Author Topic: Jeeps as Tractors  (Read 2253 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:42:37 PM by gtermini »

Offline john k

Re: Jeeps as Tractors
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 09:26:05 PM »
Always found it mind bogglingthe number of attachments hung on the CJ Series Jeeps.  The video wouldnt load for me.   But have replaced my share of the tiny clutch plates used in them.  I can remember when every gas station had one mounted with a snow blade and the havoc of using it too hard did to the driveline.  The transmission in the 4 cylinder models was chosen in WWII for its light weight, still it held up to all kinds of abuse.  Using a JEEP to pull a plow makes me cringe,  runnng a PTO shaft was more its speed.  Amazing in this age of diesel 4x4s that the little JEEP has lasted so well.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 11:51:04 PM »
I edited the post to get the video address to show up. Hopefully it'll show for you.

I have a 63 scout 80 with the same wimpy little trans and t case. The small Dana 27 axles have pencil sized axle shafts. I think everything would almost hold up since the HP was low. These attachments seem more like gimmicks than real work tools to me, but I know anything beat doing things the "armstrong" way back then.

My dad had a 54 GMC half ton in the early 70s he got in Nebraska when his VW blew up on a cross country trip. Said it had a PTO side and rear mounted and galvanized extensions for hauling corn and running an auger. He was just a dumb city kid back then and said it looked pretty out of place when he got to his folks place on the outskirts of DC.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »
My brother had a '76 Landcruiser when we were in high school in the '80s and he swapped the l6 for a built 305 small block. All of us thought it was badass. A few years later he ended up putting an 8" crack in the (stock) tranny. It just wasn't built for that kind of power or torque. Looking back, we were kids who didn't have any idea what we were actually doing, just had access to an Advance Adapters kit and went from there.

It's amazing that thing was able to handle it for as long as it did.