Author Topic: A late night can't sleep impulse purchase  (Read 7726 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

A late night can't sleep impulse purchase
« on: August 08, 2020, 04:30:28 AM »
I was browsing Ebay last night and ended up buying a snapon party box  :-\
And at $72 I probably payed too much too.

I'm hoping the box will work for my 1/4 general purpose kit that has outgrown the mac MC1, but I'll know when I get it.
Probably end up giving the cards and poker chips to my uncle or something,  I really just wanted the box.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:34:01 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: A late night can't sleep impulse purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »
I've been looking into the party box a bit more and I'm really starting to think that this was a good purchase that should work well for my 1/4dr kit.
I'm sure the price wasn't all that great, but the box itself should be great.

Of course my wheels are just spinning here and I still won't know till I get it and experiment a bit. Theres a good deal that needs to go into it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 03:39:44 PM »
Got it and I'm blown away, it's much more of a usable size than I really expected.
I just really wanted it to be something that I figured it probably wouldn't end up being,  but of course curiosity got the better of me and this time it payed off.
I peeled the party box label off ( actually came off cleanly,  good job snapon) and took out all the poker stuff and other game supplies.
The cards are cool, but besides the pencil and notepad nothing else says snapon on it, the poker chips are very chintzy, some were cracked,  and I have better ones, so those will just meet their fate as airgun targets.
The cards I may gift to someone who collects snapon tools.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:46:52 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 03:50:05 PM »
I've still got stuff to add, for now I'll put the rest if the Craftsman sockets that wouldn't fit in the Mac mc1 but I've got some regular WRIGHT sae and metrics on the way and maybe next week I'll order the deep wells.
Theres definitely room in the socket drawer for a complete set of standard and deeps.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »
Thats a cool little box. Dont know how well it will hold up to heavy usage but its a nice size and layout for sure. Very cool :bravo_2:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »
Thats a cool little box. Dont know how well it will hold up to heavy usage but its a nice size and layout for sure. Very cool :bravo_2:
Seems constructed pretty sturdily to me, maybe I don't know a real solid box but I definitely know a flimsy one.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 05:37:10 PM »
I have the same box I snagged at the swap but without the gear. The chips may not be original to the box - I believe they were marked SO.

Looks good filled with the tools.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
Keep that nice box away from the Fatman he's got a thing for destroying hip roof boxes....

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 06:35:12 PM »
I have the same box I snagged at the swap but without the gear. The chips may not be original to the box - I believe they were marked SO.

Looks good filled with the tools.
There are a number of unbranded replacement chips in the set, but I believe the rest which are Branded HOYLE are original because that's who manufactured the snapon playing cards.
either way they are not special in any way and I've already been shooting at them.
This box definitely is a cool one and I no longer have to want a rare KRA149 which I'll never own.

Tomorrow I'll bring the rest of my Craftsman 1/4 sockets home from work and play with figuring out what all this'll hold.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »
Keep that nice box away from the Fatman he's got a thing for destroying hip roof boxes....

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
I just tossed my dads old hip roof box away last year.
Found it shoved in a box of junk up in the rafters of the garage,  and let's just say it was no longer what could be considered a box anymore.
I don't know if it fell out of the back of the old C10 he had, got ran over, or fell off the roof but it was toast.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »
sweeet

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 09:35:01 PM »
sweeet
Just wait till I break out the spongebob stickers and really make it pop   :))

Seriously though when I'm done filling it I hope to have the ultimate 1/4dr kit, the idea is a real inclusive 1/4 dr set plus the other small tools commonly needed when working in 1/4dr territory.
My previous iteration in the mac MC1 box was pretty good but couldn't include all of the sockets and was cramped enough that I had to put everything back in just right when I was done.
This will hold just a few more things but do it more comfortably.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:37:06 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 10:04:56 PM »
Once everything comes in this kit will have 21 regular sockets and 18 deep wells in both metric and sae for each, so while I need a way to keep the sockets neatly organized and where I put them I also needed something low profile to allow all these sockets to fit in this drawer.
I'm still not sure the deeps will all fit in one row, I measured and if they do fit it'll really be cutting it close.

I thought about it for a bit then I remembered these long magnet strips I got from work which I had stuck to the freezer.

Placed In one strip then the placeholder metric sockets, another strip then the SAE's, and another strip then the deeps.

It seems to be a pretty effective simple solution, it holds the sockets in place well but it's not strong enough to make the little ones hard to remove.
I'd rather just have metal dividers, but this seems like it's gonna prove to work just as well.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 01:23:22 PM »
The original top handle was little more than decorative,  so I made a new one I can actually grab it by.
Just a piece of scrap steel shaped then painted with hammer tone gunmetal grey because it's what I had and it hides the rough surface of the piece I used.
And I just happened to have 2 little carriage bolts which worked out perfectly.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »
It looks like that box is doing the job you wanted it for. Nice job on the handle and good work on the paint.