VEHICLES > Bikes/Trikes/Choppers/Scooters & etc.

Made a lock ring remover

(1/2) > >>

bonneyman:
Have this Sunrace freewheel with just the right spread of gears that I like. It's been sitting 4 years since my accident, but decided to risk riding again to lose weight.
The freewheel was a bit draggy. Old grease needed removed and replaced. Only there's a lockring holding the gear cluster on the freewheel body. As you can see in the second pic, the lockring lip covers the outer race - no disassembly without first getting the ring off. Manged to get it off with a stubby screwdriver and hammer - not my preferred method. And trying to find a lockring tool for this was going no where. So, I decided to fabricate one.
This is becoming more and more common, as manufacturers don't figure on customers taking things apart and cleaning/lubing. Most riders probably just toss the freewheel and get a new one. Besides, freewheels are "old school" and not the standard cassette as is common now. The one bike shop didn't believe me when I told him it was a freewheel lockring. They don't even carry the tools to do it.  :-[

Went to the local Ace Hardware and started looking through bins in all sorts of departments, hoping to find something I could modify for my needs. Finally found something that would just squeeze inside the lock ring but had enough thickness to form teeth out of. A 3/4" threaded conduit connector. Took about 35 minutes to get the profile just right. Think I'll thread a square black iron plug in the other end and pin it in for a wrenching point. Should work fine. And if the teeth wear or mush out - I've got plenty of length left in the fitting to reform them.

bonneyman:
Pics of the business end. Dremel cutting wheel to get things started, and then grind/test fit with a square Nicholson file till it drops in.

goodfellow:
Pretty darn ingenious BM -- very well fabricated.

Fins/413:
thumbs up emoticon.

bonneyman:
Well, I gave it a test run. Tried installing the lock ring - went alot smoother and quicker then doing it with fingertips. Tightened it down so-so (not locked in position), seems to go smoothly. Then backed it off without a hitch. I'm gonna do so more fine filing to get the profile better, then attach the square lug. No rush - I have my newly-lubed Sachs freewheel on the bike so it's rideable while I finish this tool.

Who knows? Maybe someone will call me with a freewheel like this on their bike, and the local bike shop will just want to chuck it and sell them a new one. I can take it apart and repair it and lube and re-install.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version