Author Topic: My Proto Yellow Handle screwdrivers  (Read 20346 times)

Offline bonneyman

My Proto Yellow Handle screwdrivers
« on: August 15, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »
Also known as Bet R Grip and Quad Lobe, they are the most comfortable true hard handle drivers I've ever held. I've been on a mission to complete the set. As of now I've got 38 out of 43 styles of screwdrivers.
The composite material that's used in the handles is pyroxalin, a nitro-cellulose plastic form the early days of organic chemistry. IIRC it is related to the explosive gun cotton and old celluloid film base. It doesn't degrade and stink like the newer acetate plastics do, but it might burn.
Anyway, here's my set, followed by some specialty styles I've managed to find (gasket scraper, cotter pin remover, schrader valve core remover, 1/4" drive handle).

The ones I'm needing: 9625, 9626, 9633, 9805, and 9810
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:18:41 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: My Proto Yellow Handle screwdrivers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
The handles are so comfortable I've taken to modifying my duplicates and making tools that Proto didn't originally make (or styles I want that I've been unable to find).

10" long #2 phillips
two shorter #2 phillips
1/4" flex drive handle
1/4" bit driver
6-in-1 screwdriver
evap cooler water dist cleaner

Carb adjustment tool
2-in-1 pocket screwdriver
Yankee spiral driver and ratcheting stubby
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:36:05 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »
Seems you are quite taken with these - that is an impressive collection. You are correct about the nitrocellulose. Just as an aside nitrocellulose lacquer was used as an automotive finish - GM used it for many years until they switched to the modern paints.

Your collection looks to be in remarkable condition.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »
That is an enviable collection BM --

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
I've always admired your nice collection B-man. One question, how do you remove the old shank to re-purpose the handle without damaging it?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
That is an enviable collection BM --

Thanks! I take almost any condition I find if I don't have that #, then keep an eye out for better condition and swap them in as I find them. Alot of mine are at least good used condition - some have been cleaned up according to lauvers treatment. I do have quite a few in excellent to NOS condition.
I PM'd twertsy to see if he wanted the pics for his archives site. He said hold off until I got them all, then take hi rez pics and he'd post the complete collection. So, I'm on a mission to get those last 5.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:20:47 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »
I've always admired your nice collection B-man. One question, how do you remove the old shank to re-purpose the handle without damaging it?

Lauver told me his method - works great.
Place a washer onto the shaft and push it up till it's flush with the handle. Put the driver upside down in a vise, clamping it on the shaft so there's like a 1/4" gap between the vise top and washer. Use two large flat screwdrivers or prybars and gently pry the handle up. The metal washer will prevent gouging the plastic. when it moves up so far you lose your leverage, loosen the vise and drop the tool down till you got 1/4" gap and repeat.
Sometimes the plastic is so old and brittle that the locking tabs on the shank deep inside cause it to split or crack. Save that handle for a mod.

I try and avoid the temptation to do this too much (i.e. swapping pristine shanks into NOS handles). One can go crazy doing endless swaps if their not careful.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
Seems you are quite taken with these - that is an impressive collection. You are correct about the nitrocellulose. Just as an aside nitrocellulose lacquer was used as an automotive finish - GM used it for many years until they switched to the modern paints.

Your collection looks to be in remarkable condition.

Appreciate the compliments.
I decided about 8 months ago to put my money where my mouth is, and actually use the BetRGrips. So, I went though my screwdriver collection hanging in my shop, pulled off all the loners and mismatched and bazillion brands and donate them as alot - then filled all the empty pegs with the Proto duplicates. (The nicest ones stay put away). If they're that good, I ought to be using them, right? Havent't looked back.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 06:31:20 PM »
For a long time I babied my "good" drivers to keep the handles nice. Then I decided about the same as you if they were better they should be used and the handles were just going to show use.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 06:36:42 PM »
Found another mod: pocket extendable mini-bit driver.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
Anybody have any new Proto Bet-r-grips they wanna share?

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »
Your Proto screwdriver collection is a thing of beauty! I especially like your custom craftsmanship and those one off classics you’ve created. I don’t have any bet-r-Grips, but I do have a Proto black handled screwdriver somewhere.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »
I wonder what solvent could be used to liquify the yellow material. (You know I've got too much time on my hands if I'm thinking like this!). I've got a bunch of broken, chipped, split, and mangled yellow handles. Wondering if I could make a mold of a pristine one and cast some "new" handles using the old damaged ones as raw material? Probably be dangerous as hell, toxic and flammable. But I'm wondering if it's possible?

I've tried acetone, xylene, methylene chloride, and MEK. Nothing.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »
Hi Bonneyman. As promised, here are my old Proto screwdrivers. I was very lucky to find these, as a local industrial rigging company was selling its inventory of Proto tools. I still don’t know why they were competing with the distributor. They are a solid company when it comes to anything with steel cable. Why they would want to get into the tool business is a puzzle to me.

That said, they decided to get out of the business and I got a tip that they would unload everything real cheap. So I checked it out and walked away with a large accumulation of NOS Proto tools and display boards. After some years of looking into the screwdriver sets, I realized that the most of open face sets did not match the catalogs. I suspect that the company parted out the sets based on customer requests and replaced the sets with whatever screwdriver was handy. Didn’t mind, because I got such a great deal.

