TOOLS AND THE SHOP > GUNSMITHING/ KNIFEMAKING

Personal airgun smithing.

(1/6) > >>

hickory n Steel:
I've been doing  personal airgun work for about 6 years now and while the quality of tools I use has gotten better , the types of tools I use has stayed the same over the 31 or so airguns I currently own.

This has been all I've really needed aside from the specialty tool required for opening the soldered in valves (it's a cartridge valve with one half soldered into the compression tube ) on original pre '92 Benjamin and Sheridan airguns.
I borrowed one when I last needed,  and just have not purchased my own yet.
My area of airgun interest is mostly just multi stroke pneumatics with a few Co2 guns, and I'm an iron sight kind of guy with only one scope I occasionally use.
There's really not much more you need to reseal a multi stroke pneumatic airgun, just the ability to not bugger up any roll pins or screws and of course the rebuild kit.
Same goes for co2, in fact vintage American co2 rifles and single shot pistols are even easier to work on.
Modifying them is a different story.
There's really not a lot of difference in the tools one would use on firearms, there are just a lot less specialty tools needed and you don't use any kind of solvents and such in basic cleaning.
Really bore cleaning tools aren't even generally used.

I've got a few tools on the way, but generally this really is about all I need.

bmwrd0:
Replacing the main seal on a Benjamin like you show takes a special tool. It is square edged like a socket drive and this is a very fidley job on the older models (pre-serial number).

That is something you won't find by chance.

Here is one:https://www.bakerairguns.com/product/valve-tool-for-benjamin-sheridan/

hickory n Steel:

--- Quote from: bmwrd0 on April 09, 2020, 02:18:44 PM ---Replacing the main seal on a Benjamin like you show takes a special tool. It is square edged like a socket drive and this is a very fidley job on the older models (pre-serial number).

That is something you won't find by chance.

Here is one:https://www.bakerairguns.com/product/valve-tool-for-benjamin-sheridan/

--- End quote ---
Yes the valve puller for these is available inexpensively from pyrmidair ( best price around ), lots of other places to buy them too but I just have not needed one in a while.
Removing the retaining nut is easy enough to do with a ground square socket, but it's the threaded valve puller that one needs to buy so it's easier to just buy the too for under $20 which handle both functions.

It can be bit tricky to get everything in without cross threading the retaining nut, but its not too hard if you've done it before.
You can compress the main spring a bit to make it easier, but then you'll have to cock the gun before you can pump it.

That valve tool is really the only specialty tool needed.
For crosmans like the 140 and other earlier models removing the piston head to replace  the pump cup can be tricky, but a cut and shaped washer makes easy work of kt

There are really no other non standard tools I have needed, I'm sure some things my he different if one was working on vintage pumpers from southeast Asia or for earlier Crosman rifles such as the 101. Never been into anything foreign or older than the 1965.

hickory n Steel:
I've been getting by with regular punches for too long, Roll pin punches really are a must.

daves_not_here:
Is an old "BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" Model 312 worth restoring?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version