Author Topic: 3 choppers and a plinker.  (Read 2896 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

3 choppers and a plinker.
« on: March 27, 2021, 09:26:13 PM »

Late Collins- early Mann homestead ( late 60's )

Later Mann Collins homestead ( 70's )

Swedish wetterlings or GB (60's-70's )

High standard  Sears JC higgens model 29 ( I believe 50's )

My uncle always has people dumping tools and such on him, and he saved these for me.
One of the axes will be rehabbed and go back to him as a thank you.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 09:28:18 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

Re: 3 choppers and a plinker.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »
Nobody dumps old tools on me,very often anyway.  Those axes got good possibilities, cant figure out why good quality tools like these get left in the weather,  that one even has the label on it. That .22 looks great too, a keeper.

Offline ron350

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 12:40:44 AM »
Nice haul.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 02:34:09 AM »
I think 1955 to 1960 is the usually quoted timeframe
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 04:03:02 AM »
Nobody dumps old tools on me,very often anyway.  Those axes got good possibilities, cant figure out why good quality tools like these get left in the weather,  that one even has the label on it. That .22 looks great too, a keeper.
It needs a few parts, but numrich Carrie's them so it can definitely be fixed.
So far I've identified that I needs an extractor , hammer spring, hammer spring guide, sear spring,  and disconnector.
It may or may not also need the lifter spring.

The wood has some nice grain to it, but I'm not sure I wanna go too crazy with a refinish.
Probably just a good cleaning with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits to get some mung off, then I'll see where I'm at.
The metal may be my first foray into bluing, so I'll have to decide how much time I want to Invest overall if I can get it going as I hope.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 09:56:38 AM »
Those little guns are a fun project but a lot of the later firearms used a alloy receiver. I redid a 410 for my brother a while back and a friend and i dabbled in cerakoteing the receiver. it came out ok but we learned from the mistakes. next time it will be better.

Most of those have very little value so you can tinker all you want with out trashing a true relic. good learning platform.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 10:58:51 AM »
Those little guns are a fun project but a lot of the later firearms used a alloy receiver. I redid a 410 for my brother a while back and a friend and i dabbled in cerakoteing the receiver. it came out ok but we learned from the mistakes. next time it will be better.

Most of those have very little value so you can tinker all you want with out trashing a true relic. good learning platform.
Apparently this Is a desirable model with a good reputation.
Not particularly valuable but they do have a following.

Currently numrich is OOS on the hammer spring and spring guide, but they have every other missing part I have identified.
I'll have to do a more complete strip later and determine exactly what all it needs.

Before I even buy any parts I have to see if I can get the ejector issue sorted out.
The dovetail it sits in inside the receiver is a bit buggered up and it keeps sliding down stopping the bolt up.
I believe the buggered up dovetail is the problem,  but before I mess with that I need to make sure one of the missing parts isn't actually supposed to keep it in place .
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 07:20:33 AM »
I must tell you I read the title and was thinking. 3 tommy guns & a 22 ..........LMAO

........... good one ........ 50/50 chance
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:22:45 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:30:02 AM »
I must tell you I read the title and was thinking. 3 tommy guns & a 22 ..........LMAO

........... good one ........ 50/50 chance
If only I had 3 Thompsons.
I used to have 3 mini Thompson squirt guns when I was a kid though.
Always lookin' to learn