General Category > GENERAL DISCUSSION TO INCLUDE OFF TOPIC

Vintage Photo Of The Day

<< < (303/304) > >>

john k:
Liked the pic of thd guy in the gas station suit putting on the spin balancer.  These were great as they balanced the wheel and drum, on the car.  The little round knobs on the center of the device were held briefly to change the weight and location.  Was spun up by an electric motor.  One checked for (balance) by watching the antennae for shake, or rest your head on the fender.

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: john k on April 03, 2024, 03:54:08 AM ---Liked the pic of thd guy in the gas station suit putting on the spin balancer.  These were great as they balanced the wheel and drum, on the car.  The little round knobs on the center of the device were held briefly to change the weight and location.  Was spun up by an electric motor.  One checked for (balance) by watching the antennae for shake, or rest your head on the fender.

--- End quote ---

Quite right John. I worked in a shop in the late 1970's that still used the old Hunter model 106 balancers. They taught me how to operate it, but there was only one old mechanic in the place that could actually get the balance right on the money using those machines. It was a combination of experience and "know how" that wasn't in the instruction manual.

I recall that he used the clamp on weight disc to roughly dial in the balance, but then rested his hand on the fender or bumper and mentally calculated the amount of weight and the position needed to complete the job. None of that was in the book. If you just went by the book, you got in the ballpark, but the balance wasn't perfect. When someone else in the shop used those machines, there was a good chance of a customer "comeback?.

muddy:

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Rural53:
I would say wheel balancing would be easy compared to...

--- Quote ---June 1942. "John Sonesen, propeller grinder at a Hartford, Connecticut, plant, inspects a blade for a vertical balance during the operation of grinding it to correct contours in a template. This Hamilton blade will be assembled in a pitch-controlling Hydro-Matic mechanism to help power one of our new warplanes." Photo by Andreas Feininger for the Office of War Information.
--- End quote ---

john k:
Neat prop photo, liked the idea of repairs to aircraft done right before it leaves the hanger, on a car, the foreman says ya got 15 minutes, do it right, I dont care if it is muddy now get going.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version