VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

GM Traverse StabiliTrak/Traction Control problem and PCV fix - update 10-22-20

<< < (3/3)

stokester:
Good update Ray.  I saw a lot of that at the Chevy shop while I bet the other shops saw lots more as the vehicles accumulated mileage.

My opinion is that the oil life monitors that use some type of algorithm to give a percentage of oil life remaining just further disconnected the driver from vehicle maintenance.  With a lower viscosity and nearly all newer vehicles requiring synthetic or semi-synthetic oils these days many owners regard this as a replacement for checking oil levels or that 10k miles between changes is perfectly fine because there is life left in the oil.

What they don't realize is that oil is now used to pressurize tensioners, control valve timing  and things other that lubricate and cool the engine.  There were many times when a vehicle would start up in the service entrance and we would hear the timing chains rattle away but there was still a lot of life left in the oil according to the monitor.

I'm with you on oil changes.  Quality synthetic or semi-synthetic oil of the right viscosity and a quality filter at regular 5k intervals goes a long way in preventing many issues. 

I guess the GDI deposits are what help BG and MOC sell their intake cleaning products.  I found they do work but most shops do not perform the procedure properly because it takes time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version