Author Topic: Anything Aviation  (Read 24643 times)

Offline Rural53

Anything Aviation
« on: October 03, 2019, 02:40:07 AM »
As the title says - anything aviation.

This video features Wanganui Aero Works who trained pilots for the agricultural industry and a brief history of New Zealand's early top dressing aircraft.

Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Anything Aviation
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
Very interesting video -- thanks for sharing.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
I will enjoy this thread and contribute to it. That video of NZ pilots learning how to deliver the chemicals is good. That is some very difficult terrain to operate at low level and winds can play havoc.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
I have something very sad to contribute to this thread. I just found out today that my good friend was the pilot on the B-17 that crashed in Connecticut yesterday. The problem must have been severe as Mac was the highest time B-17 pilot in the world having flown this plane for 20 years. I spent many days and flight hours with Mac in his beautiful 450HP Stearman biplane. I was honored the day he told me that he wanted to check me out in it as only a few pilots were ever allowed to fly it.

Blue skies and fair winds Mac.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »
My fav.

Sorry to hear about your mate Nutz.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »
I have something very sad to contribute to this thread. I just found out today that my good friend was the pilot on the B-17 that crashed in Connecticut yesterday. The problem must have been severe as Mac was the highest time B-17 pilot in the world having flown this plane for 20 years. I spent many days and flight hours with Mac in his beautiful 450HP Stearman biplane. I was honored the day he told me that he wanted to check me out in it as only a few pilots were ever allowed to fly it.

So sorry. Have been following this story and it is truly sad.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 08:44:07 PM »

My condolences on the loss of your dear friend DN. From your description, it sounds like a guy who had  a "life well lived".
God speed!!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 08:46:10 PM »
^^ My condolences as well. It was quite a shock when it came across my news feed. It made me think about how many hours I've spent on board vintage air craft.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
Very sad news hearing about the B-17 crash. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 10:03:37 PM »

Snappy little plane right there, regarding Mac know he went the way he wanted, timing may have been to soon. But we do not get to call the shots when it comes to death. God Bless Mac.

Pep
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/collings-foundation-b-17-flying-fortress-crashes/

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/at-least-five-after-collings-foundation-b-17-nine-o-nine-crash/?fbclid=IwAR2Kg0LeXGl-NTBnLS_t6I07p7gAwZN2WdrvcoJ4t-mT58W11_R799ORQgU
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:11:39 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 10:43:15 PM »
Thank you guys for the support as it has been a tough day. I am glad that I had a chance to ride with Mac in Nine-O-Nine several years ago. The Collings Foundation has brought their wonderful planes to many places around the country every year so that veterans have a chance to see and ride in them. First class outfit.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 12:31:19 AM »
Nine O Nine Memorial Video

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 08:22:59 AM »
It was a pretty bird .....

Pep

Offline walrus

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 04:43:17 PM »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
My boy is flying this Aztec, happened a year after he graduated from Embry Riddle. Kid has ice water in his veins

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »
Damn fine landing and professional attitude --

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »
Yep
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
Nice bit of flying by the young man.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 09:29:59 PM »
Yeah that was a magnificent landing... what a pro.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 12:50:24 AM »
Very professional.

Offline walrus

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 11:01:54 AM »
Knowing what really happened and who was flying makes reading the comments on the video a hoot. He had flown that plane all over the US doing mapping. He flew grids in many states and was returning to homebase for a 100 hour checkup.  He was flying the plane to get hours and was over 900 when this happened. Airlines require 975(if you have a degree from an accredited school) hours. His year contract was almost up and needed a few more hours. He flew that plane a month after that landing, thats how little damage was done. I can't believe he went back up in that thing but he did. Got his hours and now is in the right seat of a CRJ900. Almost has the time to switch to the left seat.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 03:11:22 PM »
I have also flown in the Collins B-17, but don't remember who the pilot was at the time.  This flight was in Florida where they often brought the B-24 as well as the B-17.  I'm retired Air Force an x RB-47H pilot.  One of the RB-47H's I flew is in the Air Force Museum in Ohio.  Sad day for too many.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 05:09:18 PM »
Anyone watching the Red Bull Air races ?

