Author Topic: Cheap fix?  (Read 6328 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Matt_T

Re: Cheap fix?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:37 PM »
IME there ain't nuthin' cheap on rotary screw compressors.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:47:03 PM »
IME there ain't nuthin' cheap on rotary screw compressors.

100000+

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:17:54 PM »
If it was an easy cheap fix they would have fixed it and not bought 2 new compressors. Enough red flags there to get anybody's attention.

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »
My guess is its not worth it. Get a brand and model # and contact the manufacturer for the rebuild kit cost. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »
Big no, they are dumping the scrap.............
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 10:11:13 AM »
My guess is its not worth it. Get a brand and model # and contact the manufacturer for the rebuild kit cost.

On almost all screws under 150HP, a "kit" is usually a new compressor head at 75% of the cost of an entire new unit, without the warranty. When they go, the screws usually gouge the housing, rendering it junk. Since they run oil circulation through the air and all moving parts, everything else inside also becomes junk at that instant when chunks are floating through.

Also, don't ever buy a compressor where they say they are "upgrading to a larger unit". That's code for the the thing has run non-stop at hellish temperatures.

Last year I got a new 10HP/40cfm Quincy screw/dryer 120 gal combo (made in Italy) installed for the shop at work. It was under $10k delivered with a 2 yr complete warranty. The shop air has never been dryer, and I rarely desire more volume. It is super quiet and has needed nothing in the first 4k hrs. It's really not terribly expensive to get into the screw world if you truly need that much air. You don't want to be short tripping a screw. They need to run minimum 20-30 minutes every time they start to drive the condensate water out of the oil.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »

On almost all screws under 150HP, a "kit" is usually a new compressor head at 75% of the cost of an entire new unit, without the warranty. When they go, the screws usually gouge the housing, rendering it junk. Since they run oil circulation through the air and all moving parts, everything else inside also becomes junk at that instant when chunks are floating through.

Also, don't ever buy a compressor where they say they are "upgrading to a larger unit". That's code for the the thing has run non-stop at hellish temperatures.

Last year I got a new 10HP/40cfm Quincy screw/dryer 120 gal combo (made in Italy) installed for the shop at work. It was under $10k delivered with a 2 yr complete warranty. The shop air has never been dryer, and I rarely desire more volume. It is super quiet and has needed nothing in the first 4k hrs. It's really not terribly expensive to get into the screw world if you truly need that much air. You don't want to be short tripping a screw. They need to run minimum 20-30 minutes every time they start to drive the condensate water out of the oil.

Greyson

Excellent advice --

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
If it was an easy cheap fix they would have fixed it and not bought 2 new compressors. Enough red flags there to get anybody's attention.
Yep my thoughts exactly

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk