VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

GM Traverse StabiliTrak/Traction Control problem and PCV fix - update 10-22-20

<< < (2/3) > >>

goodfellow:
I did a ~5000 mile oil change on the Traverse yesterday, and the pics don't lie. Ever since I modded that breather/PCV valve in the rear valve cover, this car has had zero oil fouling problems at the intake tube or the throttle body. It's so clean that I didn't even have to wipe it down with any throttle body cleaner.

I do the oil change on this Traverse around 5K miles; which coincides with the oil monitor usually indicating about 25%. An added benefit is that all that oil gunk doesn't make it into the intake and foul the top of the valves. These 3.6L engines are notorious for valve fouling, and the excessive oil in the intake system is the major cause. The fouling cure is an expensive walnut shell blasting or scraping job. Better to mod the breather/PCV valve and save your engine AND wallet.

muddy:

--- Quote from: goodfellow on October 22, 2020, 10:30:44 AM ---I did a ~5000 mile oil change on the Traverse yesterday, and the pics don't lie. Ever since I modded that breather/PCV valve in the rear valve cover, this car has had zero oil fouling problems at the intake tube or the throttle body. It's so clean that I didn't even have to wipe it down with any throttle body cleaner.

I do the oil change on this Traverse around 5K miles; which coincides with the oil monitor usually indicating about 25%. An added benefit is that all that oil gunk doesn't make it into the intake and foul the top of the valves. These 3.6L engines are notorious for valve fouling, and the excessive oil in the intake system is the major cause. The fouling cure is an expensive walnut shell blasting or scraping job. Better to mod the breather/PCV valve and save your engine AND wallet.

--- End quote ---
Glad the mod worked for you. Haven't hear a whole lot of good about those 3.6s. But as you've proven well maintained they hold up we'll.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: muddy on October 22, 2020, 07:51:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: goodfellow on October 22, 2020, 10:30:44 AM ---I did a ~5000 mile oil change on the Traverse yesterday, and the pics don't lie. Ever since I modded that breather/PCV valve in the rear valve cover, this car has had zero oil fouling problems at the intake tube or the throttle body. It's so clean that I didn't even have to wipe it down with any throttle body cleaner.

--- End quote ---
Glad the mod worked for you. Haven't hear a whole lot of good about those 3.6s. But as you've proven well maintained they hold up we'll.

--- End quote ---

Common problem Tim. The oil gunks up the throttle body, the intake, and the valves -- causing pre-ignition and often valve failure.

muddy:

--- Quote from: goodfellow on October 22, 2020, 08:06:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: muddy on October 22, 2020, 07:51:38 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Common problem Tim. The oil gunks up the throttle body, the intake, and the valves -- causing pre-ignition and often valve failure.

--- End quote ---
We see it alot with the tar/oil whatever it is that in propane.

vssjim:
Many OE's are now saying to add Valve/ Injector cleaner at every fuel fill up to try to keep valve build up to a minimum as during valve overlap on engines with GDI it will wash intake valves because of reversion.  I guess we will see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version