Author Topic: Reorganization  (Read 7574 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Reorganization
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 09:12:57 PM »
Both Snap-on and Matco make mid length. I believe Mac does to but I don't have a dealer to confirm this.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »
SO still makes mid lengths.

UB, I thought about you and Cman middies a while back.  I got a full set of 3/8 SAE cman mids in a box lot a while back.  First time I ever got a complete set.  Rarely see them in Cman.  I am thinking it was you years ago that introduced me to them.  Haven't decided whether to sell them or keep them :))

About the last 10-15 years that Sears was still an option for new tools I used to pay close attention to anything new in their catalogs that was specialty or unusual. Previous experience with Sears tools taught me that if something a little offbeat for Sears like the mid length sets showed up in their tool lineup and I wanted them I tried to buy them son sfter seeing them because chances were, those tools would disappear after maybe a year. Sure enough that was what happened with the mid deep sets.

I miss getting the Craftsman catalogs every year. For me, their old USA made tools were the cornerstone of my tools. Odd stuff they did not sell I found elsewhere, but literally, I really knew what was in their tool catalogs almost front to back. I would not care anymore though as once they off shored their tool line I stopped buying Craftsman tools.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »
I missed out on the Craftsman mid-length sets many years ago, but when I started to work more in confined vehicle engine compartments I realized that a metric set was needed. Gearwrench makes a very complete and reasonably priced set. It's an import, but the quality is there and the chrome is flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00829RMAM?tag=pixmatrix96396-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:01:12 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 10:13:20 PM »
I have that Gearwrench set and it is nice.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 10:29:10 AM »
Both Snap-on and Matco make mid length. I believe Mac does to but I don't have a dealer to confirm this.

Tim, -- would you know if the MATCO set is made in the US, or is an import?

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »

My set is USA made. I believe they still are, but I'd have to check to be double sure as I bought mine quite a few years ago.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »

My set is USA made. I believe they still are, but I'd have to check to be double sure as I bought mine quite a few years ago.

Thanks -- that probably was during the Danaher years then. These days Apex Group is global and they probably source from everywhere.

Offline BossH0G

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »
Yes MAC does have semi deep and so does Gear Wrench, your best bang for the buck is Gear Wrench because Apex tool group is now owned by Bain capital which is strictly an investment company and Apex tool group own's Matco, Lisle, KD, Gear Wrench, Sunex and OTC and the afore mentioned are all made in Taiwan and rebranded for Matco.   :hee20hee20hee:

Offline Rickster

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 04:28:39 PM »
I have an old set of Craftsman semi-deep metric sockets that have served me well.  I recently added a Gearwrench set of SAE semi-deeps that are working out quite nicely.