Author Topic: I need some help with a CRAZY Thorsen based project.  (Read 2535 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I need some help with a CRAZY Thorsen based project.
« on: June 16, 2021, 09:37:50 PM »
I suck with Google and could not find anything,  did Thorsen ever manufacturer ignition wrenches ?

Because I am an idiot I decided it would be fun to make a Thorsen version of the rare Blackhawk nuggies set.

If you can't get the Blackhawk 24991 the next best thing is the Thorsen 77m or WRIGHT 2400.
I've already got a Thorsen set to add onto so that's what I went with.
The plan is to strip and re- repaint this Thorsen box, maybe black and red like the nuggies box.

I already have the proper Thorsen 18M flex handle on the way, I just need the wrenches if they even made 'em ( these are TRW, Bonney made I think ), extension,  universal,  and T bar for the flex handle.
I don't know if the T bar was even marked, so I can probably substitute about anything for that.

This should be a fun set to put together if it's doable.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:43:52 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

Re: I need some help with a CRAZY Thorsen based project.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 08:45:41 PM »
Neat idea, definitely gonna take some time I'm sure z good luck!

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 04:01:50 AM »
If I had waited on the 18m flex handle there are a few incomplete sets on Ebay for reasonable prices, but I don't want a 3rd thorsen flex handle.
That would get me about everything else I'd need aside from ignition wrenches.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:03:33 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 09:34:38 AM »
I've got some Thorsen sets going. Not really pursuing the sockets as I have enough of others for use, but finding the extensions and accessories has been fun. Can't say I've seen the T-bar for the breaker bar. One away from completing my metric combo set.

A good thing about Thorsen is alot of times they fly under the radar with most people and are really solid tools.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 10:13:18 AM »
If you guys would disclose drive sizes and socket sizes some of us hoarders collectors may have what you are looking for.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 09:37:57 PM »
If you guys would disclose drive sizes and socket sizes some of us hoarders collectors may have what you are looking for.
1/4" here for my set.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 03:10:02 PM »
Have I ever seen a Thorsen ignition set, No!  However, I have a Thorsen-Allied ignition set made in Taiwan.  On the pouch it says Thorsen-Allied on the left side (very small) and lower on the right it says imported by Thorsen.  None of the wrenches are marked with a maker, but do say Taiwan.  As you can see, they are in good condition and I figure they are about 40 years old or so.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 06:50:23 PM »
I'm trying to complete a set of Thorsen Middle Period (1950-1970, according to AA) combo wrenches in metric. They have the "MFD USA" stamp on them. All I lack is the 16mm, number 1016.
Like these:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:52:12 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 09:53:21 AM »
Have I ever seen a Thorsen ignition set, No!  However, I have a Thorsen-Allied ignition set made in Taiwan.  On the pouch it says Thorsen-Allied on the left side (very small) and lower on the right it says imported by Thorsen.  None of the wrenches are marked with a maker, but do say Taiwan.  As you can see, they are in good condition and I figure they are about 40 years old or so.
Alright well thanks for the info, that's what I feared.
It looks like I may have to go a different route with this set or stick with an unmatched wrench set.

Always lookin' to learn