Author Topic: Steel Costs  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Elroy

Steel Costs
« on: March 18, 2021, 04:47:19 PM »
Have any of you guys purchased any steel lately?

How do you like the prices ?  :41:

Current prices are flat out "stupid high". Prices have more than doubled in the last 6 months  :91:  :a102:

Have you experienced the "sting"

Offline walrus

Re: Steel Costs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 06:15:18 PM »
 1 stick(10ft) of 3/4 rigid conduit costs me 30 bucks, was 20 bucks , 3/4 pvc has gone from 27 a hundred to 75 a hundred. I use thousands of feet a year.
 N
Many common electrical parts are simply not available. For example nail on Boxes, go to home depot and look at there section of PVC boxes, empty.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:17:37 PM by walrus »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 06:31:26 PM »
I was looking at some sticks in the racks at TSC and HD and wish I had bought them last year as the prices have jumped. The wife is always talking about how stupid the prices have gotten on the materials they need to operate. And of course the customers don't like how the prices to do the work have risen but the repair work has to be done.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
Been seeing prices jump on ALOT of stuff I buy every week. Somethings going on.
I'm thinking I should go grab an oil change or two worth of motor oil and filters just in case the lube place I've been going to gets hit with a shortage. Picking up alot of items just because I'm beginning to think of what may happen tomorrow.

I still have quite a bit of stock from closing my business 5 years ago. Copper, parts, PVC, glue, solder, etc. Couldn't give it away, and I wasn't going to throw it out. Then my stash of facemasks, hand sanitizer, and nitrile gloves paid off when COVID first hit. I'm thinking now maybe it was a blessing for the biz to go under?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:50:48 PM by bonneyman »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 08:19:36 PM »
Bought a couple of conex boxes a while back with the intention of putting a roof over them this summer. Already have the pipe and some of the purlins but hate to see what galvalumes going for.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 10:18:46 PM »
Even before the COVID craze I found myself grabbing whatever little tid-bits I could find at estate sales and thrift stores just to have them. Tangibles are where it's at for me. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

But I find with owning a home eventually you'll need it. Or so I tell the Mrs.  ;)

Offline walrus

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 03:57:00 AM »
Bought a couple of conex boxes a while back with the intention of putting a roof over them this summer. Already have the pipe and some of the purlins but hate to see what galvalumes going for.
Roofers I know were bitching earlier this winter as suppliers were telling them metal roofing won't be easy to get this spring and to order now. When they tried to order they were told they could only get a % or there order. Electrical house will usually hold quoted prices for 30 days, they won't hold PVC prices for more than a day. Prices sometime change twice a day.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 09:43:01 AM »
I released the balance of rebar for a project days before the mass shutdowns started last year. That same order would have cost us almost a million more if I had waited until we needed it(now). I think what we are seeing now is the chickens coming home to roost in the supply chain after the shutdowns and business preparing for the tax increases that are coming via politics and all of this "free" money being spread around. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 10:32:46 AM »
My latest visit to the Ace Hardware store I used to work out revealed that they are only getting about 60% of their order each week. Being most everything in the store is Chinese-made it's not hard to see why.

I noticed quite a few areas of the store that are empty/no longer used or low inventory. And prices have gone up, too.