Author Topic: My Bicycle-- 1995 Specialized Hardrock Ultra 21-Gear, Wt~32lbs  (Read 10540 times)

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
My Bicycle-- 1995 Specialized Hardrock Ultra 21-Gear, Wt~32lbs
« on: December 29, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »
Gang,

I bought this bike at an insurance company auction for $65; the bike had been stolen and recovered, but after the claim had been settled.  When I acquired the bike it was filthy dirty, rusted, had two flat/cracked tires, and all of the cabling & levers were trashed.  When I got it home I gave it a good scrubbing, a lube all around, adjusted the seat and handlebars, and installed two new inner tubes.  When I took it for a test ride, it was clear that it needed more work and fine adjustments.  I took it to a bike shop and had them true up the rims, replace and upgrade all the cabling, levers, and shifters.  I took it for a second test ride and was surprised to find that it was like a new bike... except for the brakes and tires.  So, I bought some new brake pads and street tires, installed them, and went for a third test ride.  Wow, this bike was like new, and functioned with ease and precision.  I've pretty much ridden it ever since with just minimal annual maintenance and garage storage.

Here's a quick pic:

Updated 12/31/18  Bike Spec's:

Frame-- Chrome Moly, made in various Asian countries, frame size is 17.3" measured from center of BB to top of seat tube, total bike weight as outfitted is 32 lbs.

Rims are aluminum, spokes SS, and hubs are aluminum alloy, all made in Japan by Araya, original to bike.

Tires are Kenda Kross Plus 26 x 1.95, Taiwanese, pretty much road slicks with off-road  lugs on the sidewalls.  These were not original to the bike.

All components are Asian made Shimano Acera X, end to end, top to bottom, except the HTI P-42 (?) pedals and the handgrips which came from an old dirt bike I used to own.  They are comfortable, grippy, and compatible with the Shimano shift levers & brake levers.  And, they look most manly.

A note on the frame size-- When I inspected the bike at the auction, my first thought was that the frame was too small for me.  However, after riding it for 20 some odd years, I've come to believe I've got exactly the frame size I need.  For example, when straddling the frame with both feet flat on the ground, I've got exactly 3" of space between the top tube and "my boys".  That's an important margin.  Also, a larger frame would have added more weight to the bike.  I like being able to lift and throw this bike around.  There have also been a few times when I had to carry my bike out of the boonies with a flat tire.  At 32 lbs, these are easy tasks.

As usual, your comments, questions, and observations are always welcome.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:51:14 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: My Bicycle-- 1995 Specialized Hardrock Ultra 21-Gear, Wt~32lbs
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
Very nice!

What is the stand it's on? Does it have a kickstand?

Not trying to get personal but how much did all that cabling and wheel truing end up costing?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Bikes are fun, and that looks like a great one to have fun on.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 04:52:53 PM »
Haven't ridden a bike in 10 years, but that looks pretty good to me. Nice work Gary  8)

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 07:02:52 PM »
JAFE-- No kick stand.  Bike is sitting on a 2.5 Ton jack stand.  I think she'll hold.  I think the 1st trip to the bike shop (cables, levers, derailers, and wheel truing cost me about $100.  But it was well worth it... those guys transformed my ratty-ass bike into a Swiss watch.

OnS-- I have no complaints about this ride.  The old seat is shredded, but I have a new seat in the ready.  I think I'm going to do some mod's to the old seat and see if I can't make a "New, Improved, and Anatomically Corrected" seat.  If you take my meaning  :D

GF-- I'm not saying I put a lot of miles on it, but I still like taking a ride at least once a week... sometimes 3 or 4.  I always feel better, more alert, and more limber after a good sprint.   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:39:10 AM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 07:06:38 PM »
Nice bike Gary. And you are right about getting out and getting in a good ride. It definitely a good thing. I was just bringing in one of mine for a freshen up to do the midwinter duties.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »
JAFE-- No kick stand.  Bike is sitting on a 2.5 Ton jack stand.  I think she'll hold.  [snip]

I had thought it sorta looked like a stand and then I thought naaw. I should think it would hold.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:42:17 AM »

Nice bike Gary. And you are right about getting out and getting in a good ride. It definitely a good thing. I was just bringing in one of mine for a freshen up to do the midwinter duties.

bmwrd0,

You bring up a good point-- annual maintenance is important and sometimes critical.  I'm curious what your consist of.

Here's my annual ritual:

1) Wash entire bike with soap and water, blow dry with compressed air, then finish wiping down with a shop towel.  While doing this step, inspect the entire bike carefully for cracks, dents, bends, lever and cable operation, loose fasteners, and anything out of adjustment.  Correct any issues.

2) Lube the chain, gears sets, derailers, and pedals.  I generally don't lube the cables.  They typically stay dry, clean, and operate very smoothly.  If they don't, it's time to replace them.  For chains, gears, and derailers, I like to clean them with a tooth brush and "Finish Line Multi Degreaser", then wiped down with a paper towel.  To relube, I use White Lighting Clean Ride" lube.  Just put it on judiciously and let air dry.  Your good to go for another year and your gears and chain will always look clean and rust free.  Additionally your chain and gears will operate quietly and feel silky smooth.  Good stuff.

3) Clean the brake pads and brake surface of the rims.  Adjust the brakes if necessary.  To clean the brake pads, I remove them and dress the friction surface with 220 sandpaper.  This takes very little effort and removes all the glazed over rubber.  As soon as I hit fresh soft rubber, I quit sanding.  Just be sure to maintain the original angle on the pads.  The wheel brake surface, especially with aluminum wheels, gets glazed just like the rubber pads.  I usually use brake cleaner and a 3M scuff pad, then wipe with a paper towel.  Cleaning the pads and the wheel friction surfaces usually gets the brakes working very effectively, with minimal lever pressure, and no noise or grabbing.

4) Inspect the tires carefully.  Look for cracks in the side walls.  If heavily cracked, it's time for new tires.  Look for cracks, tears, punctures, cuts, or exposed casing, anywhere on the rolling surface.  If these are found, it's time for new tires.  Also, in my case, inspect the cleats on the upper sidewalls.  If they are heavily worn, or some are missing, it's time for new tires.  Last but not least, check your tire pressure.  I usually do this every time I take the bike for a spin.  If riding on pavement, I generally run 30-35psi.  If going off-road I generally run 20-25psi depending on trail conditions.  That's it, maybe two hours total time, and only one time a year.

For the record, I consider this ritual as quality time in the garage.  If only cars, trucks, and motorcycles were this simple. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:05:48 PM by lauver »

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 11:03:22 PM »
Gang,

A small confession-- Although I have 21 gears to choose from, I seldom use more than 3 or 4 gears on any given outing.

When I go on a street run, I tend to use maybe 4 of the intermediate gears.

When I go on an off-road run, I tend to use about 3 of the lower gears.

When I take my dogs out for exercise, I tend to stay in 1 or 2 lower gears that keep my miniature poodles at a very brisk walk.  I call it "dog cruising speed".  They seem to be able to sustain this pace for extended periods of time and can cover a lot of ground.  There are no rest stops on the dog runs except near the end, to allow for toileting.  Then, we head for home, food, and water.

When I want something real interesting, I throw my bike in the back of my pickup and drive to various areas with little or no traffic.  There is a pretty cool paved one lane fire road around Belton Lake that is pretty interesting.  The only traffic on this road is hikers, dogs, and the occasional wild animal.  I should also add that this road is unmaintained and sprinkled with hazards (i.e. cracks, pot holes, gravel washes, boulders, downed trees, wildlife, you name it).  I tend to take this road pretty fast and loose.  I find that this one road has done more to sharpen my riding skills than any other place I've ridden.  But I like it.  It's wild and always changing.  Hell, the ride back is totally different than the ride out.

How about you other riders?  Do you use all your available gears?  Do you have set run types?  If so, what are they? 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:06:24 PM by lauver »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 02:33:39 PM »
How about you other riders?  Do you use all your available gears?  Do you have set run types?  If so, what are they? 

