Author Topic: Miscellaneous stuff in a tool box.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline john k

Miscellaneous stuff in a tool box.
« on: January 21, 2021, 10:46:13 PM »
Bought a small very dirty tool box recently.  Finally dug into it, been waiting because the weather has been so cold.  Some Lectrolite wrenches, curved starter wrench,  unused Thorsen 3/8 ratchet, and a very stiff S-K ratchet.  Seems I already have some Lectrolite combo wrenches.  Got to stop buying this stuff.  Right.

Offline Midnitemack

Re: Miscellaneous stuff in a tool box.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:47:22 PM »
Nah John , that’s all part of the addiction, with those usually amongst the turds there will be usually be some treasure !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 12:33:27 AM »
Yep, finding the treasure among the turds is what makes us stop at that last table at the dirt market and spend fifteen minutes sifting through filthy tools!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 06:22:08 AM »
The other Lectrolite wrenches,  never ran across the combo style before.   Just wasnt sold in the hardware stores near me.

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 07:28:34 AM »
I like the stamping on the SK ratchet, never seen one quite like that. Im guessing 50's production :sign0144:

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »
So the treasure when you find it like that how does everyone treat it if they want to give it some love  ? 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »
So the treasure when you find it like that how does everyone treat it if they want to give it some love  ? 

If the rust is not heavy I soak it in a container of Evaporust after using a brass brush or brass wire wheel to knock off most of the rust. If heavy rust and chrome damage it may get the steel wire wheel treatment. If the tool turns a little black after ER treatment a brass brush will remove it.

A word of caution on wire wheeling is to be sure the tool is not cadmium coated as you don't want to breathe that dust. I bought a Plomb wrench one day that was totally red in color. I brass brushed it a little and stopped when it didn't look like plain steel or chrome. I put it in the ER and it turned out to be a WWII production cadmium wrench in perfect shape.

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 04:22:27 PM »
Wire brush,brass brush, wire wheel.   Steel wool in oo and ooo grade.  Real rusty, soak in vinegar one or two days.  Dremel  with wire wheel to get into the details, but that to be a pretty special tool.   Soak ratchets, and adjustable wrenches in WD, tranny fluid, got a little can of ATF on the bench.  Got a big torch and little torch if things need persuading.   Put a carport on the front of the garage, so I can work outside but out of the wind and summer sun.  Hung up a few tools, but mostly I make things to be used, pretty , doesnt make tools work any better, for me anyways. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:24:35 PM by john k »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 08:55:36 AM »
Yep, finding the treasure among the turds is what makes us stop at that last table at the dirt market and spend fifteen minutes sifting through filthy tools!   :))

If you want diamonds you gotta first dig in the dirt! :93: