TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MECHANIC HAND TOOLS WE USE

Let's talk "Brass" --

(1/3) > >>

goodfellow:
Kinda unique these old hammers that I bought from MAC back in the 1970's. They will outlive me. I bought them as a set and they were expensive (relatively speaking), but they are one of the most useful tools in my shop.

Brass is pretty expensive right now -- these three (1lb, 2,lb, and 3.5lb) cost less than $90 back then. Probably over $200 now

Nice 3.5lb for heavy hitting on suspension pieces

2lb and 1lb

kwoswalt99:
They look hardly used. I beat mine all to hell.

J.A.F.E.:
$90 in 1975 calculates to a little over $450 today. Quite expensive.

Uncle Buck:
I cannot even imagine. I have wanted a brass hammer for years, but have had to settle for a couple of dead blow hammers instead.

lauver:

UB,

I realize this is a really old thread, but I thought I would reply and make a suggestion. 

During 2023, I was able to pick up 4 brass or copper mallets with missing or broken handles.  Two of these mallets have brass heads, one has  plastic/brass heads, and one has copper heads. 

I was able to pick up 4 used wood handles of proper size at the same flea markets.  Between these four finished mallets I've got less than $25 in them.  They work, they're safe, they're a treat to use, and they are drop dead gorgeous.

I mention this because it's clear to me that the old mallet drawer can be stocked with great tools at reasonable prices.  And, there is the fun of finding and restoring these great tools and bringing them back to life and purpose.

Here's to a good 2024 full of great mallets!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version