Author Topic: Transmission woes  (Read 16029 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Transmission woes
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2020, 08:49:53 PM »
Nice work!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 11:52:22 PM »
Great that you did it yourself. I wouldn't do it myself. :bravo_2:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 02:22:52 PM »
Put about 20-30 miles on it this weekend and the only complaint is that it may be going into lockup a little too soon. @45mph it feels like its lugging a bit. Turn the OD switch off and it smooths right out. on the hiway lock up and OD seems right. The OD and lockup relays were replaced just prior to the rebuild.

May need to upgrade my scanner to look at what the trans is doing.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
Careful, you might become a scannerkid™

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
Nice work! I don't know if I have the stones (or interest)anymore to rebuild an auto. A standard, sure. But I like driving a stick.

Whatever happened to the guy who liked doing this around here? Was from Phoenix...

Online Heiny57

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 09:02:41 AM »
Good job and great write up.  :08:

How has it been running?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:03:28 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »
I've put @200 miles on it and it seems to be good. I keep getting a transtemp CEL but it just flashes on then off. I've checked the temp several times and the most I've seen was 175 at the pan. checked all connections and everything seems tight on the outside. Will be pulling the pan around 1000 miles to see what it looks like. may be swapping the temp sensor out again.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
Update?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
Still moving. :hee20hee20hee:

I've got @2K miles on it. pulled the pan @800 miles and swapped out the temp unit. Still getting an occasional high temp CEL but it clears almost as soon as it sets. The pan was spotless. no metal, no dust, nothing. :dance:. I got a slight drip out the tailshaft seal. I put a new bushing in during the rebuild and replaced the seal a month or so back. and it still drips :021: I "think" i may be overfilling it. I noticed the dipstick wasn't all the way down on the trans case the other day. I'm thinking it may be overfilled and causing the rear seal to drip.

Maybe not 100% on the rebuild but I'm happy with it so far. I wouldn't hesitate to tear into another one.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »
Congrats, nothing like a win first time out of the gate :bravo_2:

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2020, 10:18:24 PM »
Isn't that was dining room tables are for?

Seriously, did you run into any needs for specialized tools?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2020, 10:31:33 PM »
Isn't that was dining room tables are for?

Seriously, did you run into any needs for specialized tools?

I had to make a press plate to squeeze the OD clutch pack. it had a 600lb spring in it that had to be corralled I think there are pics of it in the thread. I bought a bushing driver kit but could have gotten by without it. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
We had a setback this morning. Lately I've noticed that the drive engagement was a bit slow. Park to reverse is strong and solid but park to drive is a bit slow, just kinda eases into motion. once engaged its locked up good tho, no slippage. Until this morning.

went into reverse fine but just never did engage in drive. none of the forward gears seem to engage correctly. I think something in the linkage is messed up. gear shift feels a bit wonky. or it could be something sticking in the valve body. I'll check it out this weekend, hopefully its something simple.

Offline muddy

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2020, 09:27:09 PM »
We had a setback this morning. Lately I've noticed that the drive engagement was a bit slow. Park to reverse is strong and solid but park to drive is a bit slow, just kinda eases into motion. once engaged its locked up good tho, no slippage. Until this morning.

went into reverse fine but just never did engage in drive. none of the forward gears seem to engage correctly. I think something in the linkage is messed up. gear shift feels a bit wonky. or it could be something sticking in the valve body. I'll check it out this weekend, hopefully its something simple.
No es bueno

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline slip knot

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »
Checked all the linkages and kickdown cables, they're ok. Checked pressure at the various ports and found the front servo has 0 pressure should be 145psi+ in reverse. So I gotta do some research and see what controls that pressure point. The rear servo and accumulator are right on the money pressure wise so I think I can pin it down to a valve body issue. Rebuilt valve bodies ae available for $400+ but wheres the fun in that. :017: