TOOLS AND THE SHOP > WELDING & METAL FABRICATION

17 Tig Torch Stubby Gas Lens

(1/2) > >>

gtermini:
If you run an air cooled rig, this is the way to go. Standard gas cups can go the way of the Dodo for all I care. Gas lenses offer much better coverage and reduced gas usage. A 17 lens is quite a monstrosity. For a few dollars, you can swap the diffuser, collet, and insulator. Then a standard 9/20 series gas lens will screw on. CK is my choice for consumables, with weldcraft/Miller a close 2nd. The mega cups are mostly yootoob clickbait. In reality, a 7 lens will do 90% of jobs. A few smaller and a few big CK #10's are handy as well.

TOP: 17 reg gas lens
MID: 17 '4' series "stubby"
BOT: 9 gas lens

https://www.ckworldwide.com/4-series-stubby.html

goodfellow:
I definitely concur about the gas lenses, but since my aging eyes are starting to fade a bit, I also added the clear Pyrex cups to my WP-20 water cooled torch. What an improvement -- definitely worth the few dollars extra.

pep:
 Pyrex cups ........... the bomb  :08:

TexasT:
x2 on the pyrex cups!

I like the gas lens too, I also bought some xl extended length cups to get down into areas and those fupa/bbw style are cool too to get that tungsten extended out there.

I ain't anywhere near proficient but man, I'm having a real good time. And, stop to sharpen again as I dipped it, yet again. hahaha.

gtermini:
The pyrex cups are nice, but I break far too many to stomach the cost. A weldcraft gas lens is $1.50 vs $10+ when the torch hits the floor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version