Author Topic: Re: Covid-19 virus cases in your area?  (Read 13434 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Covid-19 virus cases in your area?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
Looking at some of the CDC data that came out late last week it's pretty clear that their statistical models were wrong. This virus (with regard to the continental US) has not been as deadly as the seasonal flu. Whatever variable(s) caused those models to predict "millions" of cases and hundreds of thousands of deaths points to the fact that the CDC clearly needs to restructure their sampling methodology.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2020, 04:53:34 PM »
Looking at some of the CDC data that came out late last week it's pretty clear that their statistical models were wrong. This virus (with regard to the continental US) has not been as deadly as the seasonal flu. Whatever variable(s) caused those models to predict "millions" of cases and hundreds of thousands of deaths points to the fact that the CDC clearly needs to restructure their sampling methodology.

Was it this data you saw?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

I don't really see anything there, or elsewhere, which indicates their statistical modelling was way off at this point. By the time this wave plays out it looks like being an "official" seven figure case count and a six figure death toll is a possibility. Death toll has gone from minimal to bad flu season level in the last four weeks. And that's with all the measures in place attempting to stop the virus spreading.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

And I'll leave this here for the folks who don't want to read the links.

Offline walrus

Re: Covid-19 virus cases in your area?
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2020, 04:59:25 PM »
Maine now has more recovered cases than active cases. Of course in reality Maine has no clue how many cases there have been and therefor how many have recovered.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 05:33:39 PM »
Sorry Ray but non-peer reviewed work done by scholars doesn't impress me especially when it comes from China.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »
Maine now has more recovered cases than active cases. Of course in reality Maine has no clue how many cases there have been and therefor how many have recovered.

I think that's the problem all over, they have no idea how many have recovered from this so its hard to put a real % on it. What I'm seeing is this pandemic thing was played to the hilt and made to destroy our economy, yeah its bad but not the devastation that was initially predicted. Certainly has a political tilt to it, both foreign and domestic.

My county currently has 97 cases 3 hospitalized and 1 death. the death wasn't here but the guy was from here so it counts for us. He had been in Houston for a month at MD Anderson, died there.

Our county hospital is so slow right now they are furloughing employees. my wifes been off a week and a half. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
My county now has almost 1000 cases and 151 deaths. But then the local health department head comes on and says not to put much stock in such "raw" numbers because they are only really useful to the professionals.   :a102:

I don't think they have a clue. It sounds like a bunch of damage-control and CYA if you ask me.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2020, 08:49:52 PM »

Was it this data you saw?

Looked at the CDC report on COVID deaths  vs. regular flu. The initial projection that were made to the public by Drs. Fauci and Brix in the press conferences in early March were showing deaths in the hundred of thousands and infections in the millions -- and that included projections based on lock-down scenarios. Not sure who ran those number -- CDC, NIH, WHO, NHS, or a combination thereof, but it was reported as being the most stable and accurate models that were baselined against already developing Italian pandemic numbers.

Offline highland512

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2020, 07:24:59 AM »
Spring farm work has begun in our area, what china fever?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2020, 07:29:48 AM »
Thank God spring farm work has started.  Hopefully there will be folks to harvest the food so we can eat.  Food shortages, and I mean real shortages would spell chaos

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2020, 07:34:35 AM »
Looked at the CDC report on COVID deaths  vs. regular flu. The initial projection that were made to the public by Drs. Fauci and Brix in the press conferences in early March were showing deaths in the hundred of thousands and infections in the millions -- and that included projections based on lock-down scenarios. Not sure who ran those number -- CDC, NIH, WHO, NHS, or a combination thereof, but it was reported as being the most stable and accurate models that were baselined against already developing Italian pandemic numbers.

The W/E 04/18 data obviously isn't final, and W/E 04/11 looks low too. The tracking sites which update regularly are currently showing 800K+ cases and around 45K deaths. Even the CDCs numbers are close to that but they're a day or so behind.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Offline highland512

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 07:49:14 AM »
Thank God spring farm work has started.  Hopefully there will be folks to harvest the food so we can eat.  Food shortages, and I mean real shortages would spell chaos

Maybe people will learn something from this and know where food come from. I doubt it though, most probably think doritos are picked from a dorito tree.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:13 AM »

Maybe people will learn something from this and know where food come from. I doubt it though, most probably think doritos are picked from a dorito tree.

dorito tree ? ? ? ? ?

i need to get me one of them!  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:07:49 AM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2020, 09:14:25 AM »

dorito tree ? ? ? ? ?

I plan on planting mine next to the busch light spring out back  :dance:

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2020, 09:35:11 AM »

dorito tree ? ? ? ? ?

I plan on planting mine next to the busch light spring out back  :dance:
about 4 feet apart so you can reach both without leaving your lawn chair.  :cool2:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!