Author Topic: New project  (Read 30192 times)

Offline Heiny57

Re: New project
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2020, 08:37:01 PM »
While fixing the diff seal leak and torn cv boot I discovered the brakes are dragging and the outside pad is half worn out while the inside looks new. While I have it jacked up I may as well clean the rusty assembly and try to free up the caliper movement. What type of brake grease should I use on the slides and rubber. There are a few different types and I don’t read Japanese so any help would be appreciated.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2020, 09:14:21 PM »
Get some NAPA Syl-Glide Bob. It's silicone based, heat resistant, and pretty friendly on the rubber pieces.

If the caliper is sticking slightly, you may have to remove the piston and hone the bore a bit. If it's totally frozen, then a replacement may be called for.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651351

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2020, 05:08:17 AM »
Thanks Ray on the lube info, and I was thinking I might  need to try and hone it. I guess I will have something to tinker with this weekend.
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »
I managed to disassemble without ruining anything, so far. It was frozen and I had to beat it apart. I will buy a hone tomorrow and work the inside and I removed this gunk with a dremel  wire wheel.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:08:46 AM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2020, 08:39:13 PM »
I found a Dorman universal boot kit to replace my torn original on the cv shaft that had the leaking seal also.
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2020, 08:45:01 PM »
After the work underneath was down with seals, brakes and cv boots, I flushed and bled the brakes. Handy place to fill reservoir.
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2020, 08:04:35 AM »
 Testing
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2020, 10:57:48 AM »
Hey, the pics are upright so far. I bought these Air shocks in a kit with the front springs back pre Corona. ( apocalypse) I installed them about 30 days BC. ( before corona). So I have time this 17th day AC to post because the sh&$ bag framers didn’t show up this morning at 7:00 as promised.  :41:

So I will stumble forward because I have nothing else to do right now. The kit come with shocks /\ see above ,and air lines with dandy multi lingual detailed instructions .  They are going to replace these cute little shocks that would be more suited for PEP’s RC cars.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:01:37 AM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2020, 11:47:58 AM »
After removing the old shocks I discovered the mounting stud was to short to get the nut started on the wider shock. I promptly employed my shock bushing reducing machine to remedy the interference. I am glad I had invested in that years BC. I then completed that part of the install with the provided washer. Nice touch from the seller.
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2020, 12:38:12 PM »
Next it was on to the air lines. I grabbed the instructions and read up. I located a gas tank brace that was perfect for the air line tee to mount to so I grabbed my drill and a 1/4 inch bit as directed in the instructions. Wait... that doesn’t look right. 1/4 inch is to small for the valve stem. So I got a 5/16 and drilled the right size hole. I ran and trimmed the lines up out of harms way the best I could and used a combination of zip ties and the nifty line clips provided.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:41:45 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2020, 01:02:48 PM »
So now all that is left is a quick air up and go test drive.  :91:
It won’t take air.  What the heck! Upon closer inspection the valve core was cross threaded. So I got my valve tool out and removed the damaged valve and chased the threads to except a new one.
 :38:
No valves in toolbox. I guess it has been over a decade sense I have messed with motorcycle or quad tires. ( I have tire shops do my real vehicles). Off to part store.
Well, it aired right up after installing a new valve and I can’t find any leaks so I guess I’m ready for a test drive. I spun around the neighborhood and hit a few bumps.

I come to the conclusion that the new shocks have provided no real improvement over the old worn out ones.  :))

And as far as the useless instructions go........ I will save them for when I run out of toilet paper. At least I will get something out of this project.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:12:35 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
Nice work Bob! ... and thanks for the pics

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »
Thanks for the write up and pics. Do they make spinners for those size wheels?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »
I have some dents in the mini that I am going to try and remove with the paint less dent removal kit I picked up.
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
This long one on the front I inflicted.

MAGA