Author Topic: I said thank you to my shirt today ( a real eye opener in safety )  (Read 4719 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I was using my angle grinder to cut the end of a T post.
The disk chipped, the tool kicked back, and my shirts tangled and trapped it.

I'm pissed that I ruined my favorite flannel shirt and the brand new long sleeve T i was wearing under it, but I'd rather loose my shirt than a bunch of blood and spend the day at the ER.
Boy am I glad these two shirts got tangled in it and stopped it from tearing through me, the day's not off to an excellent start so far, but it could be a helluva lot worse that's for sure.

We all learn from accidents ( well maybe not my brother ) and they've gotta happen some time.
Now this time I don't really know exactly what to think, but I know I learned to bee more careful with that angle grinder and maybe keep the guard on even though it sometimes limits what I can cut.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:52:18 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: I said thank you to my shirt today ( a real eye opener in safety )
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 03:10:25 PM »
You got very lucky. I'm glad the story had a happy ending.

Please wear eye protection when using an angle grinder as well. I hate wearing the safety glasses and face shields but I like eyes better than I hate the safety crap.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 03:24:15 PM »
You got very lucky. I'm glad the story had a happy ending.

Please wear eye protection when using an angle grinder as well. I hate wearing the safety glasses and face shields but I like eyes better than I hate the safety crap.
Thank you, it was a real eye opener.

When the garage door is closed  I my wear safety glasses, when it's open I wear my Revo sunglasses.
The Polarized Fuse replacement lenses I've got on them are ANSI  rated and all that good stuff, they're supposed to be ballistic rated as well but I'm not so sure about that.

I may have to get a new face shield to replace the old one, even if the glasses protect my eyes I don't think I want to be scratch up my $40 lenses if something impacts them, I suppose I don't want anything hitting my face either.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 04:35:56 PM »
I took a welding class at a local community college and any grinding required two forms of eye protection safety glasses and a face shield or safety glasses and a welding helmet with the shade off or flipped up. That included hand held grinders or stand mounted.

No gloves when grinding or drilling either.

But the expert here is the spammer in chief I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 05:57:28 PM »
Glad you are safe and a couple of shirts took the abuse. I leave the guard on unless it absolutely has to come off. 2 stage eye protection such as safety glasses and face shield and hearing protection with either ear plugs or muffs. Gloves have their place and it is up to you to figure out if they are safe but not any gloves with a saw. It also doesn't hurt to wear a shop apron for extra protection and to keep stuff off your clothes.

I know that I have learned a few things in life the hard way. A shop is not the place to do it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 06:01:41 PM »
Glad you are safe and a couple of shirts took the abuse. I leave the guard on unless it absolutely has to come off. 2 stage eye protection such as safety glasses and face shield and hearing protection with either ear plugs or muffs. Gloves have their place and it is up to you to figure out if they are safe but not any gloves with a saw. It also doesn't hurt to wear a shop apron for extra protection and to keep stuff off your clothes.

I know that I have learned a few things in life the hard way. A shop is not the place to do it.
Gotta locate the guard to my angle grinder.
A face shield and ear muffs are on my list, I think Harbor Freight offerings should be good enough.
The GI earplugs are uncomfortable, and I can no longer see out of the old face shield.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »
If you buy a new face shield get the ratcheting head band as those cheap ones are worthless. You can also buy good ones at Lowe's or Home Depot. Make sure they carry replacement shields wherever you buy it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 06:53:16 PM »
If you buy a new face shield get the ratcheting head band as those cheap ones are worthless. You can also buy good ones at Lowe's or Home Depot. Make sure they carry replacement shields wherever you buy it.
Will do.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 08:13:05 PM »
I have a face shield on every piece of equipment I own now. I got a piece of metal in my eye once. It really sucked. I wear glasses so having goggles is awful. So I wear safety glasses ( script ) and face shield.  Glad your ok.

Offline ron350

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 08:52:58 PM »
Hickory n Steel glad to hear you were not hurt.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
Every eye Dr. I have been to asks me if I do metalworking. They can see the rust stains in my eyes. I got most of those 35-40 years ago when I did plenty of heavy grinding work.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 10:13:41 PM »
You learned a valuable lesson. Shirts can be replaced fingers and eyes not so much.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
You learned a valuable lesson. Shirts can be replaced fingers and eyes not so much.
Absolutely.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 07:01:32 AM »
Glad you are safe and thanks for sharing your mishap.  We all need to be reminded how dangerous tools can be and that accidents happen quickly.

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 08:43:20 PM »
Glad your unhurt. Always keep the guards on tools, there is a reason they are there.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 12:25:01 AM »
Thank you guys.
This was a real eye opener and I'm very thankful I didn't receive a single scratch.
My shirts completely trapped and stopped the tool as if they were a pair of chainsaw chaps.
I've seen nicked knuckles in the past and know from those minor injuries that this would've been much worse.

There's nothing I need the angle grinder for right now anyways which will make it that much easier to not use it until I can locate the guard.
I haven't looked yet so I don't know how if I put it in the power tool cabinet or not, logically that's the best place for it but I've got a habit of putting things " where I can find them" and not remembering where.

I recently learned a good tip, take note of the first place you reach when looking for a tool because that's probably the best place to store it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline eborcim

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 02:38:03 PM »
My middle brother drove the edge of a disc grinder across his nose several years ago.  It had a guard on it, but the wheel caught on something.  He was lucky it did not separate his nose completely, but he still had stitches for several weeks.