Author Topic: do you like long ratchets? matco cfr308lfr  (Read 4889 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
do you like long ratchets? matco cfr308lfr
« on: April 22, 2021, 08:16:46 PM »
i have been lusting for a long locking 1/2 flex ratchet for quite some time. when i stumbled on this baby in like new condition for half of retail which is  north of 300 list on the truck i needed it. i actually saw it a week ago and made an offer. the pawnie said it would sell for his asking price over the weekend.  he was wrong and i offered again. this time he bit.

this thing is a beast.  at just over 33 inches it is longer than my klutch 30 inch and my mac hard handle breakers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:20:15 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

Re: do you like long ratchets? matco cfr308lfr
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 08:45:22 AM »
That is a beauty and should force stubborn fasteners into submission. What a great buy. :great:

Offline walrus

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 03:11:57 PM »
That thing is cool, somethings breaking or letting loose with that. Hate to have my knuckles in the way if it breaks though  :-\

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »
As I get older that long handle leverage sure looks good. :bravo_2:

I cant help but think that ratchet mechanism is the weak link in that chain.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 10:41:46 PM »
Never had or needed a particularly long ratchet in any drive size, but things have come up lately that have me thinking.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:44:04 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »
Never had or needed a particularly long ratchet in any drive size, but things have come up lately that have me thinking.

Most people I know have resorted to a cheater bar at one time or another to remove a stuck fastener. It doesn't hurt to have a long flex head at least in each of your drive sizes.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »
as to the comments..
That is a beauty and should force stubborn fasteners into submission. What a great buy. :great:
thats the plan!

That thing is cool, somethings breaking or letting loose with that. Hate to have my knuckles in the way if it breaks though  :-\
As I get older that long handle leverage sure looks good. :bravo_2:

I cant help but think that ratchet mechanism is the weak link in that chain.

i am not to worried about that. i think i have a good feel for it's limits. the length is what actually appeals to me. a think a steady pull on a long  ratchet is better than  more abusive actions on a shorter handle.

Most people I know have resorted to a cheater bar at one time or another to remove a stuck fastener. It doesn't hurt to have a long flex head at least in each of your drive sizes.

i used to be that way in my younger days. maybe i am not as strong or maybe i am smarter. either  way it seems to make more sense. i actually use  that 30 inch breaker way more than i thought i would. i tell everyone i know that if you use larger sized 1'2 sockets you need one. i plan on finding a shorter 1/2 flex to add to the party just for kicks!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 06:19:34 PM »
i used to be that way in my younger days. maybe i am not as strong or maybe i am smarter. either  way it seems to make more sense. i actually use  that 30 inch breaker way more than i thought i would. i tell everyone i know that if you use larger sized 1'2 sockets you need one. i plan on finding a shorter 1/2 flex to add to the party just for kicks!

10-4  that's what I'm finding out. As I get older and stiffer and less nimble I find I obtain or make "helper" devices more often. Cheater bars are not cheating if that's the only way to do something. I used to work solo for hours on hot roofs out in the middle of no where. No longer!

Been a bit of a shocker, noticing all those things in past years that "older folks" needed and I ignored or laughed at. Now I'm scrambling to remember what they all were and trying to buy them.
Like getting lids off of jars. Gee whiz those damn things are tight. Finally found the Jar Key. Makes life in the kitchen alot easier. Figure things that do the same in the shop are worth looking into!

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »
Used my 24" on discbine cutter bars all the time, no room for an impact. Don't worry you'll snap the anvil off at least once if your using it right lol

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 11:18:05 AM »
I have a pair of longer PROTO roundhead Flexers in 3/8 and 1/2,  but I didn't think them particularly long compared to that 33" MATCO.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:53:09 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 02:06:39 PM »
Nice Proto ratchets H&S.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 09:56:08 AM »
Nice Proto ratchets H&S.
They have served me pretty well.

My dad gave them to me when I was a teenager,  but I have no clue where he got them.
He had 'en as long as I can remember and he Sears up and down he never bought them at the flea market or anything,  but theres absolutely no way he'd ever buy a PROTO tool new.

He's as cheap as they come , especially where tools are concerned.
His favorite words are " I don't need anything fancy " and by fancy he means not dirt cheap.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 10:51:28 PM »
Does the Matco have a thicker handle than the shorter sizes?
My long Snappy and Cornwell do.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 06:55:09 PM »
Does the Matco have a thicker handle than the shorter sizes?
My long Snappy and Cornwell do.

i don't know. this is the only 1/2 matco ratchet i have.

i may be getting something similar to compare to it though.  ;)