Author Topic: Cleaning grill grate question  (Read 6004 times)

Offline muddy

Cleaning grill grate question
« on: May 29, 2019, 10:05:39 PM »
I picked up this Weber Q grill at an auction. The grill grates are rusted. New grates are available, but at $80 thats almost 3 times more then I paid for the grill lol.

Any suggestions for cleaning up and reconditioning the grates? Guessing there wouldn't be any food grade paint that would handle the heat?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning grill grate question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »
Pretty sure that is cast iron. Wire brush it to clean it up and season it with oil like a cast iron skillet or pan.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 05:49:15 AM »
I think Harlan is on to something, Great advice

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 06:12:31 AM »
Yep , what Harlem said. I hit mine with a pressure washer once a year then re season. I use a citrus grill cleaner before sprayer.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 07:18:27 AM »
Angle grinder, knotted HF wire brush, takes seconds, dry is fine no goop needed.
Pep
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:21:46 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 07:51:25 AM »
When mine looks like that in the spring and this is what I do.

hit it with a wire brush dosnt have to be shiny just get the dust and peices off.
then get the grill screaming hot 450*+
take some olive oil and soak on an old rag and rub the cast down
turn the grill back on and "bake" the oil into the cast at 300* for 30 min and re apply the oil

As long as the cooking surface never get above the 400* and cooks the oil out you should be good. I also never "burn" my grill out to clean it. When I light it Im looking for 350* for about 15 min to sterilize the cook surface then I cook, same process when Im done. The reason these things rust is people are cooking the rust preventive (and the secret to the best flavor) out of the cast and burning their food.     

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:23:58 AM »
highland has it right. those little wbers are great tabletop grills for tailgating or camping. probably about as good as it gets for that purpose. just not up to task for large groups or big things like multiple chickens, turkeys, hams or  other big hunks of critter!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 08:56:02 AM »
Looks like the original grates are porcelain coated. No way to duplicate it that I can think of. Seasoning it with oil would probably be the best bet.

I've gone with the Coleman white gas camp stoves. Have two (and three of the older mantle lanterns). Easier to lug around, work great, nice and portable. Parts are still available, but the fuel can get a bit pricey. (Though they make a propane adaptor valve so you can use the commonly available propane cylinders as back-up).
I have them for monsoon emergency use. In case we lose power I can see - and cook - if the electricity is off for any length of time. Plus if the Mrs. and I go camping, attend a community cookout or church picnic (or have to bug out), I can toss one in the van.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »
Sorry guys I don't know why I had a brain fart and didn't even think about seasoning it like a cast iron skillet.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 05:16:32 PM »
I just scrape mine clean with a wire brush and cook the old stuff away at about 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »
A question for all the grill gods around here; I had a grease fire on my grill the other night (didn't get enough of the fat off some chicken thighs), and while I took care of it, is there anything I should do to get her back in service? Cast iron grill top, propane BBQ Weber.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
I clean the whole thing once a year. I had some build up on the bottom of mine catch fire last year that caused  a scramble to save my dinner.  :))
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »
Well, I saved my beer!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »
My big gas grill gets grease fires if I cook a lot of chicken. I just pull the meat off and open the lid and let it burn out. I really prefer chicken over the coals but the gas grill is faster so it gets used more. seems to only be a problem after cooking several loads of chicken

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 09:28:40 PM »
That's pretty much what happened. I know the thermostat is dead (pinned at the high end) but it sounds like its all good.