left in the Buffalo area to get some winter cloths. I brought my 2 screwdrivers in for warranty and they exchanged them without a problem. They said this store wasn't closing as of yet.  While I was there I picked up 2 Craftsman  hex / torx bit socket sets that are normally $ 99.95 for $ 24.95 each. Christmas presents for my nephews.