Pep

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
Alabama has one sitting in front of the Air & Space museum. Saw it some years back while working in the area.

One of my favorites, I also like quite a few others, Conny, B29, Electra, HellCat, Corsair, and P38 Lighting. Like jets and radial piston power

turn up the volume check it out

FLY NAVY
Pep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
Lot of folks forget the predecessor to the two seat SR71 "Blackbird" was the single seat A12 "Oxcart"   -- same design concept and mission, but smaller in size.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
That was very interesting.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 03:51:05 AM »
SR-71 oldie but a goodie - L.A. Speed Check

Offline Rural53

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 03:20:33 AM »
I'll just leave this here.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 07:16:53 AM »
Always amazes me what performance those British engineers were able to get out of that RR Merlin engine. That piston engine was the core of the UK Air Force -- an amazing feat.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2020, 03:00:16 AM »
Always amazes me what performance those British engineers were able to get out of that RR Merlin engine. That piston engine was the core of the UK Air Force -- an amazing feat.

Yeap, even turned the mediocre P51 Mustang into the superb fighter it became.

Having heard that Mosquito fly in person, it is interesting how different two Merlins in a twin sound to individual Merlins sound in two Spitfires.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 03:25:15 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2020, 03:10:34 AM »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 07:21:03 AM »
PBY incoming .........heads up... not a good commercial for Johnson OBMs  :lol_hitting:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:24:45 AM by pep »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2020, 02:00:49 AM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:02:59 AM by Rural53 »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2020, 07:29:52 AM »
Absolutely fantastic -- what a great find. Thanks for the link Rural.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 11:27:35 AM »
Glad to see those aircraft and parts finally seeing the light of day. People have been trying to buy those for years but were turned down. Thanks for posting that Rural53.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2020, 05:34:01 AM »
Having been on the periphery of the warbird scene for a number of years in the 90's and 00's, I had heard rumors about this collection.

Left field story...

A few years ago I was at my auntie's wake. She had been the club captain of the local aero club when my uncle met her thirty years ago. I ended up sitting at a table with the pilots in the room, mixture of private, top dressing, instructors, airline and warbird pilots. The conversation ended up, after a lot of beers and several side tracks, with one of the top dressing pilots making an off the cuff comment about getting in trouble for not wearing his parachute when flying a Bronco spraying. So I'm sort of "Back the bus up, are you talking about an OV10, where did you spray with one of those?" He went on to tell us about spraying coca in Columbia as a contract pilot for the US war on drug protected by helicopter gunships and being shot at by FARC rebels and drug traffickers. When I got home I googled and found some interesting info and YouTube videos. This video turned up on my FB feed this week so I thought it would interest you guys.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2020, 06:11:16 AM »
A bit more info on the operations in Columbia.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2020, 10:06:49 AM »
I spent a lot of time in Columbia as an agricultural consultant in the late 70's.  It was already bad then and I was only able to move around with local farmers who were making pay-offs.  Some of the farms were near cocoa fields and one morning a couple of guys stepped out of the bushes with uzi machine guns and wanted to take me hostage. The farmers with me explained that I was only there to look at their melon fields and showed them some paperwork that satisfied them.  Shortly after that I quit going to Columbia.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »
The State Dept. has the only OV-10's left in service with the US and those were the ones used as sprayers. The Navy borrowed a couple several years ago and upgraded the electronics and other systems. The Bronco owned by the Cactus AF in Carson City was used to conduct flight training for the Navy pilots. The 2 aircraft and pilots then went to Syria to support the SEALS and other special forces. They operated off dirt strips close to the lines and with their long loiter time did a great job of close air support and survived the missions and the Navy was very happy. They had to give the planes back to the State Dept. but wish they still had them in inventory.

One of our EAA chapter members was the Cactus chief pilot for quite a while and he loved flying the Bronco. One day last year I took an aspiring A&P mechanic over to their hangar and we watched the crew installing the wing on their 2nd Bronco.

http://www.cactusairforce.com/

The website is not very up to date but it is a great collection of aircraft and armor. I drool every single time I see the WWII Halftrack running around the airport.

