Author Topic: Didn't think they were worth it....  (Read 5772 times)

Offline muddy

Didn't think they were worth it....
« on: April 17, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »
Been keeping an eye out for a set of USA made wrench for the tool cart at home. I chased them up to $65. I can't believe they went this high. Are they that sought after now and I'm just cheap/out of touch?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-USA-19pc-Metric-Combination-Wrench-Set-6mm-to-24mm-VA-Matco-rack-/224419869402?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Didn't think they were worth it....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 08:07:36 PM »
The fact they are 18 metric wrenches is what drove the price up. The SAE's are going for good money but not as much.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 08:18:22 PM »
Yup - that's what they're going for; it's crazy. Saw a set of Craftsman Industrial polished metric wrenches go higher than that a few weeks ago. USA Craftsman hand tools are fetching some incredible prices these days. That said, I'm quite certain that they will continue to go up in price over the next year.

What's even more astonishing is that the old Cross Force sets are going for higher money, even though they were considered a market failure at the time.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 08:28:40 PM »
If I only had known! I could have bought tons of Craftsman tools and done better than my 401K!  :))

I, too, have been looking for a decent spare set of American chrome combo wrenches in metric. My Thorsen set is a bit patchy but only lacking the 16mm. Might just put a Bonney 16 in that spot and call it a day.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 08:58:36 PM »
May be time to start selling some of the whored. :c029:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 04:41:01 AM »
At $65 you were being too cheap but you should gave stopped at $100 or so with the same result :41:

Online oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 07:19:46 AM »
Yep, chasing those down back in the day at clearance price, and then flipping them much higher was quite fun. I'm not a fan of the polished wrench finish and prefer much more a satin finish, tho that didnt prevent me from keeping an SAE and metric extended set for my descendants.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 07:52:53 AM »
It is crazy, at a farm auction yesterday a Craftsman metric set of combination wrenches went for $180.00 and there were only 14 wrenches.  At the same time I bought a Craftsman "U" 3/8" drive socket set complete in the original box for $20.00.

Offline john k

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »
Was always impressed by the full matching sets, polished, shiny, just could never justify it for myself.  One advantage of having wildly mismatched wrenches is quick identification.  The 17mm is Bluepoint, one up is the 18mm Mac, no looking at sizes.   Standard set of 11 wrenches 3/8 - 1 inch is made up of 8 different brands, yes, my main set in the Snapon  box I used at work.  Craftsman, Proto, Mac, Snappy, Bonney, Vlchek, even a Fleet, New Britain, 2 Plombs,  at least 3 of the old J.A Pan corp tools.
 Bought some new, , many were used, pawn shops, garage sales, guess the old sign at the salvage yard held true, why buy new when used will do.  It is a used world, not getting any newer, my house is pre-owned, built in 1906, most of the cars have been used, did get a new pickup back in1986, if it works,,,,,use it. So if you can foot the bill, get the shiny stuff.   End of rant, my privilege, 70th. BD today.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
Happy BDay John. :dance:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 10:20:07 AM »
Happy Birthday John.  :happybirthday3:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »
Happy Birthday John!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »
Hope you had a good 70th, John!   :682:
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 07:33:10 PM »
Yeah, turning 70 entitles you to some griping.

Just don't gripe about me! :D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 11:23:36 PM »
 I went looking a couple years ago and the prices were through the roof, I ended up with a couple sets of Proamerica GOVT surplus,  and 2 small sets of USA Napa in metric and SAE.
Those have decent steel but poor chrome ( very late Danahar I believe) .
They're serviceable though and I definitely use them.

Now it seems the Craftsman wrenches are much more reasonable compared to what they were, but for some reason the Socket sets always seem pretty affordable and certainly much less than the wrench sets.

Btw there have been some nice Thorsen sets on Ebay for reasonable prices lately.

I almost bought a set of those nice ones you can also find branded for Dayton, the ones with the diamond like handle recesses.
Always lookin' to learn