Author Topic: A tandem for kids.  (Read 3962 times)

Offline strik9

• X
A tandem for kids.
« on: March 03, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »
The kids can't pilot the other as the frame is too big.  So a 24" girls bike and a 16" kiddy bike became a smaller tandem frame.

This is good for kids 10 to about 16 on the front, any younger isn't wise.  On the back ages 6 and up. 

I am just fitting up the frame for welding now, still shory a good pile of parts.

Offline strik9

• X
Re: A tandem for kids.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
All welded up and fitting some used bits from my stockpiles.    Here with big brother you can see how the two frames look as one, where the other doesn't.

The front wheel may be changed for a 20" depending on how the pedals clear the ground. 

Pedals and chains are up next. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:17:19 PM by strik9 »

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 06:03:32 PM »
The Kids will love it!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »
Some paint, a few more parts and an idea of how lo g the lift bar needs to be now.  For the fancy bike crowd this won't have much appeal but it isn't being made for them. 

The tires are flat and its missing a few required parts yet but we'll get there.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 01:16:56 AM »
The link to give the frame lift is in and some new chains fit.  They will need tensioners of course.

Progress is slower from here as its all Monkeyshine engineering  but soon it happens.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:31:57 AM »
Nice work so far.
Definitely an interesting project.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »
Thanks, these things are a real challenge to make work reliably.  This one has been slightly less difficult than the first.

I took two worn out rear derailleurs and made them chain tensioners.  I can backpedal or pedal foreward and it will not throw the chains.    The timing chain opposite of the drive chain ( unlike the other ) made it far easier to get everything lined up.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:08:47 PM by strik9 »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 12:01:22 AM »
Picking through the junk piles gave me just enough bits for rear brakes.  I honestly do not know where I got an extra long brake cable not rusted stiff.

The mysteries of the ages again....

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
We took a ride into town to get the last parts to make it rideable, at least for one.  No passable seat post in my pile so we bought one.

And then he took a shakedown run at home before we went to get some sodas. 

It is good despite using mostly worn used parts.  It keeps the chains on and all.

Next up, make the seat post for the back with a 8" kickback.  Not much room as it is.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »
This is what it looks like finished.  I had to make a slightly non standard seat post for the stoker.  Move the seat up and back to make legroom.  Its a rather heavily made post so it should survive a 50 lb kid for a bit.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 10:39:54 PM »
I'll bet other kids will be jealous when that goes by.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 12:29:16 AM »
We are planning our first two tandem ride if I can find willing stokers.  Both are geared quite low so no speed records are expected.

I am kind of wondering what kind of public reaction they get.