Coolmercury, I was offered a job doing primary flight training if I could learn some Arabic. The only problem was the next door neighbors might not be happy with the arrangement. Oy Vey!! :a102:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2020, 07:30:06 PM »
The famous/infamous pink Cresco.

08-600 PAC Cresco built on 2002 for Mile High, a skydive company in Australia. It came out of the factory on Hamilton, NZ pink. The -600 indicates it has the 600hp PT-6 turbine in it. The later Crescos had the 750hp PT-6. It came back to NZ in 2006 to Skydive Taupo, used until 2010 when they aquired a PAC 750XL. It then had the parachute door removed and a fertiliser hopper installed and has been aerial topdressing ever since. As you can see from some of the photos, she is due for a repaint.

At Skydive Taupo, note the large parachute door

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:43:46 PM by Rural53 »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »
Thanks for posting that Rural as I had never seen that plane. Looks like quite the workhorse and is earning it's keep.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2020, 02:18:14 AM »
Thanks for posting that Rural as I had never seen that plane. Looks like quite the workhorse and is earning it's keep.

This is a development of the FU-24 "Fletcher" topdressing plane. But let's start at the beginning....

John Thorp was born in 1912 in California, educated at the Boeing School of Aeronautics and subsequently worked for Boeing. As well as working for Boeing he also designed planes for himself (most notably, the home built t-18) and others. One of these was the FU-25 for the Fletcher Aviation Corporation in Pasadena, a prototype ground attack aircraft that the military didn't buy.

At the time New Zealand top dressing operators were in the U.S. seeking a replacement for war surplus De Havilland Tiger Moths which formed the backbone of the industry. Thorp and Wendell Fletcher incorporated many elements of the Defender into a new design, the FU-24. A group of New Zealand top dressing operators gathered a hundred options for the design off the drawing board, and founded a company, Air Parts, to assemble the type in New Zealand, while a New Zealand farming company, Cable Price Corporation, funded the construction of two prototypes in the US.

The first prototype FU-24 flew in June 1954 in the US, then was disassembled for shipment to New Zealand, together with the (unflown) second prototype. The original prototype had a 225 hp engine and open cockpit. Prior to production commencing, this design was altered to add an enclosed cockpit and more powerful 260 to 310 hp Continental engines.

Original open cockpit FU-24

The next 70 aircraft were delivered to NZ in kit form and assembled at Hamilton airport. From 1961 full production was undertaken locally, by Air Parts. After the 257th aircraft the engine was changed to a 400 hp Lycoming IO-720 horizontally-opposed eight-cylinder engine and over a hundred earlier aircraft were re-built and re-engined by the factory.

400hp FU-24

By the late 1960's operators were experimenting with fitting turbine engines to some Fletchers, with P&W PT6, Garrett and Walter turbines being popular.

Walter turbine Fletcher, note twin main wheels

In the mid 1970's Air Parts had gone through several incarnations and was now Pacific Aerospace Corporation (PAC). They decided that the 400hp Fletcher had reached the limits of redevelopment and introduced the larger and stronger PAC Cresco. Although they look similar they share very few components.

The first ten Cresco were powered by a 600hp Lycoming LTP 101 turbine, then until 1992, a 600hp  Pratt and Whitney PT-6. From 1992 the more powerful 750hp PT-6 was fitted. Initially built as topdressing aircraft they soon found favour with skydiving companies being able to carry nine skydives with a fast rate of climb, around 1,500 ft/min.

In 2001 PAC launched the PAC P-750 XSTOL (initially called the PAC 750XL) that combined the engine and wings of the PAC Cresco with a new large fuselage and modified tail. This was aimed directly at the skydiving market with the larger fuselage able to carry 17 skydivers. With the Cresco high lift wings and plenty of power it can take a load of parachutists to 12,000 feet (3,700 m) and return to land in 10 minutes. A wider market was subsequently sought, and examples have been sold for use in utility roles, including freight, agricultural applications, passenger operations, aerial photography and surveying. Twelve aircraft have now been extensively modified for geo-survey work, being fitted with a magnetic anomaly detector sting tail.

There are currently 23 750XLs registered in the US (no Fletcher's or Crescos).

MAD equiped 750XL
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:40:55 AM by Rural53 »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2020, 10:06:22 AM »
Thanks for the info and pics Rural. You answered what I had stuck in my mind and now I know it is those aircraft just scream John Thorp.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2020, 02:17:17 AM »
Yeap, definitely shouts John Thorp. What I didn't say was in 1966 when Fletcher Aviation got out of building aeroplanes PAC bought the rights and the Fletcher became a truly NZ plane.

A real one way strip. When this was posted on FB a year or so ago there was plenty of "Oh he's unsafe, landing downwind"  :D

In cockpit view of a one way strip, note the ASI at 0:55

Edit: $1,500,000 aeroplane and they still use a piece of rope to open the hopper.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:21:49 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2020, 06:43:37 PM »
1978 New Zealand Frigate HMNZS Waikato after rescuing a US Navy Sea King helicopter that was dangerously low on fuel and the only alternative was to ditch at sea. The Commander of Waikato Captain Ian Bradley was applauded by the US Navy and condemned by the heirachy in New Zealand. It was the first ever time a Sea King helicopter had ever landed on a Leander Class frigate although a similar situation during the Falklands war in 1982 saw a Sea King have to make an emergency landing aboard HMS Minerva which was a sister ship to Waikato (Batch 2 Leander)

Photo Colourised
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:45:14 PM by Rural53 »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2020, 07:41:27 PM »
B-17/5

Offline Rural53

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2020, 08:25:34 PM »
The famous "Four Feathered" photo. The engine in the nose is the prototype Wright XT-35 Typhoon turboprop. Jet development overtook this engine and the next long range bomber was swept wing and jet powered.

Assuming that is late 40's that is still less that $4k in today's money, a good price for a Allison.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:27:17 PM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2020, 04:57:46 AM »
"I need new underwear!"

DC3 dropping sky divers. Large group exit causing Centre of Gravity (GoG) to move aft probably passed aft limit. The pilot would have run out of elevator authority, the nose came up and the aircraft stalled. The nose dropped and the aircraft spun. The pilot recovered and landed.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »
A member of our warbird forum was on this B-25 and they almost made it to Stockton Airport in CA where his shop and facility is. Those irrigation ditches are rough on airplanes.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72077&sid=bc8e5f2192d06d8257233e02b5163879

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:21:25 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2020, 04:02:53 AM »
An Ambush of Tigers at Taumarunui this last week end. Annual Tigermoth fly-in. BAL, mid line up, is the one I've flown. Thanks to my mate Paddy for the photo.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »
Pretty impressive lineup of Tigermoths. Never flown one but have never been around one.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2020, 06:26:01 PM »
"Air to air view of No. 14 Squadron Aermacchi NZ6463 with the erupting volcano, Mt. Ruapehu in the background." 1996.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2020, 01:36:33 AM »
Andover beat up over the Blunty flight line. [Blunty = BAC 167 Strikemaster]
Ohakea 1984

Offline Rural53

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2020, 01:44:12 AM »
A great morning yesterday at Pacific Aerospace as Cresco 40 made its first flight.  This is the first new Cresco in almost 20 years and will be going to long time Pacific Aerospace customer Rural Air Work Ltd from Hawke’s Bay where it will join a sister pink aircraft. 
Changes on this aircraft from the earlier models include improved cockpit sealing and air conditioning, more use of P-750 components, a carbon fibre engine cowl, and an EFIS avionics fitout.  Several other improvements are in development and will be rolled out on new aircraft and as retrofits to existing aircraft.
Pacific Aerospace is enjoying strong interest from operators so expect to see more new Crescos next year.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »
Always nice to see companies putting out new production. How is the situation in NZ on numbers of Airframe and Powerplant mechanics or your equivalent? At our Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) chapter we try to help any aspiring A & P mechanics any way possible. Our latest success story is a young man that one of our members took under his wing several years ago to gain his practical experience as a mechanic. Our members all chipped in and came up with a rolling box set full of tools he needed.
The only thing lacking from the boxes was adjustable wrenches as those aren't allowed anywhere near an airplane. :021:

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
This wrench brings back memories of 1956.  I was just out of flight school and assigned to Forbes AFB to fly RB-47H's.  More on that if anyone is interested.  As I needed lots of ground school before they would let me in a 47 I had to try and get flight time from base flight so I could get my flight pay ($100.00 per month).  I was on a list and one day they called me and said I could get a flight in the right seat of a C-47 if I could get there in 10 minutes.  The flight was just from Forbes to Offett and back but I logged four hours which is my total C-47 time.

This wrench is a Wright 82750 (also stamped Armstrong) and is a jug wrench for the cylinders / jugs of a C-47.  This was recently given to my by a 97 year old WW-2 C-47 pilot.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2020, 08:13:23 PM »
As a serious A&P, you should always keep your tools well organized.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2020, 02:18:19 AM »
Royal Navy Hunter GA 11 XF297 jumps the wheel chocks at full power run.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »
Always point the aircraft at a building, hangar or other aircraft and never at open space when handpropping or doing a full power runup. :lol_hitting:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2020, 02:47:59 AM »
 O:-)

A Christmas Story
Three pilots died on Christmas Eve and were met by Saint Peter at the pearly gates.
Saint Peter said, 'In honor of this holy season, you must each possess something that symbolizes Christmas to get into heaven.'
The Army helicopter pilot thumbed through his pockets and pulled out a lighter.  He flicked it on. 'It's a candle,’ he said.  Saint Peter said 'It did make light; you may pass through the pearly gates'.
The Air Force pilot reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys.  He shook them and said, 'They're bells.'  Saint Peter said, 'They had a ring to them; you may pass through the pearly gates.’
The freight dog started searching desperately through his pockets and finally pulled out a pair of women's panties.  St. Peter looked at the man with a raised eyebrow and asked, 'And just what do those symbolize?'  He replied, 'These are Carols.'

:lol_hitting:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2020, 01:31:49 AM »
Cessna 180 dropping hay.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2020, 02:00:52 AM »
Looks like all that hay decided to bale.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2020, 09:32:55 AM »
That's quite a wing load on that Cessna. Goes to show that Cessna planes are truly the little workhorses of the aviation industry.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »
I can't even begin to imagine the amount of drag those hay bales produced.

Offline john k

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »
Imagine the feeling in the yoke when they bombs away?

Offline Rural53

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2020, 02:56:07 PM »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2021, 03:17:35 AM »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2021, 09:20:47 PM »
Nine Canadairs hit a fire

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2021, 01:42:44 PM »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2021, 06:01:03 PM »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2021, 04:28:45 PM »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2021, 05:40:57 PM »
Here is my favorite C-17 video from 2012. An AF C-17 thought they were lined up for Macdill AFB runway and they ended up landing at Peter O. Knight general aviation airport in Tampa FL which has a 3583' runway. It was blamed on pilot fatigue but it landed safely and took off safely.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2021, 01:21:26 AM »
They got that off the ground pretty quick, unlike this fully laden IL-76 at Canberra.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2021, 10:10:12 PM »
One of those pink Cresco working a fire in the Hawkes Bay last week.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2021, 05:48:51 PM »
How you do one hundred topdressing loads in a day. 1,800kg/3,900lb in under three minutes.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:53:09 PM by Rural53 »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
That is pretty amazing to do 3 minutes per turn. No daydreaming allowed working that low. I love flying low level and it is a blast doing it in a P-51 at high speed but you really have to look ahead for snags or powerlines.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2021, 07:52:55 PM »
Yesterday at Wings over Wairarapa. It was supposed to happen at the last airshow two years ago but didn't for operational reasons.

Photo credit: Stewart Watson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2021, 11:02:54 PM »
Due to their size their speed is deceptive. I used to share airspace with them and every single time I thought I could pass in front of them I had to let them go by first. One time when I was screwing around with them I noticed the tail cannon barrels tracking me so I quit. I also used to watch them flying low level over the Arizona desert and that was amazing to watch.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2021, 10:59:00 PM »
A 19-hour round trip from its base in Guam, with one air to air refueling.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2021, 11:02:15 PM »
 :))

Flight Cat-astrophe: Aircraft forced to land after angry feline takes over cockpit!

It's not uncommon for aircraft emergency landings to make the news, but the reason for this one is anything but regular.

A Tarco Airlines flight was flying from Khartoum, Sudan to Doha, Qatar last weekend, when the pilots in the cockpit were attacked by a cat.

In what could be described as a hairy take-off, the incident happened just a couple of minutes after the flight had left Khartoum International Airport.

Clearly not a fan of flying, the cat's erratic behaviour is said to have made it impossible to catch as it jumped and scratched its way around the cockpit.

The flight had to turn around and return to Khartoum International Airport which, by the way, has the very hissy airport code of HSSS.

At first it was thought perhaps an animal smuggling passenger had let the cat out of the bag after take-off, but further investigations have revealed the cat most likely climbed aboard the aircraft while it was in a hangar the night before the flight.

No serious injuries have been reported and it's unclear as to what happened to the cat once the aircraft landed.

from msn news

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2021, 10:04:23 PM »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2021, 10:08:59 PM »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2021, 10:09:53 PM »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2021, 10:32:46 PM »
The last video there with Connie Edwards is great. The guy who ran my friend's restoration shop was the broker who sold these aircraft.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2021, 02:23:59 PM »
In 1968 this float-plane was put on the back of a truck at Christchurch Airport in an attempt to launch it airborne.

The truck belted down the runway as fast as an old Bedford could go and after a few failed attempts the plane took off from the back of the truck!

: The Press

Offline Rural53

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2021, 04:28:43 AM »
Film from Norair circa 1950s spoofing Ejection Seat testing. From the archives of the San Diego Air and Space Museum.

Offline muddy

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2021, 10:07:35 PM »
Film from Norair circa 1950s spoofing Ejection Seat testing. From the archives of the San Diego Air and Space Museum.

:))

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
When the engine on your TBM torpedo bomber fails and you are already at a low altitude due to flying in an airshow at the beach.

<iframe width="799" height="464" src=" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2021, 07:53:46 AM »
Super job of putting it down and probably not too much damage.  Of course any such landing that you survive is a good one! :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »
Super job of putting it down and probably not too much damage.  Of course any such landing that you survive is a good one! :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
Sad to see any warbird crash. Nicely executed landing though. I'm see reports it has been recovered with minimal structural damage. Unfortunately it has been impounded for the investigation so it is not getting the salt water washed out immediately.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2021, 02:04:56 PM »
Sad to see any warbird crash. Nicely executed landing though. I'm see reports it has been recovered with minimal structural damage. Unfortunately it has been impounded for the investigation so it is not getting the salt water washed out immediately.

It will need a total overhaul and rebuild after being immersed in saltwater. It will be cheaper to buy another one rather than spend tons of money to repair this one. It also depends if the insurance company decides to scrap it or sell it at auction.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2021, 06:00:16 AM »
Air Tractors in Australia spraying.

I remember one of the Ag pilots in the aero club bar one Friday night when I lived in Gisborne in the late 90's, telling us about his recent experiences over the ditch in Australia flying an Air Tractor doing ultra low volume spraying on rice paddies. He reckoned it was always a toss up if you would have to to land to refill the spray tank or the fuel tank!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2021, 10:01:10 AM »
Here is your chance to own Paul Allen's B-17 Flying Fortress for just $9,000,000. It is 80% restored and will probably only take 4-5 million dollars to finish.

https://www.platinumfighters.com/inventory-2/1941-boeing-b-17e-flying-fortress-

Offline Rural53

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2021, 12:02:24 AM »

Offline john k

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »
Gaaaah, army flashback, generators and trucks and tanks firing up at O-dark hundred,  nowhere to get away from the smell.  Those were the days!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »
The KC Candles website didn't show that as one of their current offerings as I would of got one for an F-4C Vietnam era fighter pilot friend. May just have to get him the gunsmoke candle.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2021, 08:56:13 PM »
One of my fav war planes.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2021, 10:13:44 PM »
That is one of my favorites and I would have loved the chance to fly one. I was in the back seat of a T-28 Trojan one day when we made a 3 ship formation takeoff. Once off the ground the P-51D on the left and the F4U on the right closed in tight. The 12' diameter prop on the Corsair looked huge turning right outside my canopy. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2021, 10:32:38 PM »
As a young kid probably 10ish the family trekked down to Harlingen Texas to see a confederate air force show. The first big rotary engine I ever heard was attached to one of those blue bent wing birds. Been my favorite plane ever since.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2021, 10:38:40 AM »
As a young kid probably 10ish the family trekked down to Harlingen Texas to see a confederate air force show. The first big rotary engine I ever heard was attached to one of those blue bent wing birds. Been my favorite plane ever since.

That was probably the glory days of the CAF when they had plenty of different types of warbirds and avgas was cheap. They got ahead of the woke game by changing their name to the Commemorative Air Force years back when they started to get pushback on their name that could affect show gigs.

You can see the F4U's every Saturday on Heroes and Icons channel on TV. H&I channel is 293 on Dish and starts at 7pm Eastern with Black Sheep Squadron followed by Tour Of Duty, Combat, Rat Patrol and 12 O'Clock High. Most of those shows I loved watching as a kid. 

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2021, 02:28:22 PM »
Yes the Corsair was a great plane and I saw a real demonstration of aerobatics by no less than the Honduras Air Force in the late 1960's.  I was doing a lot of consulting for United Brands in those days and spending time in the San Pedro Sula area.  Was on a weekend and the air force operated off a dirt strip just outside town.  They must have had some kind of drill that weekend and they were doing acrobatics every time one of them came back to the airport.  As I remember, they had six aircraft in the air at times.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2021, 06:07:02 PM »
Yes the Corsair was a great plane and I saw a real demonstration of aerobatics by no less than the Honduras Air Force in the late 1960's.  I was doing a lot of consulting for United Brands in those days and spending time in the San Pedro Sula area.  Was on a weekend and the air force operated off a dirt strip just outside town.  They must have had some kind of drill that weekend and they were doing acrobatics every time one of them came back to the airport.  As I remember, they had six aircraft in the air at times.
that would have been cool to see. Were the planes still blue? For some odd reason I've always felt the Corsair was supposed to be blue. I saw an OD one once and thought it was so ugly. But then again I feel the P38 should be polished aluminum and the P51 should have the invasion stripes. Kinda odd.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2021, 07:12:39 AM »
Yes, the planes were still blue, with the Honduras flag painted where the USA star had been before.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2021, 02:32:06 AM »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2021, 04:53:57 AM »
Air Chathams schedules Convair 580 retirement

Air Chathams has announced that it will retire its final Convair 580 on 17 September 2021. The propliner involved is ZK-CIB (327A) which has been part of the fleet since June 1996.

Originally, the airline had planned to retire the Convair at the end of July but new lockdowns due to the Corona-pandemic warranted an extension and use the aircraft for domestic cargo flights. Air Chathams retired its other final two Convairs, ZK-KFL (372) and ZK-CIE (399) in October 2020 and April 2021. Retirement was unavoidable as maintenance costs would become too high due to a lack of spare-parts.

Air Chatham's fleet now consists of one ATR72 and three Saab 340s, three Swearingen Metroliners, one Cessna 206 and a DC-3.

Photo by Air Chathams.

Source  https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/air-chathams-schedules-convair-580-retirement?fbclid=IwAR0BtHc0Lrd9wtSJoPLm5_wLEDJkXqJDHiNtNBRUdZY7MYmDKxlTNqlenVM
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:55:58 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2022, 11:22:55 PM »

This photo popped up on FB the other day. The Piper Cub ZK-BQV used to be owned by a syndicate in Gisborne and is the first taildragger I had a ride in. I nearly had to change my pants when Kevin side slipped it coming into land.

The Tigermoth ZK-BAL is the first, and only, taildragger I flew. It is also the aircraft I have done a lot of aerobatics in as a passenger. It is interesting being upside down with nothing between you and the ground but a harness. It is still owned by a syndicate in Gisborne.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:25:03 PM by Rural53 »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2022, 07:30:51 PM »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2022, 06:53:26 AM »
It's a marvel of an aircraft for sure, and the technology is amazing. What really impresses me though is that Jack Northrop figured out flying wing designs in the 1930's without the help of computers to design, and ultimately fly a prototype. He used paper, pencil and a slide rule; an amazing man.