Author Topic: Old specialty tools for cars I no longer remember -- LOL  (Read 9187 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Old specialty tools for cars I no longer remember -- LOL
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »
I've been doing this quite a long time. Cars have changed radically in 45 years and what were considered "must have" specialty tools at that time have slowly been phased out in favor of modern technology.

I have a drawer full of specialty tools that were very expensive when first purchased, but for the life of me, I can't remember what car some of these tools were used for. Anyone of you old-timers have the same problem?

My problem is mostly with OEM valve adjustment and head bolt tools (they were special factory orders off the tool truck) -- I must have over two dozen. Mostly Mercedes, Fiat/Lancia, Audi/VW, Simca/Peugeot, Maserati, and Jaguar.

Here are a few examples; mostly Mercedes Benz specific -- I think, but some I'm just not sure anymore 

BTW -- am I the only one that has this mental lapse? or are there others who have forgotten what tools go with a particular make/model and year

Offline Kuda

Re: Old specialty tools for cars I no longer remember -- LOL
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »
I don't have any pictures to share tonight of my specialty tools but thank goodness at 55 I'm not that old yet Goodfellow!!
I think I still know which tools are for which cars but I'm not a professional mechanic and only have to remember a few tools for a couple dozen + cars that I owned or worked on over the years.  A few of those cars I've turned every bolt on or at least darn close to it, so it's not for lack of effort.  I had my Spitfire engine hanging off a fire escape when I was in the Army.  (I had barracks duty and wanted to get my rebuilt engine in that weekend.)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:46:13 PM »
Tools, Hell I've got whole engines that I don't know where they came from. There are 2 SBC complete engines in the barn that I have no idea even what they are.  :-[

lostmind

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:10:06 AM »
The owner of the Cadillac dealer I last worked at used to say he could have a nice cabin cruiser for the money spent on all the specialty tools that never got used. The ones you really needed ended up in some ones tool box.

I had drawers full of one year only tools that I couldn't find a buyer for. A lot of specialty brake tools.

Those obstruction pieces you show would be tough to ID unless they were tagged. Good thing some can be used in other applications.
And yes , I have trouble remembering what goes to what.

Use it or loose it applies I think. I could look at a nut or bolt from 10 feet and know what size wrench or socket I needed.  Now I take a handful on the rare occasion I need one.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 09:35:21 AM »
Mercifully, HVAC hasn't changed as much over the decades. Technology has improved some things, but the tools and equipment are still recognizeable.
I found and bought a book on A/C and refrigeration printed in 1961, and while perusing the "recommended tools every tech should have" pages I suddenly realized virtually all of MY tools are on those pages! Glad I picked A/C instead of auto repair.

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »
I was just a twinkle in my father's eye when those tools were everyday items.