Author Topic: Don't you just love NOS!  (Read 2944 times)

Offline bonneyman

Don't you just love NOS!
« on: April 21, 2021, 03:32:17 PM »
Found a pair of new in package ACE brand hacksaw blades, 24TPI. noticed the Made in USA on the blades, but then flipped it over and found it's 1998 stock. With recommended usage guide included!

That's one of the things I love about old products. They included useful info, use guides, antidote recommendation, and other facts that new products just have blank. Not bad for $2. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:35:19 PM by bonneyman »

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Don't you just love NOS!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:52:55 PM »
Good deal for USA made bi-metal blades. The old packaging had lots of good info on it as that shows. :great:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 06:32:48 PM »
Found a pair of new in package ACE brand hacksaw blades, 24TPI. noticed the Made in USA on the blades, but then flipped it over and found it's 1998 stock. With recommended usage guide included!

That's one of the things I love about old products. They included useful info, use guides, antidote recommendation, and other facts that new products just have blank. Not bad for $2. :)
Ace still sources blades from the US and England,  but they don't have the useful info printed on them I don't believe.
At least not the ones I bought a couple months ago.

Good deal, I pay about $12 today.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »
It's like this Pine Ammonia I got at a thrift store years ago. The label was still readable, so I grabbed some shots of it as I knew it would tear and disappear over time. Had antidote information on it! Who even thinks about that liability today?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 10:42:40 PM »
This crap they sell now is so weak/safe that it doesn't need and antidote. it also doesn't work.  :character0029:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
Haha, I sell a lot of soap every month and every once in a while someone will ask for a neutral cleaner. I always ask them if they want it to work too?  haha

Most of them cost twice as much and don't work well. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 03:23:41 PM »
List of old stand-by products that have changed and don't work like the old stuff.

WD-40
Preparation H
Sayman Salve (sunburn relief)
Supco 88 (lubricity enhancer)
Absorbine Jr.
Marvel Mystery Oil
Armor All protectant
Coleman Lantern mantles
Hoppes #9 Gun bore cleaner
Cascade Dishwasher detergent (old formula can still be bought commercially just not to residential consumers)
Limacol astringent
Most classic aftershaves
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:25:14 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 07:20:32 PM »
Never been a fan of armor all.

To add a few to the list

TSP
Chlorinated carb cleaner
Brakleen
Gunk
Westleys White Wall cleaner

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 10:08:17 PM »
To add a few to the list

TSP
Mcmaster sells real deal, commercial grade tsp that's way better than the laundry soap sold in the store

Brakleen
CRC 5086 is the good stuff with methanol and toluene. 5084 sold everywhere is the garden variety with mostly just acetone.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 10:52:50 PM »
To add a few to the list

TSP
Mcmaster sells real deal, commercial grade tsp that's way better than the laundry soap sold in the store

Brakleen
CRC 5086 is the good stuff with methanol and toluene. 5084 sold everywhere is the garden variety with mostly just acetone.

Thank you. Great it's still available.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 10:29:11 AM »
Yeah the chlorinated solvents were among the first to be reformulated, as the chlorine component is the "bad" ingredient that hurts the ozone. So chlorinated cleaners, freon's, and propellants were changed to chlorine-free chemicals. Which means they don't work as well and typically are not as stable.

The old Berryman's carb cleaner (I think it was called Chem-Dip) was so freaking powerful I remember it'd start burning the skin on your hand after a short time. But geez it would melt gunk off of carb parts! The new stuff you have to get a brush in there and scrub the parts clean.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:33:18 AM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 11:50:28 AM »
Yep that was the stuff.

Came in a metal can with a dip basket for parts.. The stuff would dry hands pretty quick but you are right it really worked.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »
I found this MSDS from 2015 - I think it's the old formula I'm used to. Contains methylene chloride - that's the nasty chlorine chemical!

http://sds.chemtel.net/webclients/ram/XBER0905.pdf