I've got a Klein Attitude mountain bike I bought from a shop that was closing back in about 2003 or 2004.  Its got Shimano Deore LX brakes and XT derailleur set and 27 speeds with a Rock Shox front fork.  It's my off-road bike and I've got a Jamis road bike for the asphalt which has taken me across Iowa three times during RAGBRAI. Both bikes have performed flawlessly over the past 15 years with only a few chain and brake pad replacements.  Of course there was regular cleaning and lubing.

There are a few mountain bike single track trails in the area and I do enjoy the different experience from road riding.  It only takes a 5 mile track over some hilly rough terrain to wear a rider out while the road bike takes more time and miles.

On most of my rides the big gear does not move off the center sprocket very often and usually only the center three or four gears on the cassette get slammed with any frequency.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »

Well....(long pause), if you were to know how many bikes I have, you would shun me from this forum. However the answer is simple.

I use all the gears on my 18sp road bike (9sp rear), its because when I hit the local mountains, I crank in the lowest gear for the hills, and ride in the big ring on the flats. I wont bore you with the component groups, tho I do have more than one full Campy and Dura Ace setups. BTW, I chose to not follow the (add 1 more gear phenom) with upgraditis to 10, or 11 spd. What I DO NEED is a compact crank setup on my hill bike. The collection has steel, alu and Ti but no carbon fiber. I'm down to 1 single speed (if you dont count the Schwinn cruisers).

Mtn bike? Yes, there might be more than one in the OnS collection, those gears have a shorter range of usage. Big ring only on the flats. Some are set up with slicks, others with knobbies, some tour, one with a trailer.

I ride daily. 95% road.

I have an addiction, I realize it. Therapy has yet to be scheduled. 

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »
OnS,

I can think of many things you could do with your time that would not be as good for you as riding your bikes.  Keep on crankin'  :-\

Post's some pic's of your Mtn Bike(s).  I like to see what other folks have done to personalize, improve, or tame their Mtn bikes.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 03:35:10 PM »
The most gears I have is 12 - Peugeot UO8 from the '70s. I used them all (haven't ridden it in years) My Ralieghs are a 10 speed ('76 Super Course) and a 3 speed ('65 Sports.) I use all the gears on those.

I haven't owned a mountain bike in years, but it was a Trek that I converted to single speed.

Oh, I just bought a Raleigh Trike, three speed with a basket. I wife will use it to go to the farmers market and I will use it at big swap meets (There is one out here that is all along a 2.4-mile race track. I have seen people with wagons, but this will be perfect.)

I don't do anything special to winterize them, just a good cleaning. Most things I take care of in the spring before the first ride. And that is just a general go over and check things out.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
Originally on my hybrid I had a 28 tooth big rear cog. Rarely used it, though when riding down alley ways or along the washes you'd hit a sandy patch and it was nice to have that cog rather than walk the bike. Nowadays I stick to paved bike paths, and ride a 13-21 7-speed. Tucson just finished their bike "loop" project, with paved multi-use paths criss-crossing the city. It'll be fun riding those sections that we're off-limits before due to quick sand and lack of bridges.
When alone I ride in 4th or 5th gear (out of 14). In a pack of friends I shift to the larger front chainring and that makes it 11th and 12th gear. 

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
Bman,

Glad you chimed in.  And thanks for sharing your gear choices and riding tastes.  I'm afraid I don't really know what a hybrid bike is.  Can you describe the main features of a hybrid and possibly include a photo of yours.

As to your new bike loop I can only imagine it.  In Texas and Belton trucks and cars are the kings of the road.  Pedestrians, joggers, and bike riders, are just targets and have few rights.  There are a few bike/jog/walk paths but they tend to be uninteresting and generally disconnected.  I will say this, the Temple Police Department has a bike patrol unit that shares responsibility with the automotive/SUV patrol unit in the central business district.  Between these two units, they are everywhere all the time.  Very effective approach.  I've chatted with some of the officers in the bike unit.  These folks really like their jobs and life on two wheels, even when the weather sucks.

EDIT:  Bman, I went back to your bikes thread and found your hybrid build.  So, I assume this is the right, and your current, Hybrid.  Correct?  If so, no need to post a photo here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:41:28 PM by lauver »