Author Topic: Post up your compressor(s) -  (Read 19954 times)

Offline Brophy

• Stupid Hippie
Re: Post up your compressor(s) -
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
Here's mine...

Never heard of the brand before but it seems to be a good compressor.

The 5hp Baldor motor sure sucks the hydro when it is cold...I have to shut off everything else in the shop and open the relief valve on the head when it first starts up in anything but the dead of summer.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 01:06:29 AM »
Ran across this Internet picture while searching for some vintage Sears compressor parts. It's a vintage 1960's (early 70's) 1HP 12 Gal. compressor that ran on either 120 or 220 volt circuits. My grandfather and dad were gearheads and they worked together all through the post war era and into the early 1960's fixing and working on cars. But it was this little compressor that they saved their money for -- within less than six months they bought one in the mid-1960's and they used it to rebuild and paint many cars. I was always amazing at the productivity that those two guys could muster with only a small 12 gal. compressor. Air tools, paint guns, and compressors were very expensive at that time, and that little unit powered through a lot of cars.

These days most of us have much larger compressors in our shops, but in those days this was as good as it got for the average DIY guy.

I have that exact compressor.  As well as my Dayton for mobile compressors.
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 08:48:48 PM »
Here's mine didn't work (pump) when I paid $60 for it. A $20 piston ring and gasket set later and she does the job!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »
Is that an oil-less compressor Tim?

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 06:47:48 AM »
Is that an oil-less compressor Tim?
Yes it is.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 07:37:06 AM »

... a 2HP 30 gal vertical tandem twin Kobalt that runs the small machine shop next door to the garage,

Do you like this compressor? I was looking at a similar unit only it is on a 60gal tank and labeled husky. I see 4 of them are going through an auction this weekend locally, they look like they would be noisy. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 07:58:27 AM »
I like it a lot -- mainly for one reason. It runs on a 20A 120V circuit all day long without tripping a breaker. It doesn't produce more noise than any other twin cylinder, but the fan shroud is all metal and it echoes the pump noise. Were it plastic, it would be much more quiet. The unit pumps up to 150psi factory setting -- which is remarkable for a small single stage unit. I've even used it for my blast cabinet when my main compressor was down with a broken fan belt.

The only real issue I have is with the cheap tires -- they deflate over the course of a month and need to be pumped up regularly. In my case the thing sits stationary most of the time, but before moving it I usually have to pump the tires up. -- an annoyance, but I can live with it. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:01:24 AM by goodfellow »

Offline highland512

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
This is the compressor I looked at. They have 4ea of them that where floor models from HD.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 11:36:56 AM »
This is the compressor I looked at. They have 4ea of them that where floor models from HD.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

I think the OEM is Campbell Hausfeld on those units and they are a good homeowner grade setup.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
Here's mine...

Never heard of the brand before but it seems to be a good compressor.

The 5hp Baldor motor sure sucks the hydro when it is cold...I have to shut off everything else in the shop and open the relief valve on the head when it first starts up in anything but the dead of summer.

THAT is about as good as it gets in "compressor land" Brophy. Saylor-Beall was at the top of the heap at one point in time. Their stuff is legendary.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »
Elroy is pleased to post up a few pics of his IR two stage

along with his recently installed roof mounted "hose reel"

Offline Elroy

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 06:45:20 PM »
Have no idea how the welder ended up in there

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 07:13:01 PM »
Very nice Elroy -- that is a slick setup. Two-stage is the way to go if you can afford it.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 07:39:47 PM »
Very nice Elroy -- that is a slick setup. Two-stage is the way to go if you can afford it.

Thank you kindly. Elroy can assure you, he is a one lucky boy to have accumulated what he has to this point. Elroy purchased that 60 Gallon IR from Sears about 15 years ago for less than a Grand. As Elroy is sure you're aware, a two stage takes substantially more today.

You'll notice the belt guard is missing.Elroy removed the belt guard about 10 year ago when he relocated and has not taken the effort to reinstall the guard. The pump has limited access when it's shoved in the corner. Other projects have simply taken precedent. Maybe someday Elroy will reinstall the belt guard as that would empty some of the storage shelves. At this point, no belt guard is a non-issue for Elroy. Just keep your hands away and it works just fine at 175 psi. That two stage pressure helps a lot when pushing air a 100 foot outside through 3/8 line.