Author Topic: Local and regional terms  (Read 11684 times)

Offline fatfillup

Local and regional terms
« on: May 31, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »
This morning I was reading a thread on GJ and someone use the term asshat.  I remember the first time I saw that used and I am pretty sure it was UB describing some jack wad he dealt with.  I knew what it meant but never heard it before.  So, I walked out into my shop and asked my 50 year old employee who has worked in shops his whole life if he had ever heard the term.  He said no but it is already in use here now :))  So I am thinking the term is regional.   We would use ass wipe or as I like to say wipe ass or wiper. 

Another is Jag off.  I have heard the term used by folks from Pittsburgh.  That guy is a jag off.  Just found this on google

jag·off
/ˈjaɡˌôf/
 Learn to pronounce
nounDIALECT•US
noun: jag-off
(chiefly in western Pennsylvania) a stupid, irritating, or contemptible person.

You guys have any insulting terms that may be regional?

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Local and regional terms
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:07:17 AM »
I grew up around farmers. There isn't enough time or space to type out all the rotten, local insults used just in the ag community.  :))

I lived in South Central Oregon while going to college. The Klamath Basin is a small region of its own within the state. Lots of ranches and potato farms. One used down there was calling somebody low a "Jackwagon". It rolls off the tongue harsher than any bull whip could hit. Never heard it before I went down there, but promptly added it to my vocabulary.  >:D

Greyson

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
Growing up in Indiana and then living in Texas, Louisiana, and now Ohio I have found several terms the I grew up with to be very "Midwest".

In Indiana       
        What are you drinking?
        I am drinking a pop.
         What kind?
         Mt. Dew
In Texas
        What are you drinking?
        I am drinking a coke
         What kind?
        Dr Pepper
In Louisiana
          What are you drinking?
          I is drunk

In Indiana we also used youins in place of y'all, cleaned out clothing in a worshing machine, and ate brefest in the morning, dinner at noon, and supper in the evenings.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »
I get called all different kinds of regional terms. I don't have time to list them as I have to leave in an hour to go to the airport so I can get called some more of them. :D

Offline eborcim

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 11:21:33 AM »
In the appropriate company (kids) my wife and I refer to any kind of ass as a stuffer.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »
I grew up in Pittsburgh and there are a lot of regionalisms I associate with the place. Like yinz and younz, soda-pop, nebber, gum-band, spikkit, jimmies, Kennywoods open, and of course the football team the Stillers.

Here in southern California I don't think as much.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline mrbill

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 01:57:06 PM »
I grew up in Pittsburgh and there are a lot of regionalisms I associate with the place. Like yinz and younz, soda-pop, nebber, gum-band, spikkit, jimmies, Kennywoods open, and of course the football team the Stillers.

Here in southern California I don't think as much.

"Pittsburghese" is definitely a colloquial dialect - http://www.pittsburghese.com/.  You don't need to live here to enjoy Pittsburgh Dad - https://www.youtube.com/user/pittsburghdad We even have a wall dedicated to Pittsburghese at work!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:03:42 PM by mrbill »

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
 Jabber and Rural will know what we were talking about , if we were talking about a  Sheila....

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »
Jabber and Rural will know what we were talking about , if we were talking about a  Sheila....
I know it's a woman not sure if there's more to it then that.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

Perhaps a woman of questionable virtue?!   ;D
boop/bop/beep

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »
Growing up in surf land California, there are a lot of them. Probably as much as AG land.

But this is a family forum...

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 03:24:45 PM »
When I was in the Air Force it seemed that our guys were called all sorts of demeaning things. Though the townspeople had no problem taking our money and - if there was any talk of a base closure - would basically riot to keep us around.

And it seemed different bases had different names. Locally in Tucson we were called "flyboys" - whether we flew or not. In Montana they called them "jetters".
How about you guys' military town names?

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 03:42:26 PM »

Perhaps a woman of questionable virtue?!   ;D
That's my thinking

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
 Rural, I'm thinking with the weather we got this weekend we can put the Jandals and the ChllyBin away till later in the year !

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »
Rural, I'm thinking with the weather we got this weekend we can put the Jandals and the ChllyBin away till later in the year !

Guess you'll have to drag the Swanny out the back of the closet then ;D