Author Topic: I said " never " but they got me.  (Read 4738 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I said " never " but they got me.
« on: April 24, 2021, 05:44:23 PM »
I said all I wanted was the drill / impact screw gun combo and wouldn't be buying a whole cordless lineup, I didn't quite go that far but I had an unexpected stimulus check show up and ..........you get the point.
I really just wanted to add the cordless angle grinder and additional battery + charger, but the cordless fan seemed like a great idea for airgun plinking on warm summer days so I grabbed that.
Then I saw the little shop blower and I just had to try it out.
The fan is a no brainer for sure, but I'll see how useful the little blower proves.

Now I've got 5 tools, 4 batteries, 3 chargers, and the lights are cheap enough I may pick one up if the quality is decent enough compared to any of my go-to flashlights.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: I said " never " but they got me.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
Well I think I'm gonna need a bigger battery, the 1.5 and 2ah batteries are nowhere near enough to get much done with the angle grinder.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 12:09:08 PM »
i think you will be pleased. ryobi is not heavy duty but i am also pretty sure you aren't going to be drilling 1/2 holes in boiler plate all day either. good midrange stuff with a nice assortment of tools, especially home/property maintainance stuff.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »
i think you will be pleased. ryobi is not heavy duty but i am also pretty sure you aren't going to be drilling 1/2 holes in boiler plate all day either. good midrange stuff with a nice assortment of tools, especially home/property maintainance stuff.
I have been very happy with my HP compact combo over the past couple weeks.

I just wish I could get the belt clips for them, but the " premium belt clips " are unavailable everywhere.
I thought I had ordered them but the place turned out to be a scam and I was out $16.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 02:55:13 PM »

I just wish I could get the belt clips for them, but the " premium belt clips " are unavailable everywhere.
I thought I had ordered them but the place turned out to be a scam and I was out $16.

I tried modifying my old Makita cordless drills so they would hang off my belt. Picked up some newer belt clips to mess with. Still have a couple. If you see any that might work let me know. Yours for ALOT less than $16!  :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:06:22 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 03:11:34 PM »

I tried modifying my old Makita cordless drills so they would hang off my belt. Picked up some newer belt clips to mess with. Still have a couple. If you see any that might work let me know. Yours for ALOT less than $16!  :D
Thanks for the offer, I don't see anything here that will work.
Those top ones seem to be for the previous generation of Ryobi, and I almost bought them before realizithey wouldn't fit.

I'm sure something could be modified to fit,  I just don't want to modify my tools to make them fit.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 03:32:10 PM »

Thanks for the offer, I don't see anything here that will work.
Those top ones seem to be for the previous generation of Ryobi, and I almost bought them before realizithey wouldn't fit.

I'm sure something could be modified to fit,  I just don't want to modify my tools to make them fit.

OK 10-4

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 04:26:59 PM »
It's Ryobi days, and HD definitely got me again.
This time however they sold me a 4AH battery combo which I needed and the jigsaw that I didn't really need was free.

Btw I have actually found that little shop blower to be very handy, I am glad I impulsively purchased it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:45:12 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »
Some years back I bought the wife a cordless leaf blower for the patio. Ego brand, expensive little devil but damned handy to have around.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 07:20:40 PM »
Ryobi are good for what they are and you can't really complain about the price.  I got a good deal on some Milwaukee M18 tools and built on that, so now I've got a drill, impact driver, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, circular saw, chainsaw, string trimmer and leaf blower along with a collection of batteries from 1.5 up to 12 ah (needed for the yard tools for sure!).  The sheer convenience of not messing with mixed gas for one or two tools or having to grab an extension cord for a quick job is great.

Now I'm eyeballing the pole pruning saw and 3' extension that works with my trimmer :-D

I was originally piecing the tools together to go pull a bunch of parts out of a friend's "field of dreams" wrecks rotting away in his forest.  Some good parts were sitting there going to waste and he was more hoarder/packrat than anything else.  Unfortunately he passed away last year and I never did have time to get in there like I wanted.  Had even planned to take my generator out with me so I could recharge batteries!  (Sure, I could have run the tools of the generator but then I'd have to mess with cords and the place was a maze...)

I don't think you'll regret committing to a collection of cordless tools like that, and Ryobi should serve you well.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 10:07:09 PM »
Ryobi are good for what they are and you can't really complain about the price.  I got a good deal on some Milwaukee M18 tools and built on that, so now I've got a drill, impact driver, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, circular saw, chainsaw, string trimmer and leaf blower along with a collection of batteries from 1.5 up to 12 ah (needed for the yard tools for sure!).  The sheer convenience of not messing with mixed gas for one or two tools or having to grab an extension cord for a quick job is great.

Now I'm eyeballing the pole pruning saw and 3' extension that works with my trimmer :-D

I was originally piecing the tools together to go pull a bunch of parts out of a friend's "field of dreams" wrecks rotting away in his forest.  Some good parts were sitting there going to waste and he was more hoarder/packrat than anything else.  Unfortunately he passed away last year and I never did have time to get in there like I wanted.  Had even planned to take my generator out with me so I could recharge batteries!  (Sure, I could have run the tools of the generator but then I'd have to mess with cords and the place was a maze...)

I don't think you'll regret committing to a collection of cordless tools like that, and Ryobi should serve you well.
Another bonus with the one+ line is the 25 or something years they've been using this battery design.

If you have to buy something entirely new every few years you might look elsewhere, but Ryobi was smart to stick with a format that works.
It's great when you can add this or that latest tool to your arsenal and not have to Invest in a whole new system.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 10:27:35 AM »
Ryobi is great for DIYers, happy with mine for the price

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 10:49:23 AM »

Another bonus with the one+ line is the 25 or something years they've been using this battery design.

If you have to buy something entirely new every few years you might look elsewhere, but Ryobi was smart to stick with a format that works.
It's great when you can add this or that latest tool to your arsenal and not have to Invest in a whole new system.

My feelings exactly.  I went without cordless tools after my third or fourth tool/battery became a doorstop and I either couldn't find a replacement battery or they were more expensive than a new tool.  I'll have to check my old Ryobi drill to see if it's part of the stable system though.  It was a workhorse but maybe only 12V or something like that.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 11:04:36 AM »
Ryobi is great for DIYers, happy with mine for the price
Even my grandmother has been getting into Ryobi for yard equipment.
Apparently she was surprised to see Ryobi making tools because she remembered when they used to make fishing equipment.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 02:45:27 PM »
In 2012 I splurged on  the DeWalt 20V 3/8 drill and the little impact driver.  Since.then got the 1/2 in. impact.  Running the original batterys,  seldom have to recharge them during the day.  Impact nearly as powerful as my Ingersoll impacts.  We came across a Ryobi 18V set, 6 pieces, used, wont keep up with the DeWalt, but the flashlight and 5 inch saw are real useful.  The DeWalt batteries will recharge in 20 minutes, and in remodeling get used hard.  Oh the used Ryobi set, which included the case, roto-zip, chopsaw, vacuum, and sabresaw, set us back $45.