Author Topic: Fire smell removal?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline ron350

Fire smell removal?
« on: April 16, 2021, 12:08:12 PM »
The outside wall of my utility room was on fire last week and stunk up the inside of the utility room.

Any one have any tips on how to reduce the nasty burnt smell?

Offline fatfillup

Re: Fire smell removal?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 01:33:05 PM »
Ozone generator may work.  Used to sell them and they did a great job with cigarette smoke. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 04:31:48 PM »
I used a product called X-O neutralizer to deodorize coils, ducts, and fabrics of all kinds of odors, including smoke.

https://www.nixalite.com/product/x-o-odor-neutralizer

Offline walrus

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 05:33:34 PM »
paint, killz

Offline ron350

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 06:04:54 PM »
Thanks for the help, that X-O neutralizer sounds like what I need.

The inside of the utility room will be painted with Killz once the repairs are completed. With all of the tornado damage in the county it will probably be a while before I can find a contractor of any kind.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 09:36:34 AM »
paint, killz

X2 on the Killz primer and paint. My brother had a rent house the tenants caught on fire and that sure helped it.
Rich

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 07:38:35 PM »
Thanks for the help, that X-O neutralizer sounds like what I need.

The inside of the utility room will be painted with Killz once the repairs are completed. With all of the tornado damage in the county it will probably be a while before I can find a contractor of any kind.

Good thing about X-O is it's water-based, concentrated, and works well. Easy to dilute in whatever strength you need for various jobs. Citrus derived, so if you don't mind orange aroma you're good to go.  Bad thing is it's pricey.

Offline ron350

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 04:37:16 PM »
Speaking of Killz which version is for covering up smoke smell in a utility room?

Home Depot has several versions of Killz and the guy at the paint counter does not have a clue.

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 04:12:40 AM »
Speaking of Killz which version is for covering up smoke smell in a utility room?

Home Depot has several versions of Killz and the guy at the paint counter does not have a clue.
Oil based

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 08:54:16 AM »

Walrus is right as the latex won't do it. Most of the paint counter paint mixers know how to push buttons to mix paint but I don't ask them for advice.

Offline john k

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 02:38:36 PM »
Just saw a new to me method to remove smoke smell.  On This Old House, same problem,smoke.  Contractor  cleared it by blasting the surfaces with dry ice pellets.  Pellets evaporate in seconds, smoke and soot turn into dust.  Just like sandblasting without the mess.  Probably not cheap, but sure looked effective.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »
Just saw a new to me method to remove smoke smell.  On This Old House, same problem,smoke.  Contractor  cleared it by blasting the surfaces with dry ice pellets.  Pellets evaporate in seconds, smoke and soot turn into dust.  Just like sandblasting without the mess.  Probably not cheap, but sure looked effective.

I saw where tried the dry ice blasting trying to get the old paint off of the inside of a WWII bomber and it was very slow but didn't harm the aluminum. It was very expensive though and paint is cheaper.