Author Topic: Transmission woes  (Read 15785 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: Transmission woes
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »
Well it wasn't the valve body after all. The rear oil pump bushing came out and wiped the seal rings. no pressure, no clutch engagement.

Pulled the rest of the trans apart and it all looks fine otherwise. Now I got to figure out why that bushing came out. There is a bit more endplay than I remembered in it so the shaft may have walked it out. Got a set of bushings and a set of thrust washers on order. May have to replace the pump stator but I want to see how the bushing fits before I condemn a perfectly good part.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
Glad you ;got it sorted out

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2020, 01:40:01 PM »
Well it wasn't the valve body after all. The rear oil pump bushing came out and wiped the seal rings. no pressure, no clutch engagement.

Pulled the rest of the trans apart and it all looks fine otherwise. Now I got to figure out why that bushing came out. There is a bit more endplay than I remembered in it so the shaft may have walked it out. Got a set of bushings and a set of thrust washers on order. May have to replace the pump stator but I want to see how the bushing fits before I condemn a perfectly good part.

Good call on the stator. If the inside mating surface is worn then it can effect endplay. Also might want to measure how far in the torque converter engages the pump dogs. Often times the converter barely engages the pump and effects bushing performance and wear.