VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

Brake failure

(1/3) > >>

muddy:
There used to be a help me fix this section in the old site. But anyway...

The old Plymouth is testing her luck again. Brake pedal goes to the floor. If pumped brakes work but pedal still fades and goes away.

Drove it two days like this, no fluid lost.

I've replaced the master cylinder, and bleed all air out. When engine is shut off I have a firm responsive pedal. With engine running the pedal goes to the floor and does not recover.

No leaks, even took apart rear drum brakes and all look good.... antique, but in working order lol.

It seems as if the only thing left is the booster.  Usually when they fail you get a hard unresponsive pedal and rough running. Even if it's not the booster but a vacvim leak it should still give a hard pedal?

Has anyone had a booster actually cause lack of pedal when failed?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

goodfellow:
Are you seeing your brake fluid reservoir level decreasing over time Tim? Even a very small leak into the booster could cause the pedal to bottom out.

vssjim:
To be sure I would make block off plugs for M/cyl and once bled try pedal again if not ok now new master maybe no good if ok now check each wheel by crimping each wheel hose one at a time until you can see a difference.

muddy:

--- Quote from: goodfellow on February 24, 2021, 09:14:16 PM ---Are you seeing your brake fluid reservoir level decreasing over time Tim? Even a very small leak into the booster could cause the pedal to bottom out.

--- End quote ---
Drove it for two days 60 miles a day. No fluid loss.
--- Quote from: vssjim on February 24, 2021, 10:44:28 PM ---To be sure I would make block off plugs for M/cyl and once bled try pedal again if not ok now new master maybe no good if ok now check each wheel by crimping each wheel hose one at a time until you can see a difference.

--- End quote ---
I'm going to block off the master like you said. Wouldn't be the first time I've gotten new parts that are bad.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Rusty:
Are you sure you have the right master cylinder? One set up for too longer rod will cause the sticking.

How many times did you bleed the system? Sometimes it takes several bleeds to get everything right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version