Anyway, here are my yellow Proto screwdrivers. I have some more some place, but I’ll have to find them. Great screwdrivers at a fraction of the price that Snap-on commands.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 08:28:04 PM »
Some real nice mods there Bman.
I've only got one proto betr grip ,a 9604 and it's my go to flat blade screwdriver for various things out in the garage.
It's just plain awesome and the grip really is excellent, if the steel sucked I'd have no problem using the handle for something but it's just such a good screwdriver as is.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 10:32:52 PM »
Hi Bonneyman. As promised, here are my old Proto screwdrivers. I was very lucky to find these, as a local industrial rigging company was selling its inventory of Proto tools. I still don’t know why they were competing with the distributor. They are a solid company when it comes to anything with steel cable. Why they would want to get into the tool business is a puzzle to me.

That said, they decided to get out of the business and I got a tip that they would unload everything real cheap. So I checked it out and walked away with a large accumulation of NOS Proto tools and display boards. After some years of looking into the screwdriver sets, I realized that the most of open face sets did not match the catalogs. I suspect that the company parted out the sets based on customer requests and replaced the sets with whatever screwdriver was handy. Didn’t mind, because I got such a great deal.

Anyway, here are my yellow Proto screwdrivers. I have some more some place, but I’ll have to find them. Great screwdrivers at a fraction of the price that Snap-on commands.

Nice collection and a great deal! ;D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 10:34:05 PM »
Some real nice mods there Bman.
I've only got one proto betr grip ,a 9604 and it's my go to flat blade screwdriver for various things out in the garage.
It's just plain awesome and the grip really is excellent, if the steel sucked I'd have no problem using the handle for something but it's just such a good screwdriver as is.

Thanks!

I have fallen in love so to speak with the yellow handle grip and so whenever I find a tool that I like I see if I can upgrade it using a Proto handle.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
Sweet collection.  Good luck on the missing ones.

I too have used Lauvers screwdriver secrets for both removing handles and polishing them.  He is right on the money

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »
I need to get a picture of my Proto screwdriver drawer. I pick up every one I see. I’m not taking the handles off of these spinners though!
-Don

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
I need to get a picture of my Proto screwdriver drawer. I pick up every one I see. I’m not taking the handles off of these spinners though!
-Don
The one I had must've been newer or something, the shank was one diameter all the way to the tip like you'd see on an extension.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
-Don
The one I had must've been newer or something, the shank was one diameter all the way to the tip like you'd see on an extension.

I don't know the years, but Proto drivers went through several style changes.

These ones that I like are the vintage ones. I think somebody told me they were discontinued by 1980. Epstein has newer yellow handles (numbering is farily close, but the material looks like acetate), and the brand brand new ones are the DuraTek. Though nice, they just don't have the allure for me as the old Betrgrips.

http://www.protoindustrial.com/literatures/Brand/Proto/IARDTSDBR_DuraTek%20Screwdriver%20Brochure.pdf

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 05:04:07 PM »
I got a chance to take a picture of my Proto screwdriver drawer. Bonneyman, if you post a current list of the ones you are missing I will see if I have any of them.
-Don

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 05:45:58 PM »
I got a chance to take a picture of my Proto screwdriver drawer. Bonneyman, if you post a current list of the ones you are missing I will see if I have any of them.
-Don

Don, the numbers of the 5 I'm missing are in my original post. Thanks!

Here's hoping you have some or all!  >:D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »
I wonder what solvent could be used to liquify the yellow material. (You know I've got too much time on my hands if I'm thinking like this!). I've got a bunch of broken, chipped, split, and mangled yellow handles. Wondering if I could make a mold of a pristine one and cast some "new" handles using the old damaged ones as raw material? Probably be dangerous as hell, toxic and flammable. But I'm wondering if it's possible?

I've tried acetone, xylene, methylene chloride, and MEK. Nothing.

You might try ether and alcohol if you are the adventurous type. I believe they are the solvents used to make the stuff but don't recall if it is ethanol or methanol.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
-Don

Don, the numbers of the 5 I'm missing are in my original post. Thanks!

Here's hoping you have some or all!  >:D
I have a 9633 and it’s not the best looking screwdriver I’ve ever seen but it’s yours if you want it.
-Do

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »
That poor old soldier would have to go in my recycle bucket.  :-\

I'm trying to come up with a solvent that will dissolve old chewed handles like that and cast some new ones. So far haven't found anything that will do that.

But thanks anyway.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 02:07:51 AM »
Sorry it was in such bad condition. Here are a couple of Proto yellow handled drivers in my Clutch Head driver tools.
-Don

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »
Bonneyman,
I found a couple of clutch head drivers today so I now have an extra if you need one.
-Don

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 09:15:54 AM »
I've got all the 4 clutch heads, sir. But I appreciate you keeping me in mind.

Still lacking the 5 numbers.

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 01:09:37 AM »
Funny - I was searching for PROTO screwdriver displays tonight when this thread popped up.  :o

I didn't even know the site was back up.  :'(

Thanks, George!  :-*
David

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »
Funny - I was searching for PROTO screwdriver displays tonight when this thread popped up.  :o

I didn't even know the site was back up.  :'(

Thanks, George!  :-*

U R welcome. It's nice to know posted content is showing up on web searches, bringing people to the forum.
The management asked, and I delivered!  :D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2020, 03:43:20 PM »
The search continues....and I find another "unknown".

A 9683 8" long #1 phillips. Tip needs minor retouching but a welcome addition. Not on my list but here it is in the flesh, so, the list gets updated.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2020, 06:58:12 PM »
this one has your name written all over it!