TOOLS AND THE SHOP > PROJECTS, ALL EXCEPT VEHICLES

A Small Shadow Box Project

(1/9) > >>

J.A.F.E.:
I had this display box from my mother and it was sort of kicking around and I didn't know if I wanted to keep it or what to do with it. I have a small collection of pins that seemed to accumulate over the years so I decided to put the pins in the box and solve two problems. The box had an eggshell grid which was glued in and I was going to cut black suede board for each division and in fact I did cut the pieces and they fit nicely but I just wasn't happy with the look.

The black pieces were appealing because I could mount the pins with the clasp on the back and the fit was tight enough it would just stay in place and was quick and easy.

But the grid imposed a lot of restrictions and I really didn't like the look.

J.A.F.E.:
The spaces in the grid were mostly small and the pins just looked crowded. Plus the box had seen better days and the finish was a bit worn. So I decided to remove the grid and have a large space and while it was apart I'd freshen up the finish. The glass was held in with small retainer strips (green arrows) so I thought it would be easy to remove. Unfortunately not as easy as I had anticipated.

The grid came out without too much trouble at least.

J.A.F.E.:
When removing the glass I discovered somewhere along the way it got glued into place in spots and it cracked (yellow oval). I'm not really surprised it was 1.9mm glass which IMO is too thin for a project like this. It's light so doesn't stress the hinges too much but it breaks easy.

No problem on the glass there is a way to fix it.

Since the little sections weren't being used I then had to consider the pin posts. I can't use the backs but the substrate has to be deep enough to accommodate the full depth. I decided to use foam board as the base. I needed two layers to fully engage the pin posts (red arrows and red circle) so I cut three layers and some strips to make the sides of the box interior.

J.A.F.E.:
The cut foam board parts and what will become the top layer with a rectangle marked out - that will become a decorative detail just to add some interest.

I cut the window out using a bevel cut partly because it looks nicer and partly because it makes the next step easier.

I did make a witness mark between the dropout and the window surround as I needed to keep the orientation.

J.A.F.E.:
I cut the dropout close enough I really didn't need the orientation but it is good practice. I glued the three layers together and then covered the board in adhesive. It is best to use a fabric glue made specifically for this purpose but I didn't have any and what I did have is close and it's getting old so I needed to use it anyway. it's also best to use a foam roller but again I didn't have one so a cheap brush was called into service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version