Author Topic: Anything Aviation  (Read 24821 times)

Offline coolmercury

Re: Anything Aviation
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2021, 07:53:46 AM »
Super job of putting it down and probably not too much damage.  Of course any such landing that you survive is a good one! :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »
Super job of putting it down and probably not too much damage.  Of course any such landing that you survive is a good one! :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
Sad to see any warbird crash. Nicely executed landing though. I'm see reports it has been recovered with minimal structural damage. Unfortunately it has been impounded for the investigation so it is not getting the salt water washed out immediately.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2021, 02:04:56 PM »
Sad to see any warbird crash. Nicely executed landing though. I'm see reports it has been recovered with minimal structural damage. Unfortunately it has been impounded for the investigation so it is not getting the salt water washed out immediately.

It will need a total overhaul and rebuild after being immersed in saltwater. It will be cheaper to buy another one rather than spend tons of money to repair this one. It also depends if the insurance company decides to scrap it or sell it at auction.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2021, 06:00:16 AM »
Air Tractors in Australia spraying.

I remember one of the Ag pilots in the aero club bar one Friday night when I lived in Gisborne in the late 90's, telling us about his recent experiences over the ditch in Australia flying an Air Tractor doing ultra low volume spraying on rice paddies. He reckoned it was always a toss up if you would have to to land to refill the spray tank or the fuel tank!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2021, 10:01:10 AM »
Here is your chance to own Paul Allen's B-17 Flying Fortress for just $9,000,000. It is 80% restored and will probably only take 4-5 million dollars to finish.

https://www.platinumfighters.com/inventory-2/1941-boeing-b-17e-flying-fortress-

Offline Rural53

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2021, 12:02:24 AM »

Offline john k

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »
Gaaaah, army flashback, generators and trucks and tanks firing up at O-dark hundred,  nowhere to get away from the smell.  Those were the days!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »
The KC Candles website didn't show that as one of their current offerings as I would of got one for an F-4C Vietnam era fighter pilot friend. May just have to get him the gunsmoke candle.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2021, 08:56:13 PM »
One of my fav war planes.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2021, 10:13:44 PM »
That is one of my favorites and I would have loved the chance to fly one. I was in the back seat of a T-28 Trojan one day when we made a 3 ship formation takeoff. Once off the ground the P-51D on the left and the F4U on the right closed in tight. The 12' diameter prop on the Corsair looked huge turning right outside my canopy. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2021, 10:32:38 PM »
As a young kid probably 10ish the family trekked down to Harlingen Texas to see a confederate air force show. The first big rotary engine I ever heard was attached to one of those blue bent wing birds. Been my favorite plane ever since.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2021, 10:38:40 AM »
As a young kid probably 10ish the family trekked down to Harlingen Texas to see a confederate air force show. The first big rotary engine I ever heard was attached to one of those blue bent wing birds. Been my favorite plane ever since.

That was probably the glory days of the CAF when they had plenty of different types of warbirds and avgas was cheap. They got ahead of the woke game by changing their name to the Commemorative Air Force years back when they started to get pushback on their name that could affect show gigs.

You can see the F4U's every Saturday on Heroes and Icons channel on TV. H&I channel is 293 on Dish and starts at 7pm Eastern with Black Sheep Squadron followed by Tour Of Duty, Combat, Rat Patrol and 12 O'Clock High. Most of those shows I loved watching as a kid. 

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2021, 02:28:22 PM »
Yes the Corsair was a great plane and I saw a real demonstration of aerobatics by no less than the Honduras Air Force in the late 1960's.  I was doing a lot of consulting for United Brands in those days and spending time in the San Pedro Sula area.  Was on a weekend and the air force operated off a dirt strip just outside town.  They must have had some kind of drill that weekend and they were doing acrobatics every time one of them came back to the airport.  As I remember, they had six aircraft in the air at times.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2021, 06:07:02 PM »
Yes the Corsair was a great plane and I saw a real demonstration of aerobatics by no less than the Honduras Air Force in the late 1960's.  I was doing a lot of consulting for United Brands in those days and spending time in the San Pedro Sula area.  Was on a weekend and the air force operated off a dirt strip just outside town.  They must have had some kind of drill that weekend and they were doing acrobatics every time one of them came back to the airport.  As I remember, they had six aircraft in the air at times.
that would have been cool to see. Were the planes still blue? For some odd reason I've always felt the Corsair was supposed to be blue. I saw an OD one once and thought it was so ugly. But then again I feel the P38 should be polished aluminum and the P51 should have the invasion stripes. Kinda odd.