Author Topic: I need some recommendations.  (Read 10293 times)

Offline coolmercury

Re: I need some recommendations.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »
Second the chrome USA Craftsman pliers. O:-)

Offline walrus

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »
I don't think the Channelocks will rust that quickly especially if used regularly but Chrome Diamonds would be better.

As to the Knipex bmw, you just haven't used them enough.  Once the get broken in they adjust better and you will get used to them.  I likely have 10 pairs in my collection and have worn out several pairs.  Mine get used daily as do my mechanics.  We wouldn't work without them
Easily the best pliers I've ever used and like you I've worn them out. I've worn out Channellocks also

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 06:39:16 PM »
Chrome finish pliers, except combination slip joint pliers are tough to find these day. Sort of like looking for chrome plated cold chisels. 20-30 years ago they were everywhere, not now. You can still find them if you are willing to dig through enough piles in junk shops. About the closest thing found easily these days would be something like this.

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/2-pc-pipe-wrench-pliers-set.html
Good deal, but too large.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »
The old Wilde Craftsman pliers are great -- still have mine after almost 30 years and they are flawless. This may be worth the $7.00 -- for the debranded version. Cripe is a reputable company and they stand behind what they sell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Water-Pump-Pliers-USA-Made-by-Wilde-For-Craftsman-Debranded-11S-Z/390952305353?hash=item5b0692c2c9:rk:1:pf:0

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:08:59 PM by goodfellow »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
I was going to buy a pair of Channellock #426 for $11, but I just couldn't do it.

Why would I pay $11 for the little #426 when right next to 'em were the #426 and a pair of #420 for $19.99 ?
I couldn't afford not to pass this deal up, I've never seen the #420 for $9 and was wanting a set anyways.
The #426 is a little shorter than the mini robogrips and have an overall larger capacity,, still not 1.5" without opening the pliers some but they can handle it without the grips spread too far apart.

For now, I think they'll work just fine.
They won't live on my belt, but I can grab them from my bag when I plan to need them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:09:10 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 08:48:55 AM »
I don't think the Channelocks will rust that quickly especially if used regularly but Chrome Diamonds would be better.

As to the Knipex bmw, you just haven't used them enough.  Once the get broken in they adjust better and you will get used to them.  I likely have 10 pairs in my collection and have worn out several pairs.  Mine get used daily as do my mechanics.  We wouldn't work without them
Easily the best pliers I've ever used and like you I've worn them out. I've worn out Channellocks also

Haha, I don't think I have ever worn out Channel locks.

To be fair to those who question Knipex, I and likely Walrus also use them most as pipe wrench pliers, and for that use, they excel head and shoulders above anything else.  If they don't grip, then you get the pipe wrench out but I will say, the pipe wrench doesn't come out of my box often

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »
I'm another fan of Knipex pliers.   :)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
The old Wilde Craftsman pliers are great -- still have mine after almost 30 years and they are flawless. This may be worth the $7.00 -- for the debranded version. Cripe is a reputable company and they stand behind what they sell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Water-Pump-Pliers-USA-Made-by-Wilde-For-Craftsman-Debranded-11S-Z/390952305353?hash=item5b0692c2c9:rk:1:pf:0
Ordered the 6", 12$ shipped is a great deal.
Being a 3 position slipjoint they probably won't have enough capacity for use at work but I couldn't pass them up at this price.

I really need to forget that I now have a PayPal account, because I'll be buying tools left and right otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:57:38 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »
[snip]

I really am glad that I now have a PayPal account, because now I'll be buying tools left and right.

Fixed it for you.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 07:24:53 PM »
[snip]

I really am glad that I now have a PayPal account, because now I'll be buying tools left and right.

Fixed it for you.
Am I glad ?
I just placed another order for one of these, and don't even really need it.

Now that I'm working I can pick the pace up a bit on filling out my toolbox, but It won't happen if I keep up the impulse buying.
This one may be a great addition, but I don't wanna buy a bunch of stuff I have to find a use for.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:27:50 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »
Not a bad little set. I had one but an earlier version. It, along with a lot of other tools, was stolen by the troll (my former boss).

The tool buying does get a bit addictive and once you get used to having what you need it's a small step to this looks like it might be useful to you never know I just might need that to I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »
Not a bad little set. I had one but an earlier version. It, along with a lot of other tools, was stolen by the troll (my former boss).

The tool buying does get a bit addictive and once you get used to having what you need it's a small step to this looks like it might be useful to you never know I just might need that to I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
It looked like a cool little set, so I just had to get one.

I'm actually Going to the hardware store today to pick up some little NOS Craftsman doe metric wrenches I saw last week, sure they've likely been on the rack for 5+ years now and probably aren't going anywhere but I better get them while I can.

I still need some regular Metric and SAE combos , but I don't want to spend a fortune or go Asian so im going to wait till Lowes brings the Craftsmans back to the US.
There were some NOS Craftsman on eBay for a reasonable price, but they were only like 8pc sets.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:32 AM »
Good on the DOEs. You are being smart - take your time and look for the deals and there are still plenty out there.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »
Good on the DOEs. You are being smart - take your time and look for the deals and there are still plenty out there.

Don't dismiss the US made "forgotten" brands that seem to languish on ebay all the time. There a plenty of older US SAE sets from EASCO, Thorsen, Herbrand, KAL, Indestro/Duro, J.H. Williams, and P&C -- just to name a few. US metric stuff is also available. Older Metric NAPA, EASCO, and Kobalt are often overlooked, but they were US manufactured.