Author Topic: FIL's old tool find --  (Read 10638 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
FIL's old tool find --
« on: August 23, 2018, 08:59:01 PM »
My FIL was a mechanic for over 60 years and truly one of the best guys you ever want to meet. He had a basic 10 drawer Craftsman chest sitting on a 5 drawer Craftsman roller. He worked his whole life with a very humble tool set. He passed about 20 years ago, but every now and then when we help the MIL do some spring cleaning I find a few tool stashes that he had around the attic or basement.

Found a nice set of RAC gauges Craftsman ratchets, Powr-Kraft 3/8" breaker, a no-name 1/2" universal joint, and a nice 12v Snap-on test light. RAC was a homeowner grade automotive tool company that supplied budget priced chargers, gauges, and tune-up equipment to department stores and auto parts stores back in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:02:09 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

Re: FIL's old tool find --
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:03:21 PM »
Great find with great sentimental value!

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:12:42 PM »
Great to find good stuff stashed away like that.  Got my FILs tools,  mostly Taiwan.  Your FIL had a large set for the day,  lots of guys worked out of miserable little 3 drawers. 

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »
Good stuff, especially those old Craftsman ratchets.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 10:47:12 PM »
I had that exact tester gauge when I was in my early 20's. And I've got a similar test light now.

And yes, those C-man ratchets are sweet. 8)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
I think I have that exact RAC gage stowed in one of my boxes somewhere.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
I think I have that exact RAC gage stowed in one of my boxes somewhere.

They were quite common in the 70's. You could buy RAC tune-up sets at drug stores and auto parts outlets. They were US made and pretty good quality for low end testing equipment.

RAC is best known for their battery chargers -- great value and very durable products. I usually buy them when I see them cheap on ebay or garage sales. The 6/2Amp unit I bought new in the mid 1970's and the 10Amp unit was picked up a few years ago at a yard sale - in the box and hardly used. They are definitely better than many of the cheap Chinese chargers being sold these days