Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 217552 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2018, 09:42:41 PM »
Great stuff Cruiser and J.A.F.E. and I think I recognize that long Plomb 1/4 extension.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2018, 10:04:07 PM »
Here's my hodgpodge 1/4" set

The case / tray is the top to an index card file I picked up for 50¢, it happened to be an absolutely perfect fit for the tray for my toolbox so all I had to do was make some quick deviders.

The G code Craftsman metric sockets are the only thing that wouldn't quality as vintage.
The indestro ratchet and sockets should, as should the V code Craftsman sliding T and the circle V Craftsman spinner handle.
If the spinner handle looks a bit strange it's because I compacted it to fit in the case, I removed the handle drilled in deeper and reassembled.
very nice useable set you got there.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2018, 10:28:05 PM »
... I think I recognize that long Plomb 1/4 extension.

I believe you are correct.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2018, 10:29:16 PM »
Some very nice sets being posted. That krinkle red Plomb box is one of the nicest I’ve seen. The label even looks fresh.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2018, 10:43:43 PM »
New Britain

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:48:53 PM by CRTDI »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2018, 10:54:48 PM »
Thanks for the info Cruiser.

Both of the red Plombs came from the Old Tool Swap in Culver City although a long time apart.

CRTDI that New Britain set is really nice. Where's the thumbs up smiley when we need it?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2018, 11:13:21 PM »
Another New Britain manufactured 1/4" set.  (New Britain seemed to have made 1/4” drive sets for a bunch of different companies

Husky

Still looking for the correct style ratchet. This one is a Duro Chrome.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2018, 11:14:32 PM »
Awesome set, CRTDI. Any idea on the date of manufacture?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2018, 11:19:06 PM »
That is a nice set. Do you have a pic of the correct ratchet? Is it the same as in post 24?

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2018, 11:32:47 PM »
Cruiser and JAFE, I’m not sure of the actual date period of this set. I’m guessing around mid to late 70s.

No pic, but also guessing that the ratchet should be the same as yours JAFE.  Any thoughts on the age of your set?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2018, 12:42:42 AM »
Just as a WAG I am thinking mine is early 60's. One reason is the card lists "New Britain Machine Co, New Britain, Conn". ZIP codes along with two letter state abbreviations came in in 1963 so I'm thinking that would be the cutoff for the earlier style address. The Kilness patent was late 50's but wasn't made till 60 or so it had to be between those dates in my logic.

Yours is similar but lists USA on the label and the company is Husky Tool Division so maybe a bit later. But the label looks like foil which says more 70's and disco look even though there is no ZIP and two letter state abbreviation so I'm sort of floundering.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »

The case / tray is the top to an index card file I picked up for 50¢, it happened to be an absolutely perfect fit for the tray for my toolbox so all I had to do was make some quick deviders.

The G code Craftsman metric sockets are the only thing that wouldn't quality as vintage.
The indestro ratchet and sockets should, as should the V code Craftsman sliding T and the circle V Craftsman spinner handle.
If the spinner handle looks a bit strange it's because I compacted it to fit in the case, I removed the handle drilled in deeper and reassembled.
Thanks.

Btw some really awesome sets are being posted, and the boxes alone are making me envious.
I don't know why but I really want my set to be in a nice professional looking box with a top so I can close it up if I ever need to take just it along.
I've got something but it's from a crappy 80's western auto JAPAN set I was given as a kid .
It's also got rounded corners making it not so easy to make dividers for.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »

Thanks.

Btw some really awesome sets are being posted, and the boxes alone are making me envious.
I don't know why but I really want my set to be in a nice professional looking box with a top so I can close it up if I ever need to take just it along.
I've got something but it's from a crappy 80's western auto JAPAN set I was given as a kid .

Do this, start looking around at flea mkts and second hand shops and pawn shops for a 1/4" set box. Every so often they pop up. Transfer your set contents into any brand of commercial box and honestly, your set will look no different than any of the others posted here. Certainly your set will do everything any of the sets shown will do. The only thing that looks different to me is the box. Get a different box and you will see what I mean. Your set will look just like every other set in this thread.  ;)

Sometimes it is amazing the difference you will feel about a set simply due to how it is stored.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2018, 02:20:21 PM »
Hick, if you have some basic tools like a tin snips, sharp pointy scribe, straight edge like item, block of wood and wp pliers you can MAKE  a box to your own design.

Oh, a hammer and tape measure are useful too.

You will need those tools and a bit of tin to practice on then the one adequate to make your tin.

I am not big on precise but I can and did make lots of tins barely measuring stuff.  Six of them are in the shop owned by my current boss.  Solid as a brick in the better ones.

If you want a step by step pictorial guide scrape up some old tin and prepare the tools, then say go. 

I am prepared now.

Note I did not say press break and Beverely shear which would make it easier but it would be a 5 grand socket tin to tool up.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2018, 02:44:20 PM »

Thanks.

Do this, start looking around at flea mkts and second hand shops and pawn shops for a 1/4" set box. Every so often they pop up. Transfer your set contents into any brand of commercial box and honestly, your set will look no different than any of the others posted here. Certainly your set will do everything any of the sets shown will do. The only thing that looks different to me is the box. Get a different box and you will see what I mean. Your set will look just like every other set in this thread.  ;)

Sometimes it is amazing the difference you will feel about a set simply due to how it is stored.
It took me enough looking to eventually find that index card box I made this from, but that was when just the ratchet and sockets were my goal.
I'll definitely keep looking and eventually find something I hope.
This is the kind of box I want.

( I've seen similar sets in this box for $25, but its too bad they don't sell just the box for $5 )
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:09:06 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn