Author Topic: Sheet metal tools: Malco  (Read 27709 times)

Offline bonneyman

Sheet metal tools: Malco
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
In my work as an HVAC technician I'm sometimes called upon to help the install crews if they get backed up. Also, some A/C repair jobs require modifications to existing duct work (i.e. evap coil replacement). Additionally, various small sheet metal jobs come up (vent piping, gutters, shielding, etc.) and those usually fall upon the A/C techs. Thus, having a fairly complete set of quality sheet metal tools is virtually a requirement for guys doing A/C.

During my years as a technician I've had the opportunity to try alot of different brands of metal working tools. Tin snips (or aviation snips as they're sometimes called) are the most prolific. Probably because sheet metal was first widely used on airplanes. IIRC Klenk was the "inventor" of the hand held metal snips we use today. Other notable brands are Pexto, Wiss, and Midwest. I was gifted a trio of snips made by Lenox which are becoming a favorite.

Malco started in the 1950's (IIRC it was 1953, though their new website differs), and what made them really great was that they designed sheet metal tools specifically for the duct work industry. (They now do alot of other trade tools but I'm focusing on the sheet metal stuff). As such their tools incorporated innovations that made them stand apart from other brands. For me, their most remarkable tool was their line of screwdrivers. The alloy steel of the blades were bulletproof, and the handles were made of an indestructible (their advertising claim and my experience bears it out) polycarbonate material that stood up to daily wear and out right abuse. A pukey orange color, they were instantly recognizeable and easy to spot. Very rarely did you leave one on a job, as that ugly orange handle stood out and was hard to miss.
I bought my first one in the late 70's. I used it as a screwdriver, chisel, pry bar - even used it to jump the solenoid on my old car to get it started! it finally gave out in the mid 90's, and I bought a replacement (which I still have, see pics below). Never even thinking they'd discontinue the line, I blindly used the driver until it started showing it's age around 5-6 years ago. It was then that I found out that Malco had decided that they couldn't compete with the Chinese on price with screwdrivers, so they dropped the orange polycarbonate line and outsourced their drivers to China! Now all of their drivers are the same clear acetate (I think) as everybody else. I immediately hit up the 2 dealers that carried Malco tools, in an attempt to grab a few of the orange ones while they cleared out the inventory. No luck - they were gone virtually overnight.
As an avid estate saler I keep my eyes open, and over the past 6 years have found 3 scratch awls. Just recently I acquired a 5 piece lot off of ebay (including styles I never knew Malco offered in the orange handle). I've kept my 20+ year old beater as the one to pound on, but feel very fortunate to have been able to get the other ones. Keep your eyes open, mates. Grab these orange drivers if you see 'em!

OK, enough preaching. let's show the tools!
Here's my HD tool box and an inside shot packed with tools.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:12:49 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Sheet metal tools: Malco
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »
Here's my original driver and my more recent acquisitions. And yes, that old driver did start out the brighter orange - this is no special effects shot!

Actually, this is my second MALCO driver. The original original finally got retired after 20 years of jumping starters and beating through sheet metal caps.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:54:39 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »
Here's some snips. Left and right cuts. (They do make a straight what they call double cuts, but I don't have a Malco example of them). I started out with the straight-on snips, and have gotten my share of sliced knuckles. then they came out with these offset styles, which angled you hand up and away form the raw edge. Very helpful.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:47:47 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »
A duct stretcher and ear folding tool.
You connect pieces of metal duct together uses special strips of metal called "cleats". There are two kinds - S (slip) and drive cleats. One you slip on, the other you drive on (beat) with a hammer. The S cleats help you to line up the two pieces of duct so you can slide them together, then you install the two drive cleats to lock the pieces together. Because you need two hands (one to hold the drive and the other to hold the hammer), if the ducts are a little too far apart you don't have a spare hand to force them together and hold them there while you pound the drive cleat on. The duct stretcher allows to to do that.
The ear bender is a tool that allows making drive ears on ducts out in the filed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:52:24 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »
Malco hammer.
One of their many fantastic innovations. The handle is made up of a couple dozen leather washers that are slid over the steel spine (one piece steel hammer head/handle  :) ). It's coated with a shellac at the factory. With use the shellac wears off, and over a period of time the leather slowly conforms to the shape of your hand. The hammer gets more comfortable the longer you use it. Extremely noticeable over the many hours a day you use the thing.
Mine doesn't get used that much, so alot of the factory shellac remains. But I think you can see the individual leather rings in the one pic.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:56:42 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
An angled hand seamer. They do offer a straight variety, but the angle version is much easier to use.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:57:17 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
A 5-fingered crimper. Used for joining sections of vent pipe together. When you're connecting several lengths of say 6 inch pipe together, being the same size doens't allow them to slide into one another. The crimper puts an accordion looking edge on a pipe  - effectively making the hole a tad smaller - so it will slide into the next piece.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:59:37 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
Mid size shear and zip tie tightening tool. Originally the shear was all-steel. This newer model has steel cutting blades and an aluminum handle. Saves alot of weight over long days. They make several versions - some smaller (shears) and one bigger (bulldog). Depending on how thick a sheet metal you're cutting or how tight a circle you need to cut.
The tie tool is used for installing round flex duct.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:02:25 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »
A round hole cutter. Used with a drill, it quickly allows one to cut perfectly round circles in metal duct so round flex duct can be tied into it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:03:38 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Some non-Malco tools.
Pop rivet gun made by Emhart and a Roper-Whitney punch, also a pair of shears (Pexto and Wiss). The pop rivet gun is a high-end model made for the aerospace industry. No longer made, I snagged not one but two examples form different pawn shops about 3 weeks apart. Originally going for around $70, the company was bought out by Stanley in 2014 (?), who - wanting to keep production domestic - increased the price to compensate for that (to $169). Sales plummeted, and they dropped it the following year. I have several other rivet guns as well for around the house tasks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:15:31 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
A home-made scribe and a farriers plier that I've drafted for duct stretching duties. To save my scratch awls from excessive wear I fabbed this scriber out of a piece of thick stainless. It can scribe my long straight lines quite easily, and when it wears out is easily duplicated. And I used farrier (i.e. horse-shoeing) pliers long before I got mu duct stretcher to pull and hold ducts together.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:09:58 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 12:12:03 PM »
Of course, a solid corded drill is a must. And a 25+ foot tape measure is also quite needed.

I don't have a notcher or button-lock tools - they are more toward the shop/installer end of the job. With what I have anyone could walk into a shop and get a laborers job as an installer - with everything a guy needs to do the daily job.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:14:30 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
Interesting. I've seen some of those sheet metal tools but didn't know what half of them did.

Malco hammer.

That looks like it was made by Estwing.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
Thanks for showing these. A lot of really good information.

I installed a new microwave over the stove awhile back and the vent is in an odd spot. I had to use flexible duct to line the MW vent with the permanent one. I really could have used one of the crimpers like you showed on the vent piece as it was I had to do it by hand. Tedious but doable although it had to be done in place. That was one job better in past tense.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »
I won a pair of Malco snips one time at a trade show. Good stuff.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »
Yes thanks for the education.  The crimpers sell for me from time to time but tin snips sit on the shelf and i have some real nice ones.

Oh, the angled seamer ( i think  you call it) sell decently also

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 05:56:14 PM »
Yes thanks for the education.  The crimpers sell for me from time to time but tin snips sit on the shelf and i have some real nice ones.

Oh, the angled seamer ( i think  you call it) sell decently also

Yeah, every AC guy should have a hammer, driver or two, an awl, several pairs of snips, and a hand seamer. Even if they "don't do installs". With most AC's attached to duct work of some kind these few basic hand tools are must haves.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »
I do not consider myself a tin knocker but these are just plain handy to keep around. Come to think of it, only Malco tool I own.
Black grips, top of pic.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
Actually did many years with cheapo and regular Home Depot-quality pop rivet guns until I found the Emharts. Man, is this what it's like driving a pickup your whole life....and then finding a Corvette?   8)

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »
Nice. I have several different sizes of Malco scratch awls. They make some good stuff!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
Nice. I have several different sizes of Malco scratch awls. They make some good stuff!

I think that's what killed them - they made their stuff "too" good.

Don't quote me, but I think they still offer their awls in the orange polycarbonate. The screwdrivers were discontinued some years ago, but I think you can still get the scratch awls.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 11:09:00 AM »
not sure how i missed this one. i fondly recall helping a couple guys do furnace install, repair and tuneups in my younger days. two of the guys used almost all malco tools, one of them only had the bare minimum and whatever he could find. the malco was the best. two of the guys moved their business and one of them i refuse to work with again so i doubt i will ever do it again.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
Just pulled out my MALCO 4-in-1 screwdriver today for a job - worked like a champ!

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
Several years ago I found a Malco scratch awl in a drop ceiling...and by found, I mean it fell out on the floor as we moved a tile to run some wire. Good thing it didnt land on someone's head!

Offline wreckercologist

• Always smooth and refreshing!
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
that leather handled hammer reminds me a lot of the old Estwings
The floggings will continue until morale improves

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
Several years ago I found a Malco scratch awl in a drop ceiling...and by found, I mean it fell out on the floor as we moved a tile to run some wire. Good thing it didnt land on someone's head!

A little off topic but this happened in a rental I was helping to fix due to heroin addict tenant absolutely ruining the place. Aside from a bunch of horrific things we found, one sticks out: the drop ceilings had A LOT of used needles just sitting up there.  :-\ :-\ :-\

PSA: always check above drop ceilings. Another time I saw a guy get nailed in the face by a Stanley Fatmax 25' tape that was up there, double duh HE left it up there in the first place (he was looking for something else he had lost  :D )

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »

A little off topic but this happened in a rental I was helping to fix due to heroin addict tenant absolutely ruining the place. Aside from a bunch of horrific things we found, one sticks out: the drop ceilings had A LOT of used needles just sitting up there.  :-\ :-\ :-\

PSA: always check above drop ceilings. Another time I saw a guy get nailed in the face by a Stanley Fatmax 25' tape that was up there, double duh HE left it up there in the first place (he was looking for something else he had lost  :D )

Geez that's the first time I ever heard of that!  :-\

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
Came across a Malco scratch awl today. Completely unexpected.

The tip is bent, and the handle has some damage and residue. Needs the lauver treatment for sure.
Just couldn't leave it. They're just not that easy to find in the wild, and are such good tools.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:20:46 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
Here she is clean up and ready to work.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »
Looks great!! ^^

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 10:34:32 PM »
Looks great!! ^^

I figured you'd like it, jeff!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »
Proving that my dad was right again! "If you look long enough and hard enough, you'll eventually find what you want for a price you're willing to pay".
Came across a 6" shank standard Malco driver today. Needs handle polished up and the tip refinished, but for $3 I couldn't pass it up.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »
I really like malco. The quality of their hole  cutter and tongs are second to none. As far as snips, ive only used Midwest and i like them alot. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2019, 09:07:05 PM »
I have not been tool hunting at all the last few years, but when I was routinely cruising the hock shops and junk stores I did keep an eye out for Malco snips, crimp tools and benders. Essentially all the pliers looking Malco tools I could find cheap I bought. Incredible how cheap you could find those tools if you were not in a hurry. I have most of the stuff shown in the pics except the hammer and a few of the smaller odds and ends.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »
I have not been tool hunting at all the last few years, but when I was routinely cruising the hock shops and junk stores I did keep an eye out for Malco snips, crimp tools and benders. Essentially all the pliers looking Malco tools I could find cheap I bought. Incredible how cheap you could find those tools if you were not in a hurry. I have most of the stuff shown in the pics except the hammer and a few of the smaller odds and ends.

It's too bad Malco has gone foreign outsourced on alot of their stuff. Especially their screwdrivers, which are Chinese acetate jobbies. Yuk.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
I came across a 5-fingered crimper recently but didn't take it as I've just got so many dupes crammed in the tool box.

I know, I know - I should buy another box.  :-[

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 01:53:01 PM »
you can ALWAYS use another set of crimpers.

Offline jeffmoss26

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
just got these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CG89TFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw those. Double sided with retention magnet. Sounds like a great idea.    8)

Do a review and tell us how good the steel is and how they hold up.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 06:54:04 PM »
got another tool

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 09:59:04 PM »
got another tool

Those look handy. Will accept 1/4" screwdriver bits as well as nut runners?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:04:55 PM by bonneyman »

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2020, 09:12:40 AM »
yep!

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »

Offline highland512

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 08:28:13 AM »
Has anyone been hearing any updates on the Malco Eagle Grip pliers?

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »
nada

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2021, 06:56:43 PM »
found some NOS at an HVAC supply house last week

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2021, 10:21:44 PM »
That looks like a nice driver. As comfortable as a Klein?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2021, 12:02:46 PM »
Yeah, I recommend every fan of those polycarbonate orange handles grab them whenever they find them.   :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2021, 03:54:25 PM »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2021, 08:28:59 AM »
Nice! I heard the new Malco Eagle grip pliers were close to the old Vise-Grips.  :great: