Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 670589 times)

Offline Midnitemack

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2265 on: July 23, 2021, 05:10:27 PM »
Midnite, is fresh water plentiful in NZ?  Curious as I would assume it takes a lot to irrigate crops.

Where we are in the Mid Atlantic, fresh water is not a problem but in the Western US it is a big concern

Phil, yes you would have to say water is abundant here in NZ, but is getting increasingly regulated, both in the amount you can take and how to maintain water quality, nitrates are a problem because our groundwater is reasonably shallow and our predominance of grass fed pastoral faming and high use of nitrogenous fertilizers. Aquifers here in our area are charged primarily from snow melt in the mountains less than 40 miles west of us. The groundwater level has changed in recent times for us as, aquifers were topped up by excess runoff from flood irrigation but the change to spray irrigation  has seen much more efficient use of that water. To the extent that our house well had gone dry and we have recently put down a new well ( now 100ft deep with water at about 20ft ). During periods of rain in the mountains we have much water than runs out the rivers to the sea and is wasted ,so we have some schemes locally to save this water in lakes and ponds in times of the rivers are in flood. Our area is different to the rest of NZ as its the biggest area of flat land and the predominance of irrigation on farms here. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2266 on: July 23, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »
Midnite, is fresh water plentiful in NZ?  Curious as I would assume it takes a lot to irrigate crops.

Where we are in the Mid Atlantic, fresh water is not a problem but in the Western US it is a big concern

Phil, yes you would have to say water is abundant here in NZ, but is getting increasingly regulated, both in the amount you can take and how to maintain water quality, nitrates are a problem because our groundwater is reasonably shallow and our predominance of grass fed pastoral faming and high use of nitrogenous fertilizers. Aquifers here in our area are charged primarily from snow melt in the mountains less than 40 miles west of us. The groundwater level has changed in recent times for us as, aquifers were topped up by excess runoff from flood irrigation but the change to spray irrigation  has seen much more efficient use of that water. To the extent that our house well had gone dry and we have recently put down a new well ( now 100ft deep with water at about 20ft ). During periods of rain in the mountains we have much water than runs out the rivers to the sea and is wasted ,so we have some schemes locally to save this water in lakes and ponds in times of the rivers are in flood. Our area is different to the rest of NZ as its the biggest area of flat land and the predominance of irrigation on farms here. 

We are in a severe drought right now with fires raging in Nevada. We have a well and as a domestic well we are limited to about 1,800 gals a day. The water can only be used for the house, landscaping and livestock even though we are zoned rural agriculture. If you want to grow any crops, pasture or hay you must have water rights. I haven't checked prices recently but the rights were running $7-8,000 per acre ft. to buy if you can find them. Older water rights going back to 1865 or so are worth the most and have priority when water supply is tight.

Offline ron350

« Reply #2267 on: July 23, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »
I hope you stay un singd.

When i hear water rights it reminds me of The Malagro Beanfield War.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2268 on: July 27, 2021, 06:38:00 AM »
Pulled the pan on the coupe, not really leaking, weeping. The 350 oil pan has a 4 piece gasket and has always been, is a PIA to get sealed.

Anyway long story short this is a shot of how to get a good seal. Glue it up (silicone) let cure 24 hr.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline walrus

« Reply #2269 on: July 27, 2021, 05:19:28 PM »
I did the same with Valve covers on my 390. Krusty always said use isopropyl Alcohol to clean metal surfaces before gluing. Works for me. best part is block stays clean when you have to pull cover or pan off as gasket stays with cover or pan, much easier to scrape off old gasket off pan than off block

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2270 on: July 28, 2021, 11:07:00 AM »
Learning how to “drive” one of these 1HP models. “HP” in this case = Human Powered. First time in my life I’ve been in a kayak, but it’s a heck of a good upper body cardio workout. - LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2271 on: July 28, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »
Ray. First lesson of kayaking is go upwind while your fresh. The wind will help you get back when your tired out

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2272 on: July 28, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »
Ray. First lesson of kayaking is go upwind while your fresh. The wind will help you get back when your tired out

Thanks for the tip. Yes, it's quite easy to paddle with the wind at your back, but then the reverse direction is often a real chore. I'm learning a lot from watching some experienced YouTuber vids, but it's very easy to get overconfident and paddle too far away from home base; making the return journey a stressful endeavor.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2273 on: July 28, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »
Pretty sure they make trolling motors for those Kayaks :))

Offline walrus

« Reply #2274 on: July 28, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »
Always this, :)  You can coast back. Do it at my brothers house. Also watch out for boats.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2275 on: July 28, 2021, 06:03:51 PM »
That's great Ray. Do you have a buddy to paddle along with?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2276 on: July 28, 2021, 08:06:48 PM »
That's great Ray. Do you have a buddy to paddle along with?

My daughter loves to kayak, and she's pretty good at it. I bought another kayak so she can join me when she's around. This time of year I can only hit the lake early in the morning. By mid-day the heat and humidity will kill an old guy like me. Come fall this should be a lot more fun. Cooler temps and crisp mornings will make the kyaking a bit more fun.

My wife doesn't kayak, but I did buy her a pedal (aka paddle) boat so both of us can get on the lake in a more comfy two seater.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2277 on: July 28, 2021, 08:08:34 PM »
Pretty sure they make trolling motors for those Kayaks :))

I though about it when I was huffin' and puffin' a few times Phil -- LOL

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #2278 on: August 01, 2021, 12:44:21 AM »
I fired up the track loader and knocked over some birch trees that were shading the garden, then I back-dragged  to smooth it out, and get rid of some brush to prep for putting in footings to mount some solar panels.  Bucked up the trees and tossed the limbs on a burn pile.  I'll light it up in January, when there is no fire hazard and no light.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2279 on: August 04, 2021, 06:00:24 AM »

15,000lb loader vs my work car, loader won.

I was on a different site in town auditing temporary traffic management when my helper rang me to ask about something. He finished saying "You know how well this week is going, it just got better", then told me about it. They had to reverse the loader at least 100' before they ran into the car!