VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

Toyota Highlander rear brakes -- rust jacking

(1/2) > >>

goodfellow:
The '05 Highlander needed new rear brakes and rotors because the pads had become stuck in the calipers. The cause was severe rust jacking under the stainless steel shims; which caused the shims to lift off their caliper bracket bosses, and the pads to get locked in place. They eventually ground and scored the rotors pretty bad. Time for new rotors, hardware, and pads.

This brings to mind the age old question of lubrication. Do you lube the caliper bracket shim bosses, or do you lube the shims (or both) when replacing pads? When using SS brake shims I was taught to lube the bosses only and keep to the shim dry. Adding lube to the shim will only make it gum up with brake dust more easily. Others folks insist on lubing the shim so that the pad can move more easily.

Looking at the old SS shim, not only did the rust jack the shim, but also started rusting the stainless steel. I would imagine in the salt-belt this would be an even more severe problem.

Bottom line -- lube the bosses to keep rust from ruining your rotors and pads.

muddy:
My style truck (3rd gen dodge ram) are known for sticking calipers if sat around for awhile. Wore through a set of pads and rotor last year because I let it slip by. Now I drive it about every other weekend to make sure the don't rust up.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

DeadNutz:
That must suck to have to deal with rust caused problems.

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: DeadNutz on September 15, 2020, 08:05:17 PM ---That must suck to have to deal with rust caused problems.

--- End quote ---

I live in VA and salt is a minor problem here; yet it did some pretty good damage to this caliper bracket. I can only imagine what it's like in northern states like PA, OH, NY for example. They use vast amounts of salt in the winter, and it rusts everything on contact. I lived in WV for some years and the undercarriage of my truck was toast in just four years.

pep:

I live in VA and salt is a minor problem here; yet it did some pretty good damage to this caliper bracket. I can only imagine what it's like in northern states like PA, OH, NY for example. They use vast amounts of salt in the winter, and it rusts everything on contact. I lived in WV for some years and the undercarriage of my truck was toast in just four years.
[/quote]

Went to Rochester NY, Eastman Kodak for training. Those folks have what they lovingly call winter cars.

No words to describe, rust to the door handles, rocker panels nonexistent  LOL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version