VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

Just when you think you've heard it all!

<< < (2/2)

stokester:

--- Quote from: bonneyman on April 18, 2021, 07:32:00 PM ---
Wife's car is a 2002 Buick Century with 150,000 miles. Engine is fine, overall it's great, still gets 27MPG average. It's been under covered parking and garages most of it's life, paint is just starting to dull. It's just plastic pieces going and a few electronic issues like the odometer doesn't always light up and TRAC idiot light comes on intermittently. So she's beginning to look as she knows it's getting up there.

--- End quote ---

I think there is an issue with resistors failing in those Buick instrument clusters.  Not a simple job but doable by the home mechanic with some soldering skills.

bonneyman:

--- Quote from: stokester on April 19, 2021, 06:08:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: bonneyman on April 18, 2021, 07:32:00 PM ---
Wife's car is a 2002 Buick Century with 150,000 miles. Engine is fine, overall it's great, still gets 27MPG average. It's been under covered parking and garages most of it's life, paint is just starting to dull. It's just plastic pieces going and a few electronic issues like the odometer doesn't always light up and TRAC idiot light comes on intermittently. So she's beginning to look as she knows it's getting up there.

--- End quote ---

I think there is an issue with resistors failing in those Buick instrument clusters.  Not a simple job but doable by the home mechanic with some soldering skills.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, one of the mechanics we have used said basically the same thing. Just required taking the dash apart and getting the cluster out to work on it. The TRAC light is a wheel sensor/ABS sensor issue we were told. All doable.

fatfillup:
I am torn.  I like the simplicity of then older vehicles but really like some things about the late model stuff.  Like the power, the braking, the economy, the blue tooth and really like my cruise control on my 17 F250.  By just pushing a button, I can increase or decrease the speed by a mile per hour without having to guess. 

Of course it doesn't matter what I think, the manufacturers are going to sell what their demographics will buy and most people don't consider ease of repair when buying a vehicle.

George, don't let the cost of a headlight worry you, just tell your lovely bride to quit tailgating and to pay attention when she is driving :))

bonneyman:

--- Quote from: fatfillup on April 19, 2021, 10:26:03 AM ---George, don't let the cost of a headlight worry you, just tell your lovely bride to quit tailgating and to pay attention when she is driving :))

--- End quote ---

I talk like that, Phil, and I'm gonna have a $2200 bill to remove the cast iron frying pan form my skull!  :33:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version