Author Topic: Looking for a new welder. Needing advice.  (Read 4645 times)

Offline ScoutDriver

Looking for a new welder. Needing advice.
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:51:19 PM »
Hey everybody.  Looking for some wisdom.   

For the last year or so, I've been considering adding another welder to my home shop.  My current welder is a Hobart 140, which I love and intend to keep even if I upgrade.  The 140 will weld 1/4" steel (I've done 5/16" with good results), but I'd like something that will weld 3/8" or maybe up to 1/2" steel on occasion. 

At work I use a Miller Multimatic 220 AC/DC Multiprocess.  Its a great machine, but I don't really need TIG at home, and I don't want to spend $3000 on a welder either. 

On my radar right now are the HTP Mig 2400,  the ESAB Rebel 235 MIG only machine and the Hobart 230.  It's looking like a new, Hobart 240 may be available soon??  Used welders around here tend to have asking prices that make them an unattractive option.

Anyhow, let me know what you guys think.  I'm open to any color or brand at this point and I would consider a multiprocess at the right price.  Thanks!!!

Scott

Offline muddy

Re: Looking for a new welder. Needing advice.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 09:28:37 PM »
Hey Scott good to hear from you!

I'm far from a welding expert, but here is my two cents

If you already have a solid stick welder I would go with the HTP it'll be  a nice mig machine.

If you don't have a stick machine I'd go with the ESAB  to have the best of both.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:41:17 PM »
Thanks Muddy!  Hope all is well with you and yours!

The HTP and the ESAB are the ones I'm most torn between right now.  You have given me some great food for thought.

Scott

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:18:12 PM »
All sticks on everything in our shop.  A big Miller triphase  does most everything.

Personally I had good luck with a small inverter type that fit in a small blow mold case too.  We did 3/8 with that too, even if we probably shouldn't have.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:16:48 AM »
The good news is that good multi-process machines are getting very affordable. The bad news is that there are so many, it's hard to find the right combination of quality, price, and function. The "big gorilla" in the room is that most all of the multi-process machines (good and bad) are Chinese imports, or mostly assembled with Chinese components.

I don't have a lot of experience with all the new brands, but have had actual seat time in some Everlast multi-process machines -- and compared them to similar Blue and Red offerings. I can highly recommend Everlast as an alternative to Milller/Lincoln. At the same price point the Everlast machines usually have much better features and capabilities. The service and support is also very good in the US -- and I see more of these green machines in professional shops these days.

Good luck with your search Scott 

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »
Goodfellow....some good advice from you!  The Everlast machines have some impressive features.  I'm liking the pulse MIG and some of the fine tuning ability of them.  The post-flow intrigues me as well.

Scott

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 10:26:12 PM »
why don't you buy my lightly used  miller autoset 211 so i can by 215. :P
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline GNAP

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 11:51:25 AM »
Somewhere in the myriad of crap, I have a Millermatic 175, you could buy, so I could buy another Millermatic 350P................ :))
jack

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 06:28:12 PM »
https://www.weldersupply.com/P/2496/ESABREBELEMP235ICMIGSTICKTIGWELDERWITHCART0558012704
https://www.weldersupply.com/P/2081/ESABREBELEM235ICMIGWELDER0558012700
https://www.usaweld.com/MIG-2400-Welding-Package-p/602400-24.htm
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-ironman-230-mig-welder
You didn't really state a budget but looking at the three machines you mention I'm guessing $1500-3000 or so.

I like that esab setup with the big wheeled cart and such for a few bux more. and the $200 or so so be able to do tig seems like a no brainer to me. But I'm not the one laying out the coin here.

I'm guessing you have the setup or the budget in mind to upgrade the electrical to run a 240v setup. Also the cylinder(s) to run it as a mig. All adds up to more money if not.

Looks like the Hobart is the least expensive of your stated choices but it probably has the least features. If you just want to do thicker metal on the least coin, that is probably the way to go but it seems like a lot when for half agin more you can do tig and have a nicer cart.

I just make due with my little 120v flux core setup. If bigger needs arise out comes the buzz box. Im still learning on the tig machine I bought end of last year but I have the 240v ready to go now and am hoping it will work even better.
Rich

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 10:10:57 PM »
Thanks for all the great input!!  Much appreciated. 

Yesterday my wife and I stopped by the local welding supply place and looked at welders they had in stock.  After talking with them and looking at different machines, I may bite the bullet and buy a Lincoln Power MIG 260.  Don't be surprised if I post next Friday saying that I picked one up!

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K3520-1(LincolnElectric)

Thanks again!

Scott

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 08:56:24 PM »
Update!!!

Went to town today and made a purchase.  Even though it was over what I intended to spend, the Lincoln Power MIG 260 had great reviews, would have more than enough power for my needs and has some features that I'm looking forward to trying first hand. 

I'll leave a review after I get a chance to run some beads with it!

Scott

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »
Good looking machine and you have that new welder smell in your shop. I look forward to your review.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
Looks like a machine you can grow into, rather than out of. Very nice purchase -- looking forward to the review.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »
nice! a new metal glue gun!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 08:29:58 PM »
Nice unit!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »
Lincoln Power is a good solid brand name, should serve you very well.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »
Nice work Scott, you sure don`t muck around.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?