Author Topic: John Deere 400 rider  (Read 3953 times)

Online john k

John Deere 400 rider
« on: April 23, 2020, 09:42:22 AM »
Was more or less gifted this big JD rider.  Started, ran rough, blew smoke,  but drove it in the trailer.  Got home, zero compression on one side.  Air cooled Kohler twin with a history of break downs.  Totally disassemble things, to remove the engine.  In the oil sump was no. 1 con rod.  In 5 pieces.  Online I find this engine has problems,  rods breaking, oiling in general.  Looked up parts.  Priced things, rod, piston, rings, gaskets.   Rod is aluminum, so didnt hurt the cast iron block.  But decided  not to throw money into a 40 years old problem engine.  Ordered a HF Predator V twin 670cc.   Measrements tell me it  may be a good fit.  Lots cheaper than the Honda some folks are using.  Got the time right now,  see how it goes.  Anybody do  engine swaps on garden  tractors?

Offline oldnslo

Re: John Deere 400 rider
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 07:00:09 PM »
Anybody do engine swaps on garden  tractors?

Just folks with time on their hands, or someone looking to race lawn mowers if you were to sell. Those are the demographics I think of.

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 08:08:08 AM »
When it comes to large frame JD lawn mowers with gas engines I wouldn't touch one unless it has a Kawasaki engine. Great engine capable of 2,000 hours trouble free with maintenance.

Most of the HF engines seem to be carbon copy's of hondas. I know several people who have repowered stuff with HF fondas (fake honda=fonda) and seem happy. Make sure you keep the old engine handy for any connection parts you might need and all motor accessories.

The 400 is a great machine, just getting old and I dont think JD carries a full parts line anymore. My neighbor has a 425 with the diesel in it with close to 3,500 hrs on it, thats a lot of grass.

Online john k

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 08:53:55 PM »
Am retired, so working right along with the engine swap.  Rear mount was the most trouble.  The Predator engine is over 2.5 inches shorter that the Kohler,  so there is room to juggle things.  Lengthened the driveshaft.  The engine is bolted down for good.  Hope to be done next week.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:23:09 PM by john k »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »
The HF Predator engines are pretty good. Theres even a cart series dedicated to